Kawasaki Versys 1000 SE GT

manxie49

Been test riding bikes since last April, looking for a bike to replace the Tracer.  I had a few boxes to tick, the main one being the ability to tour on two up.  It also had to be a bike I could live with day to day.  Everything from the commute to a ride out with my mates.  I hadn’t even considered a Versys until speaking to a visiting biker who was over for the MGP.  

Anyway, I found one at a local dealership and took it for an extended test ride, and virtually, right from the off, I loved it.

So basically, the bike is a tried and tested (been around for a while now), in line four-cylinder engine, which is basically a derivative of the Ninja engine with the torque curve flattened out somewhat to make is more suited for touring.  It certainly isn’t a light weight bike, but its low centre of gravity make it feel a lot lighter than its book weight would suggest.  The SE model comes with the electronic suspension, which I personally like, and makes life quicker and easier when switching from two up to solo continuously.  The bike is marketed as an Adventure bike, but IMHO it isn’t, and I would argue that it’s closer to sports tourer than adventure, I certainly wouldn’t want to take it off road, and I speak as someone who actually does a bit of off roading.

THE GOOD:

I found the bike very easy to ride, right from the off.  I’m 6’2”, able to easily flat foot when at a standstill, but have never felt cramped or uncomfortable, even with a pillion on board.  The engine is smooth and responsive, as you’d expect, it’s also very agile and capable, especially when you get the revs above 6k.  The electronic suspension works well, but I have tinkered with something called rider mode, basically making the bike mine, and setting everything up as I want it.  It’s well worth the time and effort doing this, it can totally transform the riding experience.  For touring the bike comes with full luggage with enough room for two people to have a comfortable week away, the O/E luggage is basically made for Kawasaki by GIVI.  Inner bags for the panniers are useless and I personally don’t use them.  I have found the panniers to be water tight though, with no leaks and wet clothes to date.  The bike is also equipped with a manually adjustable screen, which, at 6’2” I find to be adequate when touring.  It seems to be very good at keeping both the wind and rain off, with no noticeable helmet roar or buffeting, unlike my old Tracer.  Fuel consumption is pretty good, I’ve never pushed it to the point of riding on fumes, but I’m getting 210 to 220 miles between fill ups, and that’s with some spirited riding thrown into the mix as well.  Finally, the bike is fitted with an up and down gear quick shifter.  I’ve always been a fan of these devices and use them a lot, especially when two up.  The one on this bike, whilst a little clunky, does the job and I’ve had no issues with it.

THE BAD:

There isn’t much bad I can say about this bike, just a couple of little niggles really.  

·      The OEM screen, whilst adequate, and actually doing a pretty good job, appears to be made of something akin to cream cheese.  Even with careful cleaning I’ve been unable to stop it becoming covered in those annoying hairline scratches, I also wish Kawasaki had made one with a slight tint.  

·      My next niggle is the at Nav mount, bolted onto the steering yoke.  It’s personal choice but I’ve never liked my sat nav mounted in this position, which actually takes your eyes away from the road. 

·      The rear brake also took a bit a getting used to, as most of us do, I use the rear brake during slow riding and especially when manoeuvring, I find I actually have to apply a lot of pressure to the rear brake pedal on this bike before it starts to engage, a minor niggle that I’m now starting to get used to.  

·      Snatchy throttle, which is something I call modern bike syndrome due to leaning them right down to achieve virtue signalling emissions laws.  Like other bikes I’ve owned, this is no different, and the throttle can be a little snatchy at times.  This is something I may address at a later date with a remap. 

·      Chain adjustment.  They fit a centre stand to the bike, then, according to the owner manual, chain slack and adjustment should be carried out with the bike on its side stand!  I mean really, who thought that one up.  There are ways around this issue though.  Unusually I’m unable to fit cotton reels to this bike, but have adapted my paddock stand with rubber cups, this allows me to lift the bike on the swing arm and check and adjust the chain with the rear wheel elevated off the ground.  

·      Finally, not a deal breaker by any means, but compared to other bikes I’ve owned, there seems to be a disproportionate amount of gear lever travel between first and second gear, and, when time allows, I intend to have a look and see if there’s any adjustment in this area.

THE UGLY:

Only one thing, for me anyway, that fits into this category, and that has to be the seat.  I’ve ridden and owned lots of different bikes over the years, and this has to be one of the most uncomfortable seats I have ever had to sit on.  My wife seems to be very happy with the rear portion of the seat, but from a rider perspective, I find it painful ….. Literally!  I start getting a numb backside after about forty miles, if I push things much further than that I’m actually in pain.  So, I intend, after Christmas, to get the seat redone with some comfort inserts, ready for the longer journeys.

MODS:

Not a lot really, it doesn’t need much:

·      Changed the OEM oil filler plug, which is the thumb screw type to one where a star key is required to undo it.  Why?  Quite simply, some years ago I had someone remove my filler plug on a car park in Leicester and piss in my oil.  Not going to make it that easy for some scum bag to do the same again.

·      End can.  I picked up a nearly new Akra end can at a really good price.  Not interested in trying to make it go faster or even sound better, but the Akra has given me over a 3kg weight saving, plus it looks better.

·      I intend to remount the Satnav on a bracket, behind the screen at eye level.

·      I also intend to get the seat refurbished after Christmas.  Other than that, I can’t think of anything else I want to do to the bike.

CONCLUSION:

Great bike with very few negatives I can find.  Most of the negatives highlighted are more minor niggles that can be easily sorted out, and let’s face it, not many people buy bikes and leave them totally, 100% stock anyway, we all find things we need to do to our rides.  Having now used the bike in all weathers with the exception of snow, I can categorically say I’m happy with everything from speed and power delivery, through to handling and comfort, with the exception of the seat.  It’s a great all-rounder, and one that I find ticks most of the boxes.  I have no complaints.  I think the bike would be suited, not just to experienced riders but also riders with a little less road time, it’s a very forgiving ride.  Great for touring and commuting alike, but also good for the weekend blast with your mates. It is a fairly tall bike if you’re vertically challenged, but Kawasaki do a low seat option, and as for the weight, well I don’t really notice it, it very well proportioned and well balanced.

IMG_1640.jpeg

• Like 4

@manxie49

I’ve just sold my 2017 V1K that I had from new. I’ve given up biking. 
I went from a 2015 MT 09 Tracer. 
The Versys was the best bike I’ve owned and if I hadn’t given up I had no plans to change it.  

I bought a used OEM Kawasaki Comfort seat that was in mint condition and I was able to stay in the seat longer, but I still has issues if I was out all day. 

I bought this earlier in the year and it transformed the seat. It’s very comfy to sit on and even though the Rukka pants I had have the anti slip I found on this seat I did slide. 

Anyway if you want to pay for postage I will send you it as I have no more use and it wasn’t much. 
PM me. 

IMG_9943.thumb.png.69a52ae1f75770801ba117c3d1d5c29b.png

Edited by fullscreenaging
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, manxie49 said:

Been test riding bikes since last April, looking for a bike to replace the Tracer. , right from the off, I loved it.

THE BAD:

The OEM screen, whilst adequate, and actually doing a pretty good job, appears to be made of something akin to cream cheese.  Even with careful cleaning I’ve been unable to stop it becoming covered in those annoying hairline scratches, I also wish Kawasaki had made one with a slight tint.  

·      The rear brake also took a bit a getting used to, as most of us do, I use the rear brake during slow riding and especially when manoeuvring, I find I actually have to apply a lot of pressure to the rear brake pedal on this bike before it starts to engage, a minor niggle that I’m now starting to get used to.  

·      Snatchy throttle, which is something I call modern bike syndrome due to leaning them right down to achieve virtue signalling emissions laws.  Like other bikes I’ve owned, this is no different, and the throttle can be a little snatchy at times.  This is something I may address at a later date with a remap. 

·      Chain adjustment.  They fit a centre stand to the bike, then, according to the owner manual, chain slack and adjustment should be carried out with the bike on its side stand!  I mean really, who thought that one up.  There are ways around this issue though.  

·      Finally, not a deal breaker by any means, but compared to other bikes I’ve owned, there seems to be a disproportionate amount of gear lever travel between first and second gear, and, when time allows, I intend to have a look and see if there’s any adjustment in this area.

MODS:

Not a lot really, it doesn’t need much:

·      Changed the OEM oil filler plug, which is the thumb screw type to one where a star key is required to undo it.  Why?  Quite simply, some years ago I had someone remove my filler plug on a car park in Leicester and piss in my oil.  Not going to make it that easy for some scum bag to do the same again.

·      End can.  I picked up a nearly new Akra end can at a really good price.  Not interested in trying to make it go faster or even sound better, but the Akra has given me over a 3kg weight saving, plus it looks better.

IMG_1640.jpeg

Nicely put. Glad you tried lots of other manufactures and found a bike thats a really good match.

They are all very good base line and its really just down to the persons flavour and requirements, the tracer is a very well balanced solid choice of bike thats hard to top, still has some niggles but no difference to the next one.

with tthose tiny scratches and cracks use a plastic restorer or ultrafine compound paste, a good local autofactor shop will have it in or halfords might if your desperate then finish off with a plastics safe wax combing a non lint cloth.

yes the snatchy throttle, its the closed loop circuit in the ecu program for emissions mostly noticed in the really low to mid rev range, best way is to try and avoid going that low in the rev 🫣🤭 or less fully shutting off the throttle✊🏽 😁 to avoid green pease protocol.

well the chain adjustment while on its side stand is that is actually the correct way and much easier to get it right without having to hitch it back up again to adjust it.

This is due to it being level (swing arm included) while the suspension is partly (static) loaded at roughly the same amount when in use so the chain will be still be good when the bike is fully loaded or if in the rarer time it gets abit of air time...

if it was set on a centre stand the rear is fully extended (if the linkage is fresh or non corrosive) when it will be barely if at all not loaded so how do you know when it is static loaded (plus suspension setting) its correct or worse fully loaded? At least with the side stand its actually closer is nominal range.
Sorry thats my rant.

the bit longer travel off the first is actually a good idea for many reasons and I believe its a mechanical design in the gearbox: mechanical sympathy especially if first is short for off roads or in high altitudes while the gears are spinning stupid fast to mesh with a ratio that might be great on a particular use of road (design cue might be 70road and 30off) but mechanically not perfect without having to put in more splice notches into the gears that might harm service life...also less likely to accidentally knock it when OR. Something older kawa and Suzukis could suffer with.

3kg weight savings and a pristine stock exhaust come trade in.. can't complain just with that.

never heard of that particular human additives 🤔 put in a motorcycle, mind you ive hardly had a reason to visit Leicester.

so ive heard people to do that in a dirty diesel systems before, well someone might have ran out of Ad-blue so thwy thought of an alternative but being colour blind 🤡...😄.

• Like 1

I'm far from being an experienced rider, but I love my Versys 650.

The snatchy throttle I had problems with as well, but I fitted a booster plug and the change was instant. Well worth a try imho. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks.

Yes correct, most of the time all they are is bypassing a sensor and saying its air temp and/or the pressure is different tricking the ecu to add more fuel.

Not perfect and depending on the unit and bike combination but simpler and less warranty voiding depending on set up.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, fullscreenaging said:

@manxie49

I’ve just sold my 2017 V1K that I had from new. I’ve given up biking. 
I went from a 2015 MT 09 Tracer. 
The Versys was the best bike I’ve owned and if I hadn’t given up I had no plans to change it.  

I bought a used OEM Kawasaki Comfort seat that was in mint condition and I was able to stay in the seat longer, but I still has issues if I was out all day. 

I bought this earlier in the year and it transformed the seat. It’s very comfy to sit on and even though the Rukka pants I had have the anti slip I found on this seat I did slide. 

Anyway if you want to pay for postage I will send you it as I have no more use and it wasn’t much. 
PM me. 

IMG_9943.thumb.png.69a52ae1f75770801ba117c3d1d5c29b.png

Just been looking at these and might give one a go, certainly couldn't hurt, I've got the wife to put one on my Christmas present list for this year  😁Thus far, I'm inclined to agree with you, although I haven't covered massive miles yet, I do think that this bike rates among one of the best I've owned.  Other than the very minor niggles, I really can't fault it.

Edited by manxie49
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Shepherd said:

I'm far from being an experienced rider, but I love my Versys 650.

The snatchy throttle I had problems with as well, but I fitted a booster plug and the change was instant. Well worth a try imho. 

Booster plug seems to be a good first try and is probably the way forward.  I have had bikes remapped in the past, but the results have been hit and miss, and with my old Fireblade actually made things worse. 👍