cordura or textile 2 piece suit's ?

skyrider

55 minutes ago, skyrider said:

dont think i can afford rukka prices 

you don’t need to. Just search for Goretex laminate as an outer shell material and you won’t go wrong if staying dry is your top priority. Further down the price scale are other “copy” laminates which might be worth a look at. I would definitely go for a laminate over a separate membrane wherever possible.

Leathers and textiles are not always in the same sizes even from the same manufacturer let alone other brands.

how much depends on brand and style.

goretex carries a premium over well established brands own waterproofing layer that are similar in performance, then the same again on membranes. You need to weigh up cost to performance to durability.

Hi there ... Cordura is Textile ...

These guys do a 2 piece suit ... my one piece, made to measure, tested in the floods of the 20th of October in Chesterfield was ..... (drum roll)  £159 ...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/351694515074?var=620659346592

Based in Cornwall, made in Pakistan ... probably in the same factory as Rukka .... 

39 minutes ago, skyrider said:

i used to have a hein gericke 2 piece goretex  suit and it was warm as well as water proof i would have another but their shops have now closed down so that's the end of that 

I've still got a Hein Gericke two piece Shell Tex suit. Pants leak a bit but the jacket's 100% waterproof and warm too. My go-to jacket for wet winter weather.

Hein G stuff was really good stuff for the money many years ago before J&S bought and cost cut them to death😭.

Wife had got a Hein textile suit of a recommendation off advice from me, only after two spills the pants eventually holed at the knees on barrel lots of loose bitmin (fooking contractors and lancashire council mfs) and light scuffs on the jacket. They were still water proof, the jacket though scruffy is fairly water proof is still with us now as a back up. The alpine stars looks sleeker but now where near are durable and cost more.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Trooper74 said:

Hi there ... Cordura is Textile ...

These guys do a 2 piece suit ... my one piece, made to measure, tested in the floods of the 20th of October in Chesterfield was ..... (drum roll)  £159 ...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/351694515074?var=620659346592

Based in Cornwall, made in Pakistan ... probably in the same factory as Rukka .... 

i will have to have a look around over christmas, fleabay etc 

15 hours ago, Pie man said:

If you want cheap as chips, there's always ex military clothing to go over your riding gear 

image.thumb.png.4adf4097b41ae923e3feddb8eca5b97e.png

Seconded on this.

I swear by layers over dedicated summer, winter, rain gear. Spend your dough on bikes, petrol, bacon sarnies and wining and dining beautiful women. (Though the first three often rule out the fourth)

Bikes my only transport, even when I used to commute and I've had the dedicated goretex suit - they're just impractical swapping layers, they look crap, they often need replacing when the waterproofing is a few years old.

Been on leather jacket, bike trousers, goretex booties and varying gloves for years since.

Hot? Switch to summer gloves and slightly unzip leather jacket.

Cold? Put a jumper, thick socks, undergloves and winter gloves on

Raining? Add the goretex waterproofs my mate got me when he was in the RAF stores, they're designed to be put on over boots and take no room in the topbox.

Best thing about those is they get wet but dry out in half an hour. Gear never dries so fast.

When those start to leak? £30 from the surplus to renew my waterproofing.

Edited by megaross
  • Like 1

I echo the above. My waterproof kit is relatively cheap outer layers worn over moderately priced textiles. I ride in all weathers all year and it works for me. 

When it gets really grubby it's cheap to replace the outer layers. 

I know a lot of people swear by goretex but I've bought some really expensive kit in the past and it doesn't stay leakproof beyond a couple of years hard use. 

Though I've just been reminded of one bit of kit I have that is goretex which has proved to be totally waterproof, and that's my TCX boots. They've taken everything thrown at them and stayed bone dry. 

Edited by Mississippi Bullfrog

Thanks BF you saved me having to do it.

Tried a gore label product years ago, never a super fan of the gore myself .
and as my words are not trusted here i found it didnt work that well for me most of the time as it wasnt breathable enough most of the time and as the video point out. 
plus as a business plan its just diabolical to ott costs and control... 

I base my choices on my own experience. previous experience over many years. not on the opinion of a Canadian YT influencer.

as and when my jacket.. or more likely my trousers (I made a mistake with them) wear out and begins to leak... I will be replacing it with the same again. Goretex laminate.

My Jacket is donkeys years old now and thus far has been completely waterproof. My trousers are still waterproof but I know their life is somewhat limited. its been about 10 years since I bought them. They will likely fail at some point as (this was the mistake I made) they use a Goretex membrane rather than a laminate. But, at the time.. cash was a bit tight. hey ho, lesson learnt. 10 years though.. so im not about to complain. And they were bearable to wear in the excess heat of Italy earlier this year.. and the Eifel. where it was surprisingly warm too. in fact heat stroke was an issue. "Too Hot" - he said. "Too Hot".

I remember when Hein Gericke brought in their first goretex laminate jacket.. not far off £400. a lot of money at the time.. and I just couldn't justify it (at the time) But.. life has this nasty habit of going by rather quickly. and the amount I might spend is less of a concern these days.. so long as I get the maximum use out of it. or I like the fit. (or both)

Being an old fart I remember my trip to the first HG that opened in the UK. it was in York more than 30 years ago. an exciting ride out from Birmingham where I lived at the time but I was as tall then as I am now so it seemed worthwhile going up there to see if they had anything that might come close to fitting my inside leg. I bought Gericke. (not Hein Gericke) and they lasted a long time, in fact they live still as I gave them to a young lad I used to work with for his commute. And he wears them still.. though he still is stubbornly riding a 125. (I should slap him more often)

Anyway, I really couldn't care less what other people think about my choices.. as they are my choices that fulfill my own priorities. Which are to be warm and dry in winter... and comfortable in early spring and summer. Though I am probably in higher need of a decent summer jacket now if this heat is to become the new normal. But will also carry my normal gear too as summer storms can be quite "exciting" in the alps. I do generally take a change of bike gear with me - because I can.

Theres a reason I don't watch his videos. because after watching several, I realised he wasn't speaking to me, or rarely, because he's telling me something I already know and acting as though its some sort of amazing discovery. and I find his humour to be just a tad irritating.. in as much as I want to throw a shoe at him. one with a pointy heel. borrowed from her next door.

will my 10 year old trousers last another year. probably. will my jacket? definitely. are they both GTX? yes. were they expensive? yes. Did I get my moneys worth? yes. I think thats a given. innit.

• Like 4

I am more than old enough to remember walking gear before Gore-Tex became affordable and despite what FortNine says, Gore-Tex does make a difference, a big difference. Yes, it may not be perfect, but if you've never experienced the PU coated bright orange boil in bag cagoule, (you remember the one's with the single chest pocket), trust me Gore-Tex was a revelation. As for some of the stuff he says about sweat & perspiration, come guys & gals, we're sitting on our arses for most of the time not running a marathon! Plus most jackets have vents & flaps anyway.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Gerontious said:

I base my choices on my own experience. previous experience over many years. not on the opinion of a Canadian YT influencer.

as and when my jacket.. or more likely my trousers (I made a mistake with them) wear out and begins to leak... I will be replacing it with the same again. Goretex laminate.

My Jacket is donkeys years old now and thus far has been completely waterproof. My trousers are still waterproof but I know their life is somewhat limited. its been about 10 years since I bought them. They will likely fail at some point as (this was the mistake I made) they use a Goretex membrane rather than a laminate. But, at the time.. cash was a bit tight. hey ho, lesson learnt. 10 years though.. so im not about to complain. And they were bearable to wear in the excess heat of Italy earlier this year.. and the Eifel. where it was surprisingly warm too. in fact heat stroke was an issue. "Too Hot" - he said. "Too Hot".

I remember when Hein Gericke brought in their first goretex laminate jacket.. not far off £400. a lot of money at the time.. and I just couldn't justify it (at the time) But.. life has this nasty habit of going by rather quickly. and the amount I might spend is less of a concern these days.. so long as I get the maximum use out of it. or I like the fit. (or both)

Being an old fart I remember my trip to the first HG that opened in the UK. it was in York more than 30 years ago. an exciting ride out from Birmingham where I lived at the time but I was as tall then as I am now so it seemed worthwhile going up there to see if they had anything that might come close to fitting my inside leg. I bought Gericke. (not Hein Gericke) and they lasted a long time, in fact they live still as I gave them to a young lad I used to work with for his commute. And he wears them still.. though he still is stubbornly riding a 125. (I should slap him more often)

Anyway, I really couldn't care less what other people think about my choices.. as they are my choices that fulfill my own priorities. Which are to be warm and dry in winter... and comfortable in early spring and summer. Though I am probably in higher need of a decent summer jacket now if this heat is to become the new normal. But will also carry my normal gear too as summer storms can be quite "exciting" in the alps. I do generally take a change of bike gear with me - because I can.

Theres a reason I don't watch his videos. because after watching several, I realised he wasn't speaking to me, or rarely, because he's telling me something I already know and acting as though its some sort of amazing discovery. and I find his humour to be just a tad irritating.. in as much as I want to throw a shoe at him. one with a pointy heel. borrowed from her next door.

will my 10 year old trousers last another year. probably. will my jacket? definitely. are they both GTX? yes. were they expensive? yes. Did I get my moneys worth? yes. I think thats a given. innit.

Did you see where he compared the £550 dianese own brand water resistant jacket with the dianese £1000 goretex one? 

He used science! I'm glad of it, I know which one I'd choose. Plenty of people don't have your wealth of experience. 

I'm sure you like your goretex, he didn't say it was bad, or that goretex owners are in some way deluded, just that the cheaper alternative was better. 

Wow Gero who slapped your cheeks? 

Goretex laminated is still really really expensive and there are other branded ones which for some people isn't an option or hard to justify..as you said yourself when you were young remember???...compared to a fitted or drop liner layer which are still very good for the price and if the design of fitment is good theres less of a difference so for alot of people makes sense.

Other people have view and experiences even if they come to the different conclusion to yours Gero are still valid, 
so to actually to say theirs are any less bearing or opposition on a product you wholeheartedly support is wrong.
along with the all the comments and recommendations they add to the pot of knowledge of what help people find the right product for that person hopefully first time...

On the other note im not sure wtf some of that was about while Giving a quality product to someone less fortunate /more useful to which is still getting used today is os very commendable. But to add to your own overly beating mindset which only makes you look worse of single mindedness of shall i add your own words for an example "slapping him because he still rides a 125" Wtf has it to do with you? If hes happy and it works for him so should you be.

With the yt vid an opinion?? Shows how much attention you had.

Anyway depending on what the video is, its for the masses and less knowledgable in a polish production rather than just way of like chav in there bedroom or shouting over a traffic infested road saying "Yo yur gonna have to it buy it cos i fooking said, like its the best shite and all ya mates will be sooo envious and they'll wanna mug ya to get it so click the like subscribe or your a loser and buy it now from my link in the description peace out ya all" 🙄.

maybe its not for or aimed at you but for you to discredit the video is very ....disappointing.

its connected with the motobike community and shares information as subjective and rational as possible highlighting just why it is a good product for example but might not be the holy grail that its made out to be and oh my gosh heaven forbid might just have some flaws 😱.

Simple reason gore doesn't work well for some people for some of the time under certain conditions...all the information there in the video just says and proves that and goes to say what, who, when, why etc.

its not actively saying don't buy gore just because we dont have a piece of the pie in the business but to say what to expect if your unlucky for it to happen to you, dont be surprised if you get unlucky with it but more importantly its saying its not the only option available to you.

flaps and vents are just a weak point and have to be lined with said product to reduce the leak undoing its primary design.

when your hiking your not travelling upto and beyond 70mph? if you are goretex aint going to save you falling down the mountains.

wind blasts the pores closed and chill is more so the difference in temperature outside the jacket to the inside is more so gives condensation hence it tou can still feel damp at best.

so im with goat, geofferz and BF.

Click the like button and peace out ya all!

1 minute ago, RideWithStyles said:

Wow Gero who slapped your cheeks? 

Goretex laminated is still really really expensive and there are other branded ones which for some people isn't an option or hard to justify..as you said yourself when you were young remember???...compared to a fitted or drop liner layer which are still very good for the price and if the design of fitment is good theres less of a difference so for alot of people makes sense.

Other people have view and experiences even if they come to the different conclusion to yours Gero are still valid, 
so to actually to say theirs are any less bearing or opposition on a product you wholeheartedly support is wrong.
along with the all the comments and recommendations they add to the pot of knowledge of what help people find the right product for that person hopefully first time...

On the other note im not sure wtf some of that was about while Giving a quality product to someone less fortunate /more useful to which is still getting used today is os very commendable. But to add to your own overly beating mindset which only makes you look worse of single mindedness of shall i add your own words for an example "slapping him because he still rides a 125" Wtf has it to do with you? If hes happy and it works for him so should you be.

With the yt vid an opinion?? Shows how much attention you had.

Anyway depending on what the video is, its for the masses and less knowledgable in a polish production rather than just way of like chav in there bedroom or shouting over a traffic infested road saying "Yo yur gonna have to it buy it cos i fooking said, like its the best shite and all ya mates will be sooo envious and they'll wanna mug ya to get it so click the like subscribe or your a loser and buy it now from my link in the description peace out ya all" 🙄.

maybe its not for or aimed at you but for you to discredit the video is very ....disappointing.

its connected with the motobike community and shares information as subjective and rational as possible highlighting just why it is a good product for example but might not be the holy grail that its made out to be and oh my gosh heaven forbid might just have some flaws 😱.

Simple reason gore doesn't work well for some people for some of the time under certain conditions...all the information there in the video just says and proves that and goes to say what, who, when, why etc.

its not actively saying don't buy gore just because we dont have a piece of the pie in the business but to say what to expect if your unlucky for it to happen to you, dont be surprised if you get unlucky with it but more importantly its saying its not the only option available to you.

flaps and vents are just a weak point and have to be lined with said product to reduce the leak undoing its primary design.

when your hiking your not travelling upto and beyond 70mph? if you are goretex aint going to save you falling down the mountains.

wind blasts the pores closed and chill is more so the difference in temperature outside the jacket to the inside is more so gives condensation hence it tou can still feel damp at best.

so im with goat, geofferz and BF.

Click the like button and peace out ya all!

People hate being told things they do, or believe in are wrong, or overhyped. Like marinating food (doesn't 'permiate the flesh' at all). Or if you tell a mother that the sugar rush doesn't exist and they get offended like you insult their children. 'I've seen it myself' yeah that's called an anecdote love, double blind placebo controlled tests have proved the sugar rush to be non existent, sorry.