How much does apple “leak” between devices?

onesea

Work have decided to give us iPads, however I already have one.

Not saying I do anything dodgy however.. work also use chrome, Microsoft, one drive etc as I do. I have had issues with these getting clever and merging contacts documents etc.  

Should I set up a second iCloud account will having google, Microsoft accounts set up on 2 different devices on one account be fine.

Advantage of 2 different accounts minimum “leakage”,

Disadvantage no app paid sharing between devices, 

Any thoughts.  On my android phone and laptop all my work dealings happens in a separate browser with no link to apps on my phone.  It’s clunky but it works.

Edited by onesea

I’m not sure what you mean.  The point of iCloud is to share your data across all devices that are signed into the same iCloud account. So you can view (for instance) photos taken on your iPhone phone on your Mac without physically transferring the photos over. If you have two iCloud accounts. One for personal use on your iPhone and Mac, for instance. And another account for work that is only used on your iPad, then this becomes impossible unless or until you sign out of your personal account and into your business account on your iPhone. (Or Mac) and then it depends on your settings what is available. You might have confidential, highly sensitive data on your iPad as well as photos that aren’t important. You can make those photos available to your other devices while the more sensitive documents can only be seen by your ipad. And no one and nothing else. If there is any leakage then that is because you’ve allowed it.

2 hours ago, Gerontious said:

If there is any leakage then that is because you’ve allowed it.

From experience It’s easier said than done, keeping Microsoft and android accounts from merging…. 
Both me and partner have accounts and information clearly leaks on occasion.  The fact that new iPad just tried grabbing details from this one in set has convinced me 2 accounts…

10 hours ago, onesea said:

From experience It’s easier said than done, keeping Microsoft and android accounts from merging…. 
Both me and partner have accounts and information clearly leaks on occasion.  The fact that new iPad just tried grabbing details from this one in set has convinced me 2 accounts…

What details?

3 hours ago, Gerontious said:

What details?

I turned work one on and it asked if it wanted set up from the near by device, the other IPad had window open asking me to confirm.
I did not go further but I am guessing it was  setup apps etc if it’s anything like android.

I don't know anything about android, only item I have that runs that is my sat nav.

what you describe is absolutely normal.

When you buy a new iPad or anything like that and you already have an apple device it will ask you if you want to set it up using the same iCloud account. so that the items you use on your old device,  things like contacts. browser shortcuts. bookmarks. messages. email and so on are shared between the devices, so if you then pick up your new iPad, it will be mostly identical to your old one.

When I bought my first iPhone it did exactly the same and items I use a lot on my Mac were shared. It will ask you exactly what you do or do not want to share. and this has to be agreed with on both devices. This is so, if I normally use a Mac at home and want to travel with an iPad, everything I need that is on that Mac is accessible from the iPad. (everything I allow - that is)

Or, if I trade in my old phone for a new one... within a few minutes the new phone is set up exactly like the old one was... with all my important stuff in the correct place or available if I need it.

if I said no. or clicked cancel none of this will happen. If I then set up the new device with its own iCloud account it will be ignored by my other devices, just like my workmates iPhone is at work. When I arrive at work my iPhone doesn't ask me if I want to share with a nearby device. her phone. It's ignored.

If you set up a new device with its own unique iCloud account it will be ignored by your other devices just as if they belong to your next door neighbour or some random stranger you might pass in the street.

There cannot be any data leakage under these circumstances.

Edited by Gerontious