Clutch grabbing

bonio

What happens is this: starting off from rest in 1st gear, I'll add some throttle and let the clutch out and sometimes - like 1 time in 20 - the bike lurches forward unexpectedly. The only way to bring it under control is to disengage the clutch, let the revs die down and start again. Can happen two or three times in a row. And then just once last night it happened going from 1st to 2nd - just a surge and bump and then it settled down. Pretty sure it happens a lot more when the bike's cold.

Looking back, I think this started some while back. At first I put it down to my clumsy clutch action, but it's been getting a lot worse these last couple of weeks, and now it's clear that the bike's doing it, not me.

I'm a complete numpty when it comes to spanners, but, could this be the wrong oil (oil change was 4k miles ago, done by the indy guy up the road)? Or what else should I worry about?

Some bikes have a back torque limiter built in to the clutch 

It's a cheaper slipper clutch really! 

When the engine is spinning below a certain amount or revs it releases pressure on the clutch springs this works two fold by lightning the clutch action but also allowing the plates to slip on overrun preventing rear wheel lock up on down shifts

When above a certain rev range they make the clutch springs pull tighter on the plates and its this that causes the grabby clutch 

This is a common problem on some Suzuki's and Kawasaki's so might be worth checking if you have one! 

A solution to this on the suzuki TLs/r was to weld the clutch centre to stop it operating 

• Like 2