Golden oldie with rose tinted spectacles

shiner195

Hi, I have been keeping an eye on the forum for a while. The wife says I need something to do in semi retirement so thinking back to my early days riding I kept eye out for my first bike.

1975 and my best mate had a Yammy rd250, dogs wotsits, revvy, fast, drop handle bars, crap in the rain but you don't care when young and stupid. I couldn't find one for the money I didn't have, so I found a Honda cb250 G5. Not a yammy but I loved it because it was mine. Nearly as fast, great at wheelies still crap in the rain, probably down to the tyres. I dropped it front of a HGV and it nearly killed me. After that it had a permanent oil leak I could never fix and my dad was forever moaning about the oil on his garage floor. As I said, rose tinted and all that. So, I found one recently needs total restoration, it will cost more that I will ever recoup but I don't care. 

I suppose the reason for this story is, does anyone have a similar bike out there, any tips, need to find spares stores, I know about Silvers but is there anyone in the MIdlands? or north of England? Any Jap bike shows next year? I know fleabay has bits but I like a drive out to find bits on a nice day. Anyone have tech specs namely parts lists. Just bought the clymers for it, they were always the best.

Anyhow, enough for now, drop a line lets see what happens, Steve.  PS Merry Christmas to all out there.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, shiner195 said:

Hi, I have been keeping an eye on the forum for a while. The wife says I need something to do in semi retirement so thinking back to my early days riding I kept eye out for my first bike.

1975 and my best mate had a Yammy rd250, dogs wotsits, revvy, fast, drop handle bars, crap in the rain but you don't care when young and stupid. I couldn't find one for the money I didn't have, so I found a Honda cb250 G5. Not a yammy but I loved it because it was mine. Nearly as fast, great at wheelies still crap in the rain, probably down to the tyres. I dropped it front of a HGV and it nearly killed me. After that it had a permanent oil leak I could never fix and my dad was forever moaning about the oil on his garage floor. As I said, rose tinted and all that. So, I found one recently needs total restoration, it will cost more that I will ever recoup but I don't care. 

I suppose the reason for this story is, does anyone have a similar bike out there, any tips, need to find spares stores, I know about Silvers but is there anyone in the MIdlands? or north of England? Any Jap bike shows next year? I know fleabay has bits but I like a drive out to find bits on a nice day. Anyone have tech specs namely parts lists. Just bought the clymers for it, they were always the best.

Anyhow, enough for now, drop a line lets see what happens, Steve.  PS Merry Christmas to all out there.

Good luck with the resto sounds like it will keep you busy. Where in the Midlands are you? 

Honda CB250 General Export Parts List.  It covers general parts by country fitment.  Be aware that while 95% of the parts in this book will be correct, there may well be some parts peculiar to the UK G5 model that are not correct on the list.

You will need to double check things like carbs and carb parts, wiring harnesses, exhausts, lights, esp tail lights, and things like fender extensions and reflectors.

https://www.cmsnl.com/honda-cb250-general-export_model50695/partslist/#.Y6nfh86nw1I

France CB250K4.  Same year as G5.  Probably the better bet for most parts and you can try cross checking UK specific parts against the general export list.

https://www.cmsnl.com/honda-cb250k4-france_model16394/partslist/#.Y6n1F86nw1I

Edited by Tinkicker
  • Like 1

Restored my vintage Honda SS125 a couple of years ago, got most from ebay & David Silvers.

Did buy one part from the USA on ebay aswell.

The exhausts are virtually unobtainable so made my own.

Been to some autojumbles but often left empty handed, never what you want or overpriced tat. But that's all part of the fun.

Often a big jumble at Newark.

20210523_165738-2.jpg

• Thanks 1

As Bianco said there is a big autojumble every month and there are a few scheduled for the race coarse at Stratford on Avon which may be of use. As others have said David silver is probably your best bet for new parts and there is also Honda Motorcycle Parts, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha Motorcycle Parts - ATV, Classic Bike, Dirt Bike Parts (cmsnl.com) . Good luck with the resto. 

• Thanks 1

my thanks to you all some very good idea's. I had a good first look at my new toy this morning I got it on a lift and the first thing is the engine is seized, any idea's apart from the usual derv down the plug hole. That used to work a treat.

Also is there a magic potion these days for removing rust from the inside of a petrol tank??

Paraffin / derv may work (if you give it time) otherwise, it will need a full strip down (I'd do that anyway).

Tank - Use pea gravel to get the worst off (shake for a few hours) - Then use a rust removing acid, finally, recoat with the correct stuff (than the new fuels do not dissolve!)