Car License has AM printed on the back of it - does this mean you can ride 50cc without the CBT?

PurePureWater

Sorry if this is beaten to the death but the way many sites are worded are confusing me.

Recently got my driving license and AM, C1 AND BE are all dated on the back. 

What is AM bike? The gov website makes it sound like you have to do a CBT and if that is the case for 50cc do you only have to do the CBT once? Unlike for 125cc.

I am confused only as doesn't this license imply it is a AM license allowing one to ride whatever AM type bike is?

Thank you!

On 24/03/2022 at 19:01, Stu said:

Hi and welcome to the forum 

When did you pass your driving test? this will dictate if you have a moped licence or not 

Sorry for late reply ^^ I passed this year a month or so a go :c I know it says after 2001 you need to do a CBT. But does the CBT expire if I want to ride a Moped after 2 years or does that stay forever and you only need to get the motorcycle category licenses if you want to ride a 125cc hassle free or a bigger bike etc?

I noticed the poster above the webpage says no restrictions for category A or A1 bikes? Do those need a CBT? Thxn :)

• 2 months later...

if you have a car license on or after 1 February 2001 and you do a cbt that allows you to ride a moped 49cc under, for the duration of your car license, without l plates and you can take a pillion. You only have to do it once. Anything over 49cc will require cbt every 2 years or until you get your bike license.

5 hours ago, muddycrox said:

if you have a car license on or after 1 February 2001 and you do a cbt that allows you to ride a moped 49cc under, for the duration of your car license, without l plates and you can take a pillion. You only have to do it once. Anything over 49cc will require cbt every 2 years or until you get your bike license.

No thats wrong! 

Its if you obtained a license before 1st Feb 2001 you get a moped licence 

After this date you have to either do a test or CBT to ride one 

11 minutes ago, Stu said:

No thats wrong! 

Its if you obtained a license before 1st Feb 2001 you get a moped licence 

After this date you have to either do a test or CBT to ride one 

Taken from. Gov

You passed your driving test on or after 1 February 2001

You’ll get a full moped licence if you either:

• pass your car driving test and then complete a compulsory basic training (CBT) course
  • complete a CBT course and then pass your car driving test within two years

You can then ride a moped (up to 50cc) without L plates. You do not need to take the full moped test.

You can ride mopeds for as long as your car driving licence lasts.

13 minutes ago, Bender said:

Taken from. Gov

You passed your driving test on or after 1 February 2001

You’ll get a full moped licence if you either:

• pass your car driving test and then complete a compulsory basic training (CBT) course
  • complete a CBT course and then pass your car driving test within two years

You can then ride a moped (up to 50cc) without L plates. You do not need to take the full moped test.

You can ride mopeds for as long as your car driving licence lasts.

I stand corrected! 

Is this a recent change as I'm pretty sure it never used to be like that! :?

Yes as long as you do a CBT after passing your car test, or had one when passed after 2001. You can ride a moped without doing more CBT courses.

Before 2001 you get the moped licence automatically.