France next week..

Fiddlesticks

Off to France on the bike next week. First time on 2 wheels, so I'm trying to think if there's anything I've forgotten.

This weekend's jobs:

• Rear tyre
  • Diff oil
  • oil & filter
  • New mirrors
  • horn replacement

Paperwork

• V5
  • MOT
  • Insurance
  • License
  • European breakdown (Greenflag)
  • Chunnel tickets
  • Passports

Pack Yellow vests

Do advanced passenger thingy

Get some euros

Not bothering with CritAir

How hard can it be?

Seems fine to me.

Just got back from 1863 miles of France and Northern Spain on about the same level of prep.

Go and enjoy yourself and if in the South be aware you will need beer/wine and access to a pool it is decidedly warm this year.

Cheers

Ian

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Fozzie said:

I think you are meant to have reflective strips on your helmet, and sorted it out on my last trip... And then didn't see a single rozzer. 

I read quite a bit on this.  The prevailing wisdom seems to be that you could interpret the rules that way, but it's really for helmets bought in France.

• Like 1

I've heard this is only for French helmets, but I read a couple of stories on other groups from those who say they faced small on the spot fines, which led to me playing it safe. But who knows, could just be coppers trying their luck? :lol: 

Just now, Fozzie said:

I've heard this is only for French helmets, but I read a couple of stories on other groups from those who say they faced small on the spot fines, which led to me playing it safe. But who knows, could just be coppers trying their luck? :lol: 

Good to know. I'll be sure not to stop if I see any blue lights behind me. 👍

I'd add a puncture repair kit if you're tubeless. I know you've got breakdown cover but it's still no fun sat on the side of the road for hours on end, then for hours more as google translate tells you what the man said was, "yeah I can see it a bloody motorbike now, nobody told me that" as he drives off to get a trailer.

Something like this takes up next to no room and will get you to a garage.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/DYNAPLUG®-ULTRALITE-TUBELESS-PUNCTURE-MOTORCYCLES/dp/B00UQPUZUE/ref=sr_1_36?keywords=motorcycle+puncture+repair+kit&qid=1692369630&sprefix=motorcycle+pu%2Caps%2C86&sr=8-36 (oh, and order a few extra CO2 canisters as well).

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Capt Sisko said:

I'd add a puncture repair kit if you're tubeless. I know you've got breakdown cover but it's still no fun sat on the side of the road for hours on end, then for hours more as google translate tells you what the man said was, "yeah I can see it a bloody motorbike now, nobody told me that" as he drives off to get a trailer.

Something like this takes up next to no room and will get you to a garage.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/DYNAPLUG®-ULTRALITE-TUBELESS-PUNCTURE-MOTORCYCLES/dp/B00UQPUZUE/ref=sr_1_36?keywords=motorcycle+puncture+repair+kit&qid=1692369630&sprefix=motorcycle+pu%2Caps%2C86&sr=8-36 (oh, and order a few extra CO2 canisters as well).

Definitely. The repair kit lives under the seat permanently, and the compressor in the tank bag. Did have the mad idea of deliberately sticking a nail through the old tyre before changing it just to prove the process, but I'm not sure I'm that dedicated.

Some years ago I went to Andorra with a group of guys, a couple of who  I knew through work. This is their checklist which I used for a basis* for my own. It’s probably a bit out of date now but it’s a good starting point.

Checklist

*I will emphasis that I have refined this list for my own purposes, both adding and removing stuff from it.

One notable item that appears to be missing is the European Accident Statement forms (What are they about?)  which I found here Forms

Addendum. EHIC or GHC … 

Edited by Steve_M
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Fozzie said:

I think you are meant to have reflective strips on your helmet, and sorted it out on my last trip... And then didn't see a single rozzer. 

these are for helmets bought in France only. Irrelevant to visitors 

2 hours ago, husoi said:

If you're riding through main cities make sure you have the environmental tax paid for.

I believe it's called Crit'Air

The Crit'Air anti-pollution vehicle sticker (france.fr)

you don’t need them for riding through. Only if you intend staying there or parking there.

59 minutes ago, Fiddlesticks said:

Did have the mad idea of deliberately sticking a nail through the old tyre before changing it just to prove the process,

Probably a bit late for you now, but doing what you said is actually a good idea. It might be fine using the repair kit for the first time on a fine dry day, but inevitably punctures happen in the wet, just as it's going dark and those nice paper instructions that you haven't read yet are now just a soggy heap as the wind blew them into the nearest puddle!

Edited by Capt Sisko
  • Like 2

My best advice for France is to use a credit card for all petrol purchases.

Worst case. if you use a debit card and (for example) buy petrol everyday. you could easily find that your balance has dropped by over £400 after 3 days.

Everytime you use an unmanned station  the fuel company will take between £100 and £130. and keep hold of this until the transaction is finalised.

This can soo add up. might trigger your overdraft or even worse, refuse your card due to a (temporary) lack of funds. This happened to @smallfrowne last year. he wanted €30 of petrol. had €70 on his card and he was refused. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Steve_M said:

Some years ago I went to Andorra with a group of guys, a couple of who  I knew through work. This is their checklist which I used for a basis* for my own. It’s probably a bit out of date now but it’s a good starting point.

Checklist

*I will emphasis that I have refined this list for my own purposes, both adding and removing stuff from it.

One notable item that appears to be missing is the European Accident Statement forms (What are they about?)  which I found here Forms

Addendum. EHIC or GHC … 

Sod it.

Here’s my checklist.

• Passport
  • Driving Licence
  • GHC
  • Health Insurance
  • Loaded FX Card
  • Credit Card
  • Insurance Certificate + contact number
  • Registration Document 
  • Breakdown / Recovery Policy documentation. + Contact number 
  • European Accident Statement
  • Ferry tickets
  • Cash (not a lot)
  • Maps
  • GPS loaded with initial couple of day’s routes (ie. to get to where we intend to tour) and POI’s. Route planning is done on a day by day basis.
  • Vignettes (Crit’air, Switzerland and Austria motorway).
  • Autoroute tag (yes, it’s expensive but damn, it saves a lot of fecking around at Autoroute tolls
  • Tour notebook. With addresses at the back in case we send postcards (it has happened). 

• UK sticker
  • Mobile phone 
  • Camera(s)
  • iPad
  • Kindle
  • Chargers  + overseas adaptors
  • Medication
  • Spare glasss
  • 1st aid kit (basically once of those little travel packs full of plasters. I think. I haven’t had cause to open it. Anything more would be a waste ‘Cos I can’t remember my first aid from when I was in the scouts 54 years ago).
  • Puncture repair
  • Spare bulb (I’ve kept that in even though the Beemer has multiple LED lights which, I hope, makes it redundant)
  • Small bottle of oil. We’ll be doing 3,500 miles on our tour this year. The GS has got through about a litre of oil in three and a half years and 24,000 miles. Better than having to buy a litre in Switzerland? 🤔
  • Small head torch. Never had to use it but…
  • Disc lock
  • Hi Vis jackets

Choice of biking clothing is personal but our list.

• Several berghaus / Rohan / whatever walking tee shirts and long sleeved tops, worn as layers. 

• Normal riding kit - we have textiles. Wolf for me and Frank Thomas for my good lady. 

• Waterproofs 
  • Earplugs

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Gerontious said:

My best advice for France is to use a credit card for all petrol purchases.

Worst case. if you use a debit card and (for example) buy petrol everyday. you could easily find that your balance has dropped by over £400 after 3 days.

Everytime you use an unmanned station  the fuel company will take between £100 and £130. and keep hold of this until the transaction is finalised.

This can soo add up. might trigger your overdraft or even worse, refuse your card due to a (temporary) lack of funds. This happened to @smallfrowne last year. he wanted €30 of petrol. had €70 on his card and he was refused. 

Excellent point. I have had funds “retained” a couple of times. I now, as far as possible, avoid unmanned stations.

my approach to fuel is to fill up as early as possible once the displayed range is down to 100 miles, and as close to and before arriving at the evening’s overnight location. This eases the following day’s start.

32 minutes ago, Gerontious said:

you don’t need them for riding through. Only if you intend staying there or parking there.

I couldn’t trust my good lady not to spot a nice roadside cafe and suggest coffee and cake. When I say “suggest”… 🤷

As for flashing cameras. I was flashed 3 times.. much to the hilarity of my happy little follower. so far nothing and its been 8 weeks. however I wouldn't be at all surprised if the demands turn up.. perhaps as a welcome home gift after I get back from Germany on the 10th.

Fines DO follow you home. but it depends on the country involved how quickly it happens. France is ponderously slow.

If any vehicles coming towards you flash their lights... or bikers do a thumbs down. SLOW DOWN.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Gerontious said:

As for flashing cameras. I was flashed 3 times.. much to the hilarity of my happy little follower. so far nothing and its been 8 weeks. however I wouldn't be at all surprised if the demands turn up.. perhaps as a welcome home gift after I get back from Germany on the 10th.

Fines DO follow you home. but it depends on the country involved how quickly it happens. France is ponderously slow.

If any vehicles coming towards you flash their lights... or bikers do a thumbs down. SLOW DOWN.

The French motorists are remarkably supportive I found. Heading out of Thonon-Les-Bains every motorist for about a mile were flashing their lights at the oncoming traffic. Sure enough, a mobile camera.