Modifications and insurance

Throttled

If it’s not how it came out the factory then it should be declared. They will make the decision as whether it makes any difference to them. In the event of a claim if they see modifications then they may use this as a reason it to pay out. 

I’ve found that adding tail tidys, crash bungs and lights make no difference to the cost of the policy. 

There's a difference between accessories and modifications.

This page is quite helpful, I guess other insurance companies have similar.

https://www.devittinsurance.com/motorbike-insurance/modifications-explained-accessory-or-modification/?amp=1

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bungleaio said:

If it’s not how it came out the factory then it should be declared.

Except if you're insured with bennetts and their policy states whats already covered as per my first post

Other insurance companies do the same so do check with them! 

On 25/07/2022 at 17:11, daveinlim said:

I can see how someone fitting a roll cage to a car would be a red flag for insurers. But you can't accidentally drop your car and it fall on its side. Crash bungs or the likes should free to add for bikes, it's a precaution against a genuine issue. 

They seem awfully popular on track days for just being something to stop a bike falling over. 

I think every so often insurance companies must change the way they look at certain modifications. Things like Sat nav, extra lights were never put on bikes years ago.

While quick shifters and cruise control are becoming increasingly popular as options to add later.

I remember in the 90's when they got really picky and started refusing claims on the different tyres fitted to a bike.

I've just changed my bike and told my insurer.

I'm with MCE so it's hardly worth the paper it's written on.

The asked if I had any mods, I said yes.

They asked if I had NOS, or a turbo or a supercharger. I said no.

And that's all they wanted to know. They said all other mods are covered and I don't need to detail them. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, daveinlim said:

I've just changed my bike and told my insurer.

I'm with MCE so it's hardly worth the paper it's written on.

The asked if I had any mods, I said yes.

They asked if I had NOS, or a turbo or a supercharger. I said no.

And that's all they wanted to know. They said all other mods are covered and I don't need to detail them. 

You mean all other mods are pointless as they won't pay out 😁 

1 hour ago, Bender said:

You mean all other mods are pointless as they won't pay out 😁 

Ya that's why they don't need to know, they won't cover them anyway. I've an end can, tails tidy, heated grips and a new screen. Nothing major that would change performance. I was tempted to get a quote for a turbo though 🤔

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, daveinlim said:

Ya that's why they don't need to know, they won't cover them anyway. I've an end can, tails tidy, heated grips and a new screen. Nothing major that would change performance. I was tempted to get a quote for a turbo though 🤔

Don`t bother !

When I first got the supercharged Busa sorted I had it road legal for a while even though it was primarily aimed at Straightliner`s events.

I swear it would have been easier to get an arsonist a job in a fireworks factory  than getting sense out of some insurers !

In the end that wasn`t the reason I stopped using it on the road lol.

Cheers

Ian

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ian Frog said:

Don`t bother !

When I first got the supercharged Busa sorted I had it road legal for a while even though it was primarily aimed at Straightliner`s events.

I swear it would have been easier to get an arsonist a job in a fireworks factory  than getting sense out of some insurers !

In the end that wasn`t the reason I stopped using it on the road lol.

Cheers

Ian

Don't worry, I won't be charging my new 600.

If I want more power I'll get a 1k.

I had a long chat with Hastings. They are a broker, so they got in touch with their underwriter and the sad answer for me, is that Hastings and their underwriter are very strict with modifications. They agreed a side stand puck is not a side step, but that made no difference to the cost. They also refused to tell me what mod, or if it was the total number of mods, that was causing the price increase, which is unreasonable.  I would now not recommend Hastings and I see others are not so strict about mods. Indeed, for now on, I will check to see before getting a quote.

• Like 1

On 25/07/2022 at 20:27, Stu said:

And this is the reason I am with bennetts insurance 

Other insurance companies do the same so check the policy wording before declaring mods and buying is what I do 

2022-07-25 20 25 35.png

It was the small print of the policy that had a list like that, which Hastings said were mods and had to be declared. I think that makes Hastings pretty much useless as a bike insurer.

• Like 2