New bike for a noob…ish

Muttley

Hi guys, I’ve never posted on a forum before and not sure I’m posting in the correct thread but here goes 😬.

I recently passed my full licence and in my excitement got a old Suzuki Bandit 600 to cut my teeth on. I am now however in the market for a new bike after getting tired of assuring people “Yes it does have a valid MOT” and “No, that parts not fallen off my bike”.

I have been considering a used Honda CB650R (2019) or a Yamaha XSR700 and would value anyones thoughts or suggestions.

unfortunately I don’t have a garage and when the weather gets bad, it will be stored on road/ driveway/ rear garden within all the weather covers Oxford can provide.

ideally a bike that is reliable, sturdy, low maintenance and doesn’t mind abit of rain or going on the motorway.

My knowledge of bikes is rather limited to toilet seat research and YouTube.

PS.

Would have loved a Harley 883 / Street Rod but I’m guessing they don’t like the rain too much.

Thanks in advance for any comments/ advice/ suggestions or criticism 😁.

Maybe an sv650 the x model also looks great, has a nice v twin engine. I know last month they were doing 2.9% Apr deals and £500 test ride incentives that was only on new models there are some nice 2nd hand ones out there but 2nd hand prices can be a little high presently 

If you're looking for a bike that is (as you say) sturdy, reliable, low maintenance, doesn't mind the rain and can cope with motorways then my choice would be to look around for a good older Honda. The build quality of the pre-2010 bikes is better than anthing made later. There are bikes out there with low mileage because many people just don't ride them very much.

I have a 2018 Triumph Bobber 1200 which is brilliant but it wouldn't last a winter outdoors or on winter roads with salt. For my workhorse I have a 2006 Honda CBF500 which is sturdy, reliable, easy to maintain, cruises easily at motorway speeds and has survived many winters of hard use. When I bought it about 7 years ago I looked at new Hondas that were a year old and saw the beginnings of corrosion in the hard to reach places, so I spent less on an older used bike that has been totally bulletproof.

The thing with bikes is that you need to ride them to know if the bike suits you. For a workhorse I prefer a twin as they are much easier to work on and I like the characteristics of twins.

If you need to keep a bike outside make sure you protect it with something like ACF50 as even under a cover they will get damp.