Eifel/Luxembourg 2023

Gerontious

How about that?

Long time ago I gave up on any hope that there would ever be a street view available for the Eifel.. or indeed anywhere in Germany and suddenly. (as if by magic) there is.. not exhaustive but I guess that's just a matter of time. its a good start anyway.

our area.

Screenshot2023-08-02at06_48_52.thumb.png.02cfa60b510e4233f449c35b6adf28d7.png

A familiar eatery.

Screenshot2023-08-02at06_51_14.thumb.png.acc7fadbe52e4d1270a8c98a93d12cb0.png

A random Castle... there are a lot of them.

Screenshot2023-08-02at06_57_19.thumb.png.45ba8b31f096eb38aee12810ff4b9f08.png

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bonio said:

Wowser. Route planning suddenly becomes 2 times easier!

I was a bit disappointed that I can virtually ride south into the village, but not carry on down the L10 past the Schloss towards Sinspelt. I’ll look forward to the next data-dump.

never mind eh.. 4 weeks on Sunday and we’ll be doing it for real. Sorta…  ish.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bonio said:

That section of road from the bridge and on into Germany is a cracking road. At it least it was when I rode it in June :D

You'll just have to close your eyes and imagine its all new. I try to do a different route there every year and we've never done this one before. I don't want to revisit the road where sideways went sideways into the ravine. and we've done crossing at Dasburg and Vianden to death. So this is it. I have an idea, ride it upwards backwards. figure it out. sing a hymn. or a carol. or maybe recite something jolly by Walter de la Mare translated into sermo plebeius. or sermo vulgaris. your choice.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Quick heads-up. a change in the law that I certainly didn't notice in June. but suddenly became glaringly obvious due to an email today from Eurotunnel.

Important - You must add Advance Passenger Information (API) to your booking for all passengers before you check-in. This is a requirement by law for travel between the UK and the EU, failure to do so will mean you are unable to travel.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Gerontious said:

Quick heads-up. a change in the law that I certainly didn't notice in June. but suddenly became glaringly obvious due to an email today from Eurotunnel.

Important - You must add Advance Passenger Information (API) to your booking for all passengers before you check-in. This is a requirement by law for travel between the UK and the EU, failure to do so will mean you are unable to travel.

Same. I'm planning on doing it the night before.

On 14/08/2023 at 15:55, Gerontious said:

I’ve just done mine, it remembered my details from the last time I just had to confirm them. 

Still need a few euros out but other than that I’m good to go, 9 days now. 

• Like 1

Just ordered some euros through Sainsbury's they have a rate sale on so they are doing €1.1489 to £1. As sales go it's pretty rubbish but it's a better rate than it was last week. 

I'm going to pick them up on Saturday. Just got to get the panniers out of the loft and fit them to the bike on Sunday, I'll chuck a few things in them ready to leave on Wednesday night at 5pm. 

• Like 1

In a fit of enthusiasm Ive booked the bike in for new tyres. something different as I haven't been overly impressed with the Trail Attacks. Going for Pirelli's this time. So, they will be fitted in the nick of time, next Friday morning.

I have 5 more shifts to plough through, finishing 7am Friday Morning. so no rushing home to bed. and then Im not due back until Thursday 14th.

Just one more week. endless.

20160906_M80_BBB_Eifel-12.thumb.jpg.667c4436020562e424cde2ecffc25eb2.jpg

• Like 2

I'm buzzing for the trip, still got loads of work to do but whatever happens I need to be on the road by 18:00 next Wednesday. 

Weather isn't looking amazing but I don't care. I'm looking forward to some saray grill as we missed it last year

image.thumb.jpeg.5197bb49750547570d80ef52e485601f.jpeg

• Like 2

Fridays are days off for me, underserving scabster that I am. Bank holiday Monday, so only three more days at work between now and the Saray Grill. :classic_biggrin:

20220904_185118.thumb.jpg.80c0fe009de95109be3f3749fba33ee4.jpg.

• Like 1

Exhausting. I remembered to pick up a bottle of shower gel today which wore me out. I would have a lie down but I have to work. Rampaging schizophrenics await, one of whom is in the throes of paranoid delusions, which are quite distressing but I secretly find highly amusing - I love his periscope. Too much. There’s something ingenious about a home made periscope. Blue Peter has a lot to answer for.

it’s Saturday isn’t it. Tonight. Sunday and Monday then Thursday. Shits getting real as someone is apt to say.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gerontious said:

Rampaging schizophrenics await, one of whom is in the throes of paranoid delusions.

I had a good friend once who had paranoid schizophrenia. When he was on a wobbly he would turn into one hellishly crazy dude. But most of the time he was good fun. Rest in peace, Chris. Sadly missed.   

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 29/07/2023 at 20:22, Gerontious said:

Who would send me a message like this? Prizes aren’t available for obvious answers. Because the answer is definitely obvious.

Yamaha being the super suitable for international touring TRX850 with modifications.

That rat bast*rd. Does that mean I should be prepping the 400. Hmmmm

Edited by smallfrowne
  • Haha 1