Bullit hunt,s 250

Crow

I recently got a Bullit hunt 250,

for a Chinese bike it’s not too bad ,

my only issue is the top speed is 60 mph, most reviews say a top speed of 80 mph. I’m at a loss for a 250 60 mph is limp. Seems to be running fine

just no top speed, any ideas.

It is an old school bike engine and gear, single cylinder, single cam,

two valves, air cooled, built to last not to go fastest possible, with 5 gear all it will be ever so slightly is feel less stressed than a 125 would be.

Agree with nick, how new? Have tou actually been running it in?

That would be a top speed with tyres at high pressure, 40kg rider, very down hill.

Could be a few reasons, Speedo is inaccurate, higher the speed the worse it is. are wagons/tractors /people over taking you? If not then is say its just the speedo. 
another check is to have someone in front (car etc) doing increments upto 60 anss above for a set time with tou following behind and see if the speedo matches.

the other little things are Tyre pressures too low? Is the chain slack or too t? Brakes slightly binding?

ty for your comments, it’s done 3k miles

i rode it 200 miles back to mine no issues , brakes are free , Iv got a triumph tiger 800 for long journeys, I got this Bullit hunt 250 for local town trips , just disappointed on top speed . I do need to change the cheap tyres for proper road ones ,don’t think it would benefit from upgrading  the sprockets or fuel jets

maybe that’s the way it is and  it’s a plodder .

Worth counting the teeth on the sprockets to see if they've been altered. I can imagine a previous owner could have changed them out if they'd wanted more grunt at lower speeds.

If it was banging into cut out on a flat id guessed it was shorter geared.

Yep thats normal for them and just how the japs set them at era of engine and 5speed gearing. best when tackling slow and rough roads at high altitude while carrying 5sacks of rice and family on the back.

it should sort of briskly or leisurely depending on you out look getting to the top speed but still either a thou or so short of max red line on a flat to the soft cut out.

now these air cooled engines can be abit breathless at high revs and just set up for the next gear, but you still need to balance with 5 speeds.

To test can you go or feel it could be eager to go faster to the top speed in a gear or two lower? But as soon as you hit 5th it struggles or just the same but an extra few mph can be made (how many rpm does it drop from 4th to 5th?)