Eifel/Luxembourg 2023

Gerontious

I was forced to pull back on this trip as I didn't know for sure if I would be able to do it this time so soon after my 2 week tour in June.

But, happily its now back on track and in fact everything has now been booked and paid for.

Tunnel return.

Overnight on the Saturday, before crossing on the Sunday morning.

Rooms booked at our favourite hotel.

There are 5 of us going.

@bonio

@Bungleaio

@smallfrowne

@Snod Blatter

and myself. (obviously)

So, the usual formula. Riding south on the Saturday afternoon. staying overnight close to the Tunnel.

We'll be on our way at 8am Sunday morning and arriving in France at 10:55 local time.

Nice relaxed ride into and then across Belgium with a long and lazy lunch stop at the usual services. SPY north of Charleroi. Then onwards towards the Luxembourg border via La Roche and the Northampton. somewhere we always stop. So much of this has now happened so many times its become a tradition. I think this will be the 14th time Ive stayed at this hotel... last time during Covid. on my own, a bizarre experience. Since then Ive done other things and so a week in the Eifel has been low on the priority list and the other guys have done their own thing for these past two or three years. Either not taken the risks involved when Covid was in full swing. or done something different. Like when we went to Ireland a few years ago.

I can just about squeak this one through on my current UK passport. it expires next April. and Im not going to renew it. Im going to replace it and travel in future as an EU citizen. a little act of rebellion on my part.

Our friends at the Hotel are looking forward to seeing us once again as a group. its going to be like old times.

Hopefully this time without any seat-off excitement. Im looking at you @smallfrowne

so looking forward to it now, that its written in stone.  50 days. tick tock.

motorradtouren-eifel-01.thumb.jpg.5bd9e5e09f046601a157f4704209fa9b.jpg

Edited by Gerontious
  • Like 4
  • Confused 1

I saw the original topic; I thought it was very laudable of the OP. Now I'm just confused. I am unsure on my plans yet, but always looking for ideas and help. 

I would like to head to Switzerland, but I may not have enough time. I might only get to have 5 days, so it might be dash to Bussang or Klotten. 

Edited by Pie man

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Pie man said:

What happens in July :popcorn:

I will know if it’s feasible for me to be able to organise a week in the Eifel. Right now I’m unsure and that’s not good enough. I’m not the type that will organise something and then drop out at the last minute. I’ve never let people down and I’m not about to start now. I’ll know for sure by the end of June.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Copycat73 said:

my second most earnest super useful suggestion is don`t rely on other people to organise things for you .. best do it yourself ... to avoid disappointment ...

And you miss the entire point of these trips that I organise, which are specifically aimed at people who have never been abroad before and don’t really know how to go about it. My job is to make it simple and stress free. Once they’ve done it once then they can do it themselves in the future. Which is exactly how things have turned out.

• Like 3

On 15/01/2023 at 19:58, goat said:

I'm going to slip an industrial quantity of laxatives into the drinking water and everyone will shit themselves.

I once did that to my milk at uni, several people had minor cases of the trots.
There was one chap who was rather unwell, 2 days of lectures missed.  Feeling guilty I went to remove offending milk but it was empty after day one.

It was also noted that a new name appeared on the cartons of milk they never needed milk before 😀

After that milk was never “borrowed” for more than a cup of tea. 👍

• Haha 2

On 17/01/2023 at 11:23, Copycat73 said:

i haven`t missed any point ... i just don`t agree with it.. 

:scratch: You don't agree with anyone organising a short trip for others that may not know each other or never been to Europe  

1 hour ago, Pie man said:

:scratch: You don't agree with anyone organising a short trip for others that may not know each other or never been to Europe  

Its not just about people who didn't know each other, aside from names on a forum.

We've had people come who only recently passed their full test and were still nervous riders. people  who had nobody local to them to ride with, no biker mates. people who had been thinking about going to Europe but never got past the thinking stage due to being nervous about going on their own, or their mates weren't interested. or they couldn't afford to pay for an organised tour or were nervous about the itinerary. or sharing a room with a stranger. (their own room is guaranteed and relatively inexpensive). of course once we arrive then they are free to do what they want. I ride every day, but we have had people who joined in a few times and broke that up with a bit of solo tourism. visiting the local city. or just having a day off walking round the village or countryside. Im not going to argue with that, its their holiday after all.

All the rides are geared around the 'weakest' rider.. and I'm not being patronising. we've had people along with very small fuel tanks so I keep them in mind so they don't get stressed about running out. or people who just aren't used to fast riding, (or riding on the right) or as part of a group. I usually ask one of the regulars to keep an eye on them when I can't do so myself. I don't worry about the regulars at all.. they know what they are doing by now and what to do if things go pear shaped.

We all get on like a house on fire. there are no strangers. Ive been away with these guys as a group.. and as individuals. because Ive come to like and respect them. last year I went to the Dolomites with one of them...  he came away with us for the first time, maybe 10 years ago or so. he has a nasty habit of breaking down and managed to do it twice on one trip.. but, no drama. The only drama we ever get is when a drama queen comes along. there have been a couple.

But, this lad (smallfrowne) had a request, he wanted to go to Slovenia. and so we did last June. and he managed to break down just once. no drama.

IMG_0739 2.JPG

IMG_0741.JPG

• Like 7

26 minutes ago, Copycat73 said:

not someone who's reliability is questionable ...  

you obviously can't read.. or deliberately ignored my reasoning. here is a reminder.

On 15/01/2023 at 22:51, Gerontious said:

(in July) I will know if it’s feasible for me to be able to organise a week in the Eifel. Right now I’m unsure and that’s not good enough. I’m not the type that will organise something and then drop out at the last minute. I’ve never let people down and I’m not about to start now. I’ll know for sure by the end of June.

you're obviously just trolling, so off to the ignore section with you. TTFN.