Chopping in my CB500F for...

After just 7 weeks of using my wonderful CB500F 2022 model i have chopped it in for.... hold on 

Why?

Well first can I just say that the CB is a really good bike. Fun, Nibble and light and its the last bit that is my issue.

The lightness of the bike becomes apparent when tackling windy motorways, especially passing lorries.

I have a bad chest so need protection from the wind bashing my chest, so added a large touring windscreen which helped quiet a bit.

But the lack of weight to help plant it on motorways is still an issue.

I also carry a camera and bits and bobs, that I need to access fast so added the excellent Oxford M4r tank bag.

The other day I attached my Kappa top box and looked at my bike with its bigger screen, tank bag and large top box and realized I had turned my nimble street machine into its Adventure cousin the CB500X.

After reading some reviews and watching long term owner reviews on the utube, and talking to the guys at my Honda dealers ANDDDD getting a quote for insurance, which for some reason is £200 quid cheaper than my CB500F insurance, I have bought and paid for a brand new Honda NC750X.

I note that the standard screen has a 50 /50 result for those who like and those who have bought the larger one, but will leave that until I hit the motorways and see for myself.

My dealer took the liberty of adding the center stand as he knows I would of added it anyway so thats the garage and parking sorted out.

Still in my early honeymoon days of motor biking so fingers crossed the next time I upgrade will be a week or so before the NC needs its first MOT.

I wish you well and safe riding

• Like 4

Ive yet to meet an owner who doesnt like the bike, it used to get some bad 'press' usually from people who wouldn't buy it anyway. I came within a whisker of getting one back in 2018, I sat on one but due to my unlikely height and inside leg, it wasn't really the right choice for me. Also.. though my bike is a bit different, I didn't bother going down the 'perfect screen' rabbit hole. I settled the matter by going short. and added a sports screen, which is much shorter than the standard. no turbulence whatsoever. Did you get the Standard or the DCT?

Edited by Gerontious
  • Like 1

heard good things to away from mag reviews, my boss has one and uses it for sunday best.

certainly not for everyone but if you out of the typical crowd then it fits more of those.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gerontious said:

Ive yet to meet an owner who doesnt like the bike, it used to get some bad 'press' usually from people who wouldn't buy it anyway. I came within a whisker of getting one back in 2018, I sat on one but due to my unlikely height and inside leg, it wasn't really the right choice for me. Also.. though my bike is a bit different, I didn't bother going down the 'perfect screen' rabbit hole. I settled the matter by going short. and added a sports screen, which is much shorter than the standard. no turbulence whatsoever. Did you get the Standard or the DCT?

I opted for the standard manual gearbox. For now DCT is for later down the line. 

One of my mates has one and loves it. The only issue he had was power loss which the dealer couldn't find the cause for. He was fine round town but as soon as we got onto open road he'd disappear behind us. 

It turns out the glue holding the heated grip on the throttle had come undone so he was twisting the grip but it wasn't opening the throttle.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

One of my mates has one and loves it. The only issue he had was power loss which the dealer couldn't find the cause for. He was fine round town but as soon as we got onto open road he'd disappear behind us. 

It turns out the glue holding the heated grip on the throttle had come undone so he was twisting the grip but it wasn't opening the throttle.

I have not gone for the heated grips option so fingers crossed I will have 100% power when needed :-) 

• Like 1