Strange behaviour on startup

Adyb 1250

Go to solution Solved by Adyb 1250,

Here's a confusing one turned bike over nothing no power changed battery ,cleaned connectors checked 30amp on starter checked other fuses nothing connected to jump leads instant power turns over no problem remove the jump leads after 20 mins i turn ignition off and on no power ..  have I missed anything obvious

Other thing to watch out for is even if a battery is showing it's fully charged - 12.6V+ across the terminals - it might not be holding very much charge. So even though a charger will give it a green light, when you put in the bike and the starter motor begins to draw current from it, the voltage quickly drops to the floor. When this happens the battery's knackered and needs replacing. 

8 hours ago, Adyb 1250 said:

Brand new battery put on no power im going to create a new earthing point as it may be frayed somewhere I can't see 

Have you got a multimeter or access to one? 

I don't think it's an earth as putting jump leads on the battery wouldn't bypass it 

What bike is it? 

8 hours ago, Adyb 1250 said:

Brand new battery put on no power im going to create a new earthing point as it may be frayed somewhere I can't see 

A brand new battery isn't always fully charged even if it shows a healthy voltage. I always charge new batteries with a trickle charger before fitting.

How did you attach the jump leads? If you attached the +ve to the battery terminal and the -ve to the frame then you would have bypassed a bad earth strap. On the other hand if both jump leads were attached to the battery terminals and the bike started then it's not the earth strap.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...