first time touring with my wife

liam rowley

hi all   ive only just joined this forum ,I'm travelling from co  Galway in Ireland to holyhead ferry-port in wales in June im looking for a scenic route to the south west of England  stopping along the way but eventually making my way to dover to take a ferry to Cherbourg to tour France for a week or so . any tips or suggestions greatly appreciated 

• Like 2

Stay in Wales. and only cross into England when you must. And the river Severn at Gloucester. then through the cotswolds and across the Wessex downs.. avoid Stonehenge. Avebury is proper impressive. Though you could see both. Then through the South Downs and on to Dover.

Edited by Gerontious
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Fiddlesticks said:

Agree. Planning something similar from the Wirral. Could get to Folkestone for the tunnel in 5 hours on the motorway, but where's the fun in that?

+1 Agree with the above's. However I prefer to blatt it down to Folkestone, I don't mind the 5hrs of grin and bear it, I just want to get out of the country and enjoy the roads and countryside abroad.    

• Like 1

You taking the ferry from Poole or Portsmouth?

Agree with the above. Stay in Wales or Shropshire's as long as you can. Once you're in England avoid major roads and large towns.

If you're heading for Portsmouth, then something like this would work: head for Leominster (almost any route there from Holyhead will be a good one), then Ledbury, Tewekesbury, Lechlade Shrivenham, then dodge between Andover and Newbury to join the Winchester by-pass, nip up onto the South Downs before turning south to Portmouth.

The ferry from rosslare to Cherbourg is costing €1000 return , we can get the dublin to Holyhead and Dover to Calais ferry for less than €300 return . In Regards to the journey from Holyhead to Dover we’re not in a hurry just want to cruise along and take in some beautiful countryside scenery, also we’ve family in whistable in Kent and reading whom we are going to visit on the way back from France 

all advise greatly appreciated thanks 

• Like 3