Motorcycle clicking, clank sound

Rusty07

Hi 👋 I have a Honda cb125f 2017. When cold there is no noise but as soon as it warms up I hear a clicking, clanking sound.

I changed the clutch thinking it might be the clutch basket and a worn clutch/ basket but it's not that ( rides better with the new clutch 😅 ) . There is oil in the bike never in my ownership ran empty! 

I  am the 3rd owner.

Sounds  like it is coming from the cylinder head area. Definitely not clutch area as when I put my ear there you can Definitely tell its coming from elsewhere. 

If someone could please help me figure it out I would appreciate it Thank you.

I can upload a video to youtube of the noise if needs be.

I've no idea, but I'm following with interest.

However, is the sound the same at increased engine speeds, or does it change?

Is it constant, or intermittent?

Can you "feel" the sound if you put your hand on any (not burning hot) part of the engine?

• Like 1

same as Simon said..a bit more info would help.

if it was the clutch it would sound at the clutch plate side and clutch action could be  affected.

how many miles has the bike done? what service has it done? my first thought would be the timing chain (stretch)/ tensioner worn or loose to check. 

After several replays of the video, I still have no idea.

I can hear the tappets quite nicely though.

I wish I knew the engine build, but it does sound like something like a cam chain is slacking/slapping a little.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Simon Davey said:

After several replays of the video, I still have no idea.

I can hear the tappets quite nicely though.

I wish I knew the engine build, but it does sound like something like a cam chain is slacking/slapping a little.

Thank you for listening and trying to help.

You ideas and help is appreciated.

The noise is definitely internal. Here is a video of the noise from a cold start up until it get warm( which is last 5 seconds of the video)

https://youtu.be/IBt2umrYpWQ?si=B81NL4U6QEGMsTb5

If I was a betting man, I'd be checking out the cam chain tensioner or the valve clearances.

Valve clearances are easy peasy to adjust, this might help:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, rob m said:

If I was a betting man, I'd be checking out the cam chain tensioner or the valve clearances.

Valve clearances are easy peasy to adjust, this might help:

Thank you I have ordered a Haynes manual and a feeler gauge. I'll keep you guys updated with the progress and tell you my finds once fixed so this post can help others.

I'll check clearance first then. Have a look at the cam chain tensioner 2nd.

Thank you for your help🙂

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Hi everyone thank you all for your help. I adjusted the  tappets back to spec.(they was a little bit out). After adjustI started up the bike let it warm up. I still heard the noise, so I decided to have a look at the cam tensioner. The cam tensioner seems to be fine. The chain seems slack and  the teeth on the sprocket look worn and you can see a tiny bit of day light thru it. I tightened the tensioner a 1/4 turn and it has tighted up a bit of the slack but I  think it will need a new cam chain and cam sprocket.

Before 

After sound

So it has stopped the noise but. It's definitely worn. I'm guessing maybe the last ownership ran the oil low and starved the engine of oil and stretched the chain 🤷‍♂️.

Anyways that is what the noise was and I know how to fix it now. Thank you all for your help. It has been much appreciated.

20240313_134922.jpg

Edited by Rusty07
Spelling errors
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Simon Davey said:

Excellent stuff, you must be relived it's not going to implode on itself.

Yes I'm happy now 🥳 not knowing the cause of a a sound which you know isnt normal (especially inside the engine). Can cause anxiety when riding far ahaha 🤣😅

• Like 1