cordura or textile 2 piece suit's ?

skyrider

14 minutes ago, geofferz said:I'm sure you like your goretex, he didn't say it was bad, or that goretex owners are in some way deluded, just that the cheaper alternative was better. 

I can’t abide him so I didn’t get more than a minute or two into the video.

im not going to revisit it.

Daimese use Goretex and I believe their own… or rather a suppliers version of the same thing called D-dry.

there’s a reason why the Goretex garment is significantly more expensive than the copy and it’s not entirely the price they pay for the membrane or fabric. There are other factors that come into play.

you make your decision based on your needs and available budget. I have no problem with that. As and when it comes time for me to buy a new (probably) pair of trousers. I’ll go for the Goretex laminate. Mine have lasted more than 10 years to this point - so this impending purchase may not happen any time soon.

I’ve bought cheap in the past. And these cheap things never seemed to last. That goes for so many things many having nothing to do with my riding a bike. My mantra is “buy once - cry once” - the only exception are items that have a limited lifespan kinda factored in.  I wouldn’t pay £100 for something with a life span of a year or two when I can pay £25 and get the same result.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, RideWithStyles said:

Wow Gero who slapped your cheeks? 

miss whitehouse in 1974 when I was caught smoking behind the gym. A mere slip of a lad at 12 years old. Fortunately I didn’t enjoy it so later in life I didn’t develop any odd fetishes. Or odd fancies.

my one and only brush with corporal punishment. My mum wrote her a letter and from then on she never acknowledged my existence. Which was easy enough. She taught what was euphemistically called “home economics” she also had a moustache.

funny old life.

• Like 2

My current gear is Halvarssons laminate which uses their own membrane. IMO and this is based on my personal experience of goretex in various products in biking, marine wear and outdoors gear generally I find it stays waterproof for longer which is why I'll be replacing my Halvarssons stuff with something else; probably Rukka or maybe Klim or Staedler.  Yes it's expensive but for now I can afford it. I like stuff to last years, these brands do.

Edited by S-Westerly
  • Like 1

Ive been through several pairs of trousers ,even a all in one oversuit ,the seams always leak at the crutch ! I ride all year round ,sometimes sat in a puddle on the seat 

Only ones ive bought which have lasted have been orange fishmans over trousers ,not those old style thick things. These are called flexothane and are slightly stretchly ,and go over my textiles and havent leaked a drop ,we rode to France this year in heavy rain on the autoroute for 2 hours 

They dry in no time ,ive bought a oxford over jacket which was ok at the same time ,leaked a little around the zip 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, curlylegend said:

The smoking or the slapping ?

is smoking a fetish? I wouldn't know, and im not about to investigate as the sorts of sites that could possibly answer that kind of question are (im told) full of nasty malware that could ruin my day.

I didn't enjoy the slapping.. I've never been much of a masochist, though I did own the same BMW bike for 20 years so some people might point at that. Actually people did point at it and laugh back in the day. it was a GS - long before Adventure bikes were a thing and it caused much confusion amongst some bikers who couldn't understand what it was for. and did I know that ABS was dangerous on bikes? Dangerous to my wallet. yes. it was an £800 option in 1997. Can you believe I didn't know that until after I bought it!! silly me.

In other news the young lad I work with turned up on his silly little 125 last night and immediately started to complain about his bad back. I just looked at him in the sort of way one might slow down to look at a car crash on the other side of the motorway. He passed his full test last year and yet still.. there he is on that silly bike. folding himself in 3 to get on it and having to bend his arms in a totally unnatural way just to hold on. but its in Repsol colours so its cool. innit. sadly I didn't have enough time to say anything as he was called away to deal with one of the residents who needed help cutting a loaf. he's not allowed sharp knives (or pens). for reasons im not at liberty to divulge.

A nice photo to take my mind off it.

IMG_0114.jpg

• Like 2