Tickover problem

billy sugger

I have a weird issue with the 600.

Noticed yesterday morning at work that tickover speed was rough, with a intermittent noise like a small misfire.

At high speed everything is ok, but going home,when moving off in slow traffic it ran like I was in the wrong gear,ie stuttering when I pulled off. Any  ideas guys (and girls) ?

Try looking for any air leaks first 

A good one to do is with the bike ticking over spray a bit of WD40 over the inlet rubbers if the revs change then there's your problem

Also look for any vacuum lines etc and check those 

• Like 1

Hi @billy sugger, sounds to me if it's a Carb bike, that the Pilot Jet is blocked on 1 or more cylinders, easiest way to know, is start the bike up, without choke if you can and no throttle.

Then carefully feel if Downpipes are warm, if you have to use choke then just let bike tickover as soon as you can, without choke. If it is a pilot jet problem the Cylinder in question downpipes will go cold again.

If by using throttle pipes become warm again , you'll  know which float bowl you need to remove to clean pilot jet.

Saves the hassle of stripping the complete  set of carbs down.

Hence it's only on 3 or less cylinders and cough's going back on to 4.

• Thanks 1

Fairly sure its injected? 

If the other peeps ideas dont work, look at the exhaust system.

now this doesn't have a valve in the exhaust so thats rules that out.

check over the whole system, joints, welds and connections including to the block, if there is a tiny hole it effects pressure.

Lamba probe and wire.

Just a list of other things that might not be on the bike but have this trait which might help other people:

exhaust / cat box valve.  

TPS sensor.
a temperature sensor in the air box.

MAF sensors or their wires.

reason being that low air flow and revs is actually harder for the engine and ecu to figure out whats going on than at full or even half revs/load.

Edited by RideWithStyles