Touring advice: 2 up, short rider.

wasdonkey

Hi, hoping for some advice from the group from some fellow short riders that have found themselves wanting to travel some distance with a pillion. I've found lot's of info about, reviews, youtube videos, top tens etc. but I still don't seem to have a clear idea of what to purchase.

The background - I'm short (5'6''/short legs), riding a Ducati Monster regularly for 3 yrs, license for 10+. We've decided a touring trip is going to happen this summer (Scotland, from south UK) and the hunt for the right bike has started. The plan would be to stay on tarmac/easy roads. I'm a confident solo rider, less so 2-up only riding occasionally on the Ducati. I can't say I love the extra weight. Pillion seat must be comfy (backrest/topbox required). Like a bit of grunt. Like gadgets.

After reading as much as I could, the BMW R1250RT (with low seat) seemed like a good fit. Took one out yesterday, comfy, fun, super heavy, awkward? I was concerned that without luggage/pillion it was already heavy enough off the side stand. Now I'm wondering if what I'm actually after is an adventure style bike, which, as a short ass doesn't leave me with many options I don't think... (Triumph Tiger 900 GT Low?).

Anyway... I'd really appreciate a few pointers:

1) other bike recommendations for a short rider / 2-up trips?

2) adventure or sports tourer?

3) heavy bikes - do you get used to them or will you always feel like you're one dodgy junction away from dropping it? ...and will this be a problem in Scotland?

Thanks for any help in advance.

Edited by wasdonkey
model revision

As an owner of the R1200RT I find it concerning that you find the R1250 heavy!! 

They are a really well balanced bike and the weight is distributed well and is low down I had an FJR1300 before this and it was at least 15kg lighter but is was more cumbersome and top end heavy and an absolute pig in slow moving traffic 

I think and adventure style bike will feel heavier due to how high the weight is 

I had about 4 hours on the R1250RT. At 20mph+ it was a great ride, I had no issues whatsoever. Manoeuvring (engine off) on/off the drive was difficult, stopping at difficult junctions nervy and slow tight corners & u-turns awkward at best. All I could think about when I got home was being fully loaded with hairpins...gulp.

To clarify, it could well be that I'm only used to sub 200kg bikes. Also the demo bike only had the stock seat (805mm) which could be reduced with a low seat (to 780mm) and would probably help with some the above - I was on tip toes.

Interesting observation on the adventure - thanks!

You could consider the R1200R/R1250R. Comfy, good 2 up but obviously not very good weather protection. Around 40kg lighter than the RT depending on version and the weight is lower down

Edited by keith1200rs

You just need to get out and take a few out on demo rides. I have an Africa Twin everyone said it was too tall and heavy it was a perfect fit for me

At 5'6" I'd say my choice wouldn't be your choice. You really just have to go and try them. Tiger 900 is a great bike I'm sure you can get out on a test ride. I made sure I did test rides with the wife on the back to get a good representation of what it will be like. Loved the electronic suspension on the Honda. A year in nearly and it was the perfect choice don't rush into it and make an informed decision. 

I agree with what Mike says, make a short list and test the life out of what you come up with.  Most dealers are happy to let you take them out for a good run.  You may struggle a bit with an adventure bike, they're pretty tall, even when lowered.  The Triumph 900 is a great bike, I did test ride one.  For me, I found it a little top heavy, in stock form it's also pretty tall, not sure what it's like lowered.  Have you considered the Tracer?  Capable bike, nice low centre of gravity, forgiving and manoeuvrable.  My big gripe with the Tracer is the suspension, it just depends though on how much weight you intend to load it with?  I upgraded the suspension for Nitron, it definitely gave an improved ride but it still isn't perfect.

I'm also a shortarse, about same as you at 5'6" and not long legged. I bought the R1250RT last year and am very happy with it. Yes, it's quite a heavy bike, but all the weight is low down. When you are touring it is all day comfy and a very capable mile muncher, cruising effortlessly at legal limits, even on the Autobahn 🙂.

A couple of years ago I had a Tiger 800, that I found, was top heavy and a bit gutless and didn't offer what I like in a bike.

As stated there a lot's of options so best go out and give them all a try.

Thanks for all the feedback!

For anyone who reads in the future looking for my conclusion (so far). Whilst a decision has not been made just yet, I did manage to try a R1250RT low seat and it made very little noticeable difference to be totally honest. I've concluded this isn't the one for me.

I did however manage to get a ride on a R1250GS Adventure (with lowered suspension and low seat) and it was a joy to handle/ride. For a bike that isn't far away weight wise from the RT it is amazing how different it felt. I'm going to explore a little further down this route now.

No Tiger 900 GT Low anywhere near me to ride, although I did get a sit on a 900 GT with low seat and felt this wasn't the one for me either.

Thank again for all the advice, appreciate the quick replies! 

Keep us updated with your final choice and good luck. 

One thing to watch with bigger bikes is the only gripe with my Honda is how much it leans over on the side stand. I have to put a bit of thought onto where I park it up sometimes. Easy to set down not so to get back up off the stand. 

Failing that some 70s glam rock shoes may solve the problem! 

12 hours ago, wasdonkey said:

I did however manage to get a ride on a R1250GS Adventure (with lowered suspension and low seat) and it was a joy to handle/ride. For a bike that isn't far away weight wise from the RT it is amazing how different it felt. I'm going to explore a little further down this route now.

Which is odd as every GS I have had a sit on they are far taller than the RT even the low ones :? 

Was the seat height adjuster put on the lowest setting too as well as having the low seat? 

Seat heights for the GS 

800 / 820mm - Low Suspension Kit (Option)

790 / 810mm - Low Front Seat (Accessory) incl. Low Suspension Kit (Option)

820 / 840mm - Low Suspension Kit (Option) incl. Black Seat (Option)

840 / 860mm - Low Suspension Kit (Option)

890 / 910mm - Standard Seat

880mm - Low Rallye Seat (Accessory) 

900mm - High Rallye Seat (Accessory)

Seat height for the RT 

760/780mm - Low Seat (Option/ Accessory)

805/825mm - Standard Seat

830/850mm - High Seat (Option/ Accessory)