Dealing with Rust

husoi

I think we all agree that rust is one of the most common causes of bike "deaths"

At some point we all had to deal with rust in our machines and for sure there are many processes people have for it.

I found this clip which I think is quite interesting. I don't know how well it will work on a part that is heavily exposed to the elements but could be a way to deal with it.

Personally, I would still prefer the more expensive nickel plating as it would last longer.

The purpose of this thread is that we can share experiences and as many different ways as possible.

Thank you for watching :thumb: 

Rust in steel, rust converter.  
Fertan:
https://www.fertan.co.uk/

Other brands available but I have used this stuff your years and it works.  Over coated for additional protection where required.

Alloys:
Avoid stainless steel, galvanic corrosion is a killer.

Edited by onesea
Avoid salt water or wash it off after.
  • Like 2

+1 for the Fertan products.  I used one of their products this year for the first time on some rusted steel railings.  It was called Fedogel?  Absolutely brilliant, removed the rust completely, very impressed with it, not cheap though.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, onesea said:

Rust in steel, rust converter.  
Fertan:
https://www.fertan.co.uk/

Other brands available but I have used this stuff your years and it works.  Over coated for additional protection where required.

Alloys:
Avoid stainless steel, galvanic corrosion is a killer.

With you on Fertan. Not so much on Stainless as it depends on the grade. Some are definitely better than others and you can avoid galvanic corrosion if its fitted right.

Classic bikes for sure, and I think with that 2 things

1. When you buy it get any rust sorted and powder coat/ paint/ plate it

2. If you are going to use classics in winter make peace with having to deal with rust repairs 

Though I can't help but think modern bikes not too much of an issue. I'm trying to think what would kill my tiger other than crashing it - if the engine took a shit I'd just rebuild/ replace it.

Only bad rust I can think of that got rusty is the exhaust studs were unrecognisable when I had to remove them. I'm talking they're 13mm nuts and I was hammering an 8/9mm socket over the rusted nub that was left and used a ridiculous amount of torch fuel and plusgas to remove.

The best thing about cars is you can basically just pigeon shit some scrap over the hole, rattle can it black and you're good for the MOT. Who gives a f**k, sheds are the best.

• Haha 1