unusual question/info wanted.

RideWithStyles

This is an odd question can't find more or exact details/info on the internet...

i know when a car or bike tyre pressure is suddenly released (by cutting the valve off) is very loud as its a very sharp high pitched noise-( im guessing at least if not over 90db? but only for the briefest moments as most of the air pressure is lost in a second) a tyre will only hold about a couple ltr of air at the most and at 2-3bar.

i know db as a value difference can be miss interpreted, like a few db difference in number terms is sod all but actually means its actually doubled the actual perception each number it rises in a round about way.

so for a hypothetical scenario if a large 5000+ litre industrial tank full of compressed air running at between 8- 14bar of pressure was to suddenly release it through a straight non baffled "safety" valve that was in a corner of a brick walled room large brick room while someone was about 6-18 foot of it for 20-30 seconds ...what would the DB expected to be?

lol .

it wasn't just trousers it was ear/brain brown moment!

i wish but i think i'm gonna have to be doing that from now on...😣.

i know from a previous past time knowledge-dive tanks and small bottles of 3000-5500psi wouldn't be a good day and long time hospitalisation would be a best outcome afterwards if it went bang while carrying or sliding around. 

yes its unusual question as its not a domestic problem.

That's the main reason for wearing hear defenders in industrial spaces where loud noise may occur.

Some people would consider that as not cool but it can save you from a long stay in hospital and on sick leave not counting to permanent hearing loss that can very well happen.

I'm not a H&S maniac, however, in some instances they are actually correct.

Not my dept, nor my work area, its placement (un sheltered) along with three compressors is on a main walk through path...

but thats where the instants of a work place made many changes and was it over looked. 

I work solely in my main work area, but my other work stations/ equipment/supplies are always in other areas....i am staff so i have to work even if production are not running, few office staff or engineers are in...

so i have to look out for myself.

i agree and have seen it and i'm very good at wearing plugs at work where required or needed including of other leisure activities. including the bikes, two concerts we went to last year...think i only saw a few people like me did wear them.

Edited by RideWithStyles

API 521 would say a peak of about 81 dB (so equivalent to a loud radio) at the worst case distance. (API 521 calculates at 30m and I have then adjusted for 2m).

I am a bit rusty on the calculations as it has been a while since I have done them but relatively confident I am right. 

It will be sudden and definitely make you jump but should not cause any lasting damage to your hearing.

Edited by Shasel
Additional info on the calc.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Simon Davey said:

That's a pretty cool question.

I don't like hanging about when I drain the last air in my compressor tank, and that usually only has about 50 PSI left.

This one is more difficult. at 1m you would be getting about 85 dB (at which point ear defenders would be mandatory) but I am guessing you are a closer than 1m and unfortunately the calculations kind of stop working at that point but at 0.5m you are likely in the high 90s.

• Like 1

Strewth, I have to get on the floor to unscrew the valve at the bottom of the tank. 

It's a right crackle and hiss. 

I'll sling on ear defenders in future, I've always got a pair handy.