Bit of a crash this morning ..

Fiddlesticks

Hi, I'm with @rennie on this one. I'm retired and loving it. Don't make me take a test again, picked up to many bad habits!!

I don't want to be a danger to anyone else, but @RideWithStyles, don't judge all people by their age, I'm 70 next year and have ridden bikes for 52yrs, Took Car test at 58, first 4 wheel vehicle brought at 65.

Still do more miles on the bike than car, Think this year it will be nearly 12000 bike and 9000 car/van, I have underlining problems left knee, which Doctors say needs to be replaced, but I don't want it done!! Seen a few friends who have had it done then had to give up biking, because they kept dropping bike. Still can handle a fully loaded VFR with wife and luggage.

And my main problem is my Right eye has Macular Degeneration, so I have injection in the eye every 4 to 8 weeks, I learn to live with this, and feel I'm not a danger to other road user's.

And over the years have lost quite a few friends, but most of them have died due to the actions of the younger generation, A few years ago in one such accident a elderly couple were out on their bike, and were killed outright when a youngster who was overtaking 6 cars on a bend hit them head-on, he was totally high on drugs and drunk, no licence, nothing, so how do you stop guy's like that!!! 

Sorry got side tracked.  Depending on the medical, would I pass, don't know, can't run, totally overweight, love my beer, eat out around 6 times a week, Haven't been to doctors in over a year, so probably not🫢.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, oldgrump said:

Hi, I'm with @rennie on this one. I'm retired and loving it. Don't make me take a test again, picked up to many bad habits!!

I don't want to be a danger to anyone else, but @RideWithStyles, don't judge all people by their age, I'm 70 next year and have ridden bikes for 52yrs, Took Car test at 58, first 4 wheel vehicle brought at 65.

Still do more miles on the bike than car, Think this year it will be nearly 12000 bike and 9000 car/van, I have underlining problems left knee, which Doctors say needs to be replaced, but I don't want it done!! Seen a few friends who have had it done then had to give up biking, because they kept dropping bike. Still can handle a fully loaded VFR with wife and luggage.

And my main problem is my Right eye has Macular Degeneration, so I have injection in the eye every 4 to 8 weeks, I learn to live with this, and feel I'm not a danger to other road user's.

And over the years have lost quite a few friends, but most of them have died due to the actions of the younger generation, A few years ago in one such accident a elderly couple were out on their bike, and were killed outright when a youngster who was overtaking 6 cars on a bend hit them head-on, he was totally high on drugs and drunk, no licence, nothing, so how do you stop guy's like that!!! 

Sorry got side tracked.  Depending on the medical, would I pass, don't know, can't run, totally overweight, love my beer, eat out around 6 times a week, Haven't been to doctors in over a year, so probably not🫢.

I'm with that man! Not quite so decrepit but getting there.

• Like 2

No dig at age just stated a facts and why they are accurate, not through prejudice.

So you might want to rethink for your own mental check....am i too stubborn and would I actually listen? and do it if your own wife/husband/daughter/son etc said "actually......

Im under no illusion that Some day the day might come for me where i'll have to hang up my keys, i know that and it will be a milestone in life.

I said nothing about retaking tests because if most people that haven't taken a test very recently and for some it isn't necessary for a standard default of well your this old now so you go back to school! But im sure others may say otherwise.

if youve been on the road in driving and not interacted with anyone thats had to pass a test very recently to tell you how its done, Next to nobody would pass first time without tutoring again (some more than others) because dvsa regime to pass a test is very different to how people drive naturally, which brings up a different discussion.

so just to make it clear i can drive competently slow or fast on the road with regard to safety but i would need tutorial if i had to retake a test again because some of the things that you need to do or not, i personally dont feel all of it is necessary on the road with normal situations but thats not the test. to say the test is a waste, is silly and dangerous especially for any new driver. If i was going to suggest something is that it needs a ground up updating.

just that the medical should be more thorough and just to self certify isnt good enough.

I got to know a timer about 70 at the time through a course nice enough been driving longer than ive been living. even with his longer period of living as expected there were somethings that he still didn't know but i did and it was vice versa (because i was younger but im happy to listen, understand And learn from) about driving rules, test and other tips to avoid accidents and other things.
he past his "test" in the army with one of those 8-12 wheeler transports without barely touching the tarmac which to me is still impressive, Now to say that he didnt have an accident in his whole driving career even up to that date is very impressive and to commend.

So to try to balance things...

there are youths that will always be "d1£ks with their pubic hair on fire"  including older ones still to date but sometimes with people they either need a shock treatment to reset or never learn... thats the variety to human brain function that today you cant

stop yet like in the minority report...

Edited by RideWithStyles
  • Like 1