Homebase / Karcher buyer beware.

Steve_M

At the end of January I bought a Karcher K3 power washer online from Homebase  (my old Karcher had blown up after about 20years so I thought I’d buy like for like). I’ve used the new machine about a dozen times, mostly to wash the bike and car. It has now developed a fault.

I contacted Homebase via their website (and how tricky do they make it to find the relevant form! 😡 ) and their advisor instructed me to contact Karcher.

I emailed Karcher who responded with “if you live near Horsham you could bring it in for us to have a look”. My obvious response being that I live in Cumbria, what’s the alternative?

Then Homebase asked for feedback on their advisor to which I gave negative feedback and referenced the sale of goods act.

🤬

• Sad 4

Had a similar experience with a Nilfisk with a brushed motor.

Worst thing I could have done.

Replaced with a K5 brushless motor and is going strong.

Your contract is with Homebase as you brought it from them, Under the consumer rights act 2015 it is their responsability as the retailer to deal with it. Dont get fobbed off it failed within 6 months so it is up to them to prove you have broken it so you dont need and engineers report.  So its up to them to pick it up free of charge and either fix, replace or refund. Just quote the said act and state the product has to be of reasonable quality, fit for purpose and last a reasonable amount of time for the price paid. Good luck.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, husoi said:

Had a similar experience with a Nilfisk with a brushed motor.

Worst thing I could have done.

Replaced with a K5 brushless motor and is going strong.

I can cope with things going wrong from time to time but as the Customer Service people where I worked pointed out, the true measure is how you deal with the issue. So far, really not very impressed. 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Old-codger said:

Your contract is with Homebase as you brought it from them, Under the consumer rights act 2015 it is their responsability as the retailer to deal with it. Dont get fobbed off it failed within 6 months so it is up to them to prove you have broken it so you dont need and engineers report.  So its up to them to pick it up free of charge and either fix, replace or refund. Just quote the said act and state the product has to be of reasonable quality, fit for purpose and last a reasonable amount of time for the price paid. Good luck.

Excellent. Thank you. I thought it came under the sale of goods act, but I’m obviously out of touch having become accustomed to good service. 

I listen to a radio consumer prog most morning down here on Three counties radio and it is unbelievable how companies still try to fob customers off and to take it up with the Manufactuer even huge retailers and online sellers. Your contract is always with the company that you paid the money to.

39 minutes ago, Old-codger said:

I listen to a radio consumer prog most morning down here on Three counties radio and it is unbelievable how companies still try to fob customers off and to take it up with the Manufactuer even huge retailers and online sellers. Your contract is always with the company that you paid the money to.

I’ve gone back with a (relatively) polite, but clear response quoting the  relevant sections of the act. Thank you, 🙏

• Like 1