Cher Davis

Hi guys, just want to say hi as a newbie in London UK. Looking forward to lots of bike chat. :-)For starters, I wonder if someone can please tell me what I need to do to reduce the emissions on my Honda Shadow 500 Motorbike (1985) so that they meet the acceptable/required current legal levels? I haven't been riding since the law changed. :-(Any information on this topic will be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much.

Im not sure it's even possible to re-engineer a bike so it will pass ULEZ. I assume you have thoroughly checked the bike on the sites to make sure it's not already compliant. some older bikes that predate euro 3, are. I know TFL are offering £1000 for scrappage for bikes. I also think that your bike will be exempt from next year. once it hits 40yrs old. I know waiting for a year is tough. but unless you want to get rid that might be your only option and pay the ULEZ fee in-between times.

Im not sure if it would be worth your while having it tested. £175 (apparently) is a hefty price to pay especially if it fails.

Edited by Gerontious
  • Like 1

Hi thank you so much for your quick response. :-)I didn't even know about this law change. I received a letter from the Mayor of London informing me that -- according to the DVLA -- they said, my bike was not compliant. What sites exactly should I check to make sure my bike is not already compliant?

Also, could you please tell me how/where to find out about the offer of £1000 for scrappage for bikes, just in case. Makes me sad to think of that option. Can you explain what you mean by 'exempt' once a bike hits 40 yrs old please. Exempt from what exactly? (Sorry for my ignorance.) I wouldn't mind waiting a year. Thank you soooo much again for your helpful advice.😊

13 minutes ago, Cher Davis said:

Hi thank you so much for your quick response. :-)I didn't even know about this law change. I received a letter from the Mayor of London informing me that -- according to the DVLA -- they said, my bike was not compliant. What sites exactly should I check to make sure my bike is not already compliant?

Also, could you please tell me how/where to find out about the offer of £1000 for scrappage for bikes, just in case. Makes me sad to think of that option. Can you explain what you mean by 'exempt' once a bike hits 40 yrs old please. Exempt from what exactly? (Sorry for my ignorance.) I wouldn't mind waiting a year. Thank you soooo much again for your helpful advice.😊

I found this all with just using google. once a bike is 40 years old it's exempt from ULEZ fees. google told me that, or rather  Autotrader did. In fact Autotrader answers most of your questions.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/bikes/content/ulez-expansion-what-london-motorcyclists-need-to-know-and-what-are-the-best-bikes-to-buy?refresh=true

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gerontious said:

I found this all with just using google. once a bike is 40 years old it's exempt from ULEZ fees. google told me that, or rather  Autotrader did. In fact Autotrader answers most of your questions.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/bikes/content/ulez-expansion-what-london-motorcyclists-need-to-know-and-what-are-the-best-bikes-to-buy?refresh=true

Thank you so much for that autotrader link. Fantastic! I'm studying it now in detail.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Blackholesun said:

I took my old fazer to Deptford and it passed no probs….I’ve heard that all bikes pass tbh

Now that is good to know…