Failed CBT - feeling a bit useless

Hi all, a bit of background - I have had a driving licence since 1981 and passed my CBT and theory test a few years ago intending go on and take DAS but family issues and covid got in the way so both lapsed. I had also done a try out on a 500cc arranged by the school and loved how much more planted the big bike felt.

Today I went for CBT again, on a geared bike, the other two students were on autos, and I really struggled on the figure 8s, U-turns, clutch control was rubbish and I was either stalling the bike or revving like a demented thing to the extent that I was dreading going out on the road and was almost relieved when the instructor said I should stop and come back for further training. 
So all told a bit of a rubbish experience and feeling a bit useless as everyone I see out and about on bikes make it look effortless.

Thanks for reading. Whinge over, feel free to commiserate, heap mickey-taking abuse or offer advice.

• Like 1

Rough day. It's like that sometimes. I find sometimes when I'm crap at something then go back to it after a few weeks my mind has subconsciously figured it out in the meantime. You might find the same  give it another go watch a few YouTube videos for tips in between and you'll probably ace it.  

You can do it, we've all had bad days and set backs. Just go back and try again another day. If it's any consolation, I went out today on my bike with the intension to test ride a KTM 890. I rode like a Tw*t, so I turned around and went home 🤣. I will try again next weekend. 😀

• Like 1

You just need a bit more practice - you will get there 

I think if the others were on autos it gives you a harder stick to beat yourself with - gears are trickier - at the start - until you automate some of it :)

Chin up 

• Like 1

Your not the first you won’t be the last, if you have not paid already try FB and finding another school in the area.  

A change of instructor can make a big difference.

It took me 2 attempts.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, onesea said:

Your not the first you won’t be the last, if you have not paid already try FB and finding another school in the area.  

A change of instructor can make a big difference.

It took me 2 attempts.

Thanks. No complaints at all about the instructor, he was very patient and helped as much as he could. It was all down to me. 

• Like 4

Don’t beat yourself up over it. Go back and have another crack, or possibly find an instructor who will give you a bit of additional time and coaching. The place I did my DAS course had CBT courses running as well and there were a few students where they said  just come back for another afternoon and get a bit more time under your belt. 

I don’t recall even recall having to do a figure 8 for mine, and I spent the whole road ride with my helmet not done up. Luckily I twigged and cinched it up before the instructor noticed. I stalled it more times than I could count, spent half the time with the indicator on … I literally thought there was no way in a million years I was ever going to get the hang of it. By some miracle I got through it but never had any issues once on the bigger bikes (at a different school). 

Don’t be so hard on yourself. 

• Like 1

Just noticed you are in Surrey, I can strongly recommend 1st Gear in Farnborough, really great and infinitely patient people with a really good training setup. 

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for the encouragement. I’ve got another CBT in a few weeks, theory test after Easter, which I’m not worried about as I nailed it last time. And if all goes well try for DAS. 

• Like 1

On 28/03/2023 at 14:50, Nute said:

Don’t beat yourself up over it. Go back and have another crack, or possibly find an instructor who will give you a bit of additional time and coaching. The place I did my DAS course had CBT courses running as well and there were a few students where they said  just come back for another afternoon and get a bit more time under your belt. 

I don’t recall even recall having to do a figure 8 for mine, and I spent the whole road ride with my helmet not done up. Luckily I twigged and cinched it up before the instructor noticed. I stalled it more times than I could count, spent half the time with the indicator on … I literally thought there was no way in a million years I was ever going to get the hang of it. By some miracle I got through it but never had any issues once on the bigger bikes (at a different school). 

Don’t be so hard on yourself. 

I was amazed at the difference being on a 500cc bike, even just a 2 hour taster, happily pootling along at half walking pace, never stalling and easily doing slaloms, U turns and figure 8s. 

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Feeling much happier today. I took the advice above and changed schools, went with an excellent local one where I’d got my previous CBT in 2018. Only two of us, both on geared bikes so we had very detailed instruction on fantastic little Honda MSX bikes. Clutch control got better as the day wore on and I got the hang of dragging the brake for the slow speed stuff.

Then a very enjoyable couple of hours riding around a nice mix of roads, and a fresh CBT certificate at the end, to add to my theory test that I managed to scrape a pass in a couple of weeks ago.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Dombo said:

Feeling much happier today. I took the advice above and changed schools, went with an excellent local one where I’d got my previous CBT in 2018. Only two of us, both on geared bikes so we had very detailed instruction on fantastic little Honda MSX bikes. Clutch control got better as the day wore on and I got the hang of dragging the brake for the slow speed stuff.

Then a very enjoyable couple of hours riding around a nice mix of roads, and a fresh CBT certificate at the end, to add to my theory test that I managed to scrape a pass in a couple of weeks ago.

Make sure you get your mod 1 and 2 done so you don't have to do it again! ;)

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, KiwiBob said:

Make sure you get your mod 1 and 2 done so you don't have to do it again! ;)

What he says, even if you do it on a 125cc and teach yourself.  Pass first time and it’s cheaper than another CBT.  Plus if they change the rules and make it more difficult you have a licence so your fine.

• Like 2