Adventure bikes - East vs West

Smighty

Qm is the same problem as all the previous points mentioned before....

if as you keep trying to convince yourself to get these cheap bikes, cheap is cheap for a reason. Id only bother if you will use it all year round as a work horse, treat it like a throw away product after a few years scrap it or give it to a poor kid to terrorised the neighbourhood till it breaks or crashes.

id just avoid them all. if budget is a issue, no shame in a good well chosen second hand quality bike would be the better option.

There are proper gems out there as i found my current bike when i wasn't actually looking for this particular bike but when i walked in the shop and saw a suzuki gsf650s carbd version at 17yr old, certified under 4 thousand miles (barely run in) in excellent condition at under £3000 from a large bike market, perfect for my requirements and very happy with it.
Ive currently past its 1st year of tender with it, not been a problem and my mechanic would happily buy my bike off me.

whereas my benelli it fitted the bill at the time for the reasons i needed but at the same time i knew there could be problems with it and for a sole reason it was almost worthwhile as id look after it but be prepared to scrap it sooner than i would with any other bike ive had before, and to no surprise very much did develop signs of needing every year. Then it was the months wait for parts (clocks, whole exhaust, handles etc) and faffy of needing numerous dealer visits is annoying.
After the two year warranty - the third was a hash as the dealer changed manufacturer so wouldn't validate the warranty but stated to try a different dealer which luckily they just about allowed it as normally youd think the third is with the dealer bought but the small print is if they are a franchise so they thought id trade it in for another one, nope.

My good hearted mechanic would look at the benelli for me for the next two years (as im a good customer that pays, chats and easy going for him) but i knew he had a well hidden pained face but as a rule he avoids others like that as much as possible unless they are in a real pickle and they understand why it has to cost more to work on something that not designed well.
Even though he knew the bike was looked after while in my care a px for him wouldnt be too beneficial to us both, yes he'd give me better credit than someone else down the road but would still be low and for him really it would take a good while to find a buyer and be on the basis of the other bike, knowing him with good custom to carry with his services.

Would i do it again?....i dont think i need to answer.

Edited by RideWithStyles
  • Thanks 1

@Stu I was copying some technical details about m.bikes in this text box before I erased it and typed a new one. It stored format from another website in the memory for sure (in this case), but for me it did not show that it was changed (see the print screen above).

@RideWithStyles It is the same if I am paying 13k or 15k. Everything above 10k does not make a big of a difference (there is a big one between 10 and 20 tho :D )

The only reason why I'm asking is to find the best value for money. Even if I can pay for it does not mean that I have found the best deal. Also, I don't think that we will do big millage on it (let's say about 4-5k per season maybe, and a huge part of it on an open road). I totally understand your point of view. Sometimes the smallest issue can cost me weeks of not riding, just because of the dealership and maintenance under the warranty.

Managed to try the Norden 901 from Husqvarna. It felt like I'm riding a furnace, so it is off the table. KTM is out as well because (subjectively) it is not an eye appealing one. Honda Africa Twin feels like a working horse (not for my needs). By accepting your suggestions, CF Moto, QJ Motor and Benelli will be skipped. BMW feels like its a rip-off (although I heard a lot of good things about it).

So I am left with: Moto Guzzi v85tt and (did not check it previously when I had a chance) v100 Mendello, Tiger Triumph 900 GT Pro, Kawasaki Versys 1000, Suzuki V-Strom 1050 DE.
If anything else pops out, please let me know and I will gladly search for the dealership here.

now im not one to say this is definitely better bike because i have one type..

Everyone is different, different requirements and appeals so i'll treat it the same of from perspective of plus and minus  as those minus might not bother you...

ktm owns husky and just like vw group just minimal body panel changes allowed.The husky is just the exact same model of a ktm in less kids colours graphics, less comfortable depending on model and costs more.

Well selected Second hand bmw will be a wiser choice over new, serve well, refined choice and hardly lose money on at px time.

guzzi will be costly to buy new and pcp to other brands, has some quirks (engine configuration of a transverse v twin and its style of driv) which may or may not appeal to you,but charming as hell.

kawa and suz, cant go wrong basically but just depends if you like team green with their inline 4 engine or prefer the part red blue team with a v twin engine, but roughly thats main difference.

triumph might not be as fully complished of hitting the high marks as the japs bikes for every box but its still close. The yama is its closest rival especially with engine characteristics, looking far less plastic fantastic, more sophisticated.
The triple engine is just soooo good, sounds awesome, smooth but has something about it to engage, good torque throughout the range and power that not peaky.

now for normally I wouldn't advise the bigger bike 1200 and the 900s power is more than enough but hear me out.

the 900 rear seat is sloped forwards so she'll be tilted forward which may make her butt/spine sore after a while as a presure point, spend time and energy trying not sliding into your back. the pegs for her might be a tad lower to get on but a stretch when on the bike and still see mostly your back. Your seat height abit higher and pegs too into relation so you'll be slightly cramped up and the way its sculpted out might affect parts infront and behind your hips after awhile depending on your size.

the 1200 pillion seat is flatter angled and and the pegs just a tad higher for security while on the bike but nowhere near superbike level of torture. for you the seat is more sculpted out and the pegs are lower for you, that might depend if your more long legged or not.

also springs and valving should definitely be closer out of the box for your weight, without having to go closer to the upper end of its adjustment.

That is my educated guess so definitely try out both properly if the triumph is one you'd consider.

the other manufacturer is ducati, reliably very good these days and they're service is very good. not the cheapest when it does need a service but less often in mileage so if you do the mileage it works out cheaper in the long run, very good residual.

If you stick with the main manufacturers, you cant go wrong, its just finding what fits you both with the correct favour to appeal.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@RideWithStyles thanks mate! So many useful things you've shared...i didn't even think about them.
Italians do have some specific charm, I can't deny it. Before we decided to get an adventure bike, we were looking for choppers.
The above mentioned v85tt is an adventurer but with a has a touch of a chopper. It might go in top 5 choices for the next season :) I am currently negotiating with Moto Guzzi to land me a bike for a week or two (test drive) to see how it is to live with it. Will keep you posted!

PS: I really do love the V2 and inline 3 sounds from Tiger and v85tt...it will be a tough choice

Edited by Smighty

Glad to be helpful, paying it forward!

yep some of my happy times was on a inline 3 even though im back on a inline 4 just because the bike fits my current needs not just its my preferred engine configuration, but i know that they ain't for everyone!

But if your used to and happy with a twin keeping to to a two cylinder or possibly venturing out to a three with be more familiar than a screaming 4. 
going from a chopper to a adventure is a big step so while you get a test ride make sure you get plenty of ride time with them... now due to you not "thinking of them" its always good to think and break things down.

1) positive points - why?

2) negative points -why?

what could be done to address the negs, how much and is it worth it?

would they affect the positive if they got addressed?

Then it's easy to work out its position of long time ownership.

Any more help, just ask us all. 

• Thanks 1