Pembrokeshire motorcycle tour

Webcharger

Hi,

I hope someone can help out with a motorcycle tour. I need to find a good route through Pembrokeshire wales. Preferably 3 days and staying in accommodation on the way. I’m crap at this however I know a lot of people have some great routes to share. 
I look forward to hearing from anyone that can help. 

Edited by Webcharger

2 hours ago, Webcharger said:

Hi,

I hope someone can help out with a motorcycle tour. I need to find a good route through Pembrokeshire wales. Preferably 3 days and staying in accommodation on the way. I’m crap at this however I know a lot of people have some great routes to share. 
I look forward to hearing from anyone that can help. 

Do you mean spending 3 days in Pembrokeshire? That’s a very small geographical area. You could probably walk around most of it in three days.

Edited by Steve_M

Thanks for your reply.. I will be travelling from Hampshire way and meeting in up in wales. To be honest, a nice loop that’s about 5 hours will do nicely. Good locations and places to visit. If we can do 2 days different routes is great. Use the 3rd day to travel back home.  You can tell I’m not used to this planning malarkey. 
just thought reaching out to you guys in the know. 
thanks guys 

1 hour ago, Stu said:

I would be half temped to do something like this 

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Hampshire/Betws-y-Coed/Aberystwyth/Carmarthen/Hampshire/ 

go as far as you can on day 1 then take your time coming back and book a different B&B for each night 

Looks a good route, other options could be drop down to Rhayader and follow the Elan valley road past the visitor centre and carry on it comes out at Devils Bridge but its a slow steady road with the occasional sheep on the road , at the devils bridge train station is the Two Hoots tea room, nice stopping point for a brew and a sarnie(good value), usually a few bikes there on the weekend. Oh if you go up that way there is also Doms bike stop just off the A49 near Leominster.

Edited by Mick67
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Mick67 said:

Looks a good route, other options could be drop down to Rhayader and follow the Elan valley road past the visitor centre and carry on it comes out at Devils Bridge but its a slow steady road with the occasional sheep on the road , at the devils bridge train station is the Two Hoots tea room, nice stopping point for a brew and a sarnie(good value), usually a few bikes there on the weekend. Oh if you go up that way there is also Doms bike stop just off the A49 near Leominster.

I just let Google maps create that 

I would fine tune it myself and pick some places to visit along the way 

• Like 1

I’ve mocked up a Route on MyRouteApp which has a mixture of roads, most of which I’ve ridden at some point. I’ve assumed Winchester as the start/end - no idea of the best route from there to Wales, mind.

This route can be downloaded to a satnav if you have one.

Wales from Winchester

You’re more than welcome to copy / edit as you see fit.

Or, you might find Simon Weir’s website has resources you could utilise (buy!).

Simon Weir

Edited by Steve_M
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Or here's an answer from ChatGPT

As an AI language model, I don't have personal experience or preferences, but I can suggest a possible route based on research and user reviews.

Day 1: Starting from Haverfordwest, ride towards the coast and follow the A487 to St. David's, the smallest city in Britain. Visit the historic St. David's Cathedral and explore the picturesque harbour and beaches nearby. Then, head north along the B4331 to the charming village of Newport, where you can enjoy a meal and stay overnight at one of the many guesthouses or hotels.

Day 2: Take the A487 south to Cardigan, a market town with a castle and scenic river views. From there, ride east on the A484 and A486 towards Lampeter, passing through rolling hills and valleys. If time allows, stop at the National Woollen Museum or the Cae Hir Gardens along the way. Spend the night in Lampeter or nearby Tregaron, known for its Red Kite Centre and scenic drives.

Day 3: Follow the A482 and A485 to Carmarthen, a historic town with a castle and museums. From there, take the A40 west towards Haverfordwest, passing through the beautiful Preseli Hills and the village of Narberth. Along the way, you can visit the ancient standing stones of Pentre Ifan and the picturesque seaside town of Saundersfoot. Finish the journey in Haverfordwest or nearby towns, where you can unwind and reflect on your adventure.

Of course, this is just one possible itinerary, and you can customize it based on your interests, skills, and preferences. Make sure to check weather, road conditions, and accommodation availability before setting out, and follow safety guidelines and regulations to ensure a smooth and enjoyable ride.

Look at places you may want to visit 

I.e Pendine Sands ... long expanse of sand 7 miles used for land speed records in the past and at allowable times you can take vehicles on.

Tenby . Nice little town and classed as the Welsh Riveria .

Strumble Head ... lovely coastal area .

Llyn Brianne reservior and dam.

Preseli mountains ... scenic views and nice open roads BUT watch for cattle grids and free roaming livestock .

Road surfaces in the areas can be horrendous due to lack of repair and farming industry related debris depending on time  of year .

Some areas are still a bit behind in times ( ie no 24hr shops/fuel ) 

Mobile signal is reasonable but some areas can a struggle especially in buildings.

Coast road to cardigan is ok but can get frustrating with other road users.

Milford Haven  avoid as its a shit hole.

Just remember most Welsh A roads are similar to Good B roads in England

B Roads are generally poor b roads 

A40 to fishguard ranges from Dual carriageway to single carriageway

Anything else are single lane roads but are heavily used especially by the google navigating tourisrts or locals .

• Like 1