Hi all, I've had kit's for helmet which I didn't like. I'm looking for a decent pair of ear buds that actually stay in your ear. I've seen ones for bikers that have built in microphone but how does that work with helmet on lol 😆

So I'm looking for a decent pair that stay in ear with good sound quality which dont cost a fortune. Thanks 👍 

Edited by Stevie68
  • Like 1

My experience of moulded ear buds with built in speakers and noise protection is okay if you have Bluetooth ones although they are damned expensive.  Otherwise not good as the wires break easily. Off the shelf ear buds aren't designed to be worn under a helmet so  don't work very well. A mate tried modifying his helmet liner to fit them in. Not successful.

• Like 3

I tried earbuds under a helmet without much success. The sound was ok, they just weren't comfy and the didn't block wind noise as well as earplugs. The noise cancelling system isn't designed to cope with motorcycling so it's pretty useless in that respect. The microphone won't work.

For one helmet I got a Cardo kit which works well with earplugs. But that's not the route you want to go down. So here's an off the wall thought.....

I have tinnitus so sleep is a problem. I've ordered a snoozeband which is head band with slim padded speakers. You can buy cheaper versions on Amazon for about £15 but they tend to be bulkier. The snoozeband original version is very thin so would probably fit under a helmet. The sound quality won't be as good as earbuds but you could wear it over earplugs. No microphone omn the slim version. There is a version with a mic but it's bulky.

• Like 1

same as MBF.

tried many wired,wireless, flush and moulded but they they just keep failing out mostly just trying to put on the helemt 🤬 or painful. so its speakers and mic set up for me , ill nominate cardo.

Edited by RideWithStyles
  • Like 1

I'm having a think about that this week. I've just got some Shure SE215 earphones to try. They come with foam and silicone bud tips. They claim a decent "up to" 37db snr attenuation, guessing with the foam tips, where the classic yellow and pink Howard Leights do 35db . The wires are replaceable - they clip to the earbud - and you can get basically Bluetooth wires for them. They are used by musicians as in ear monitors. 

Initial trial is that they don't seem to isolate as well as plain classic foam earplugs, despite the claim, but better than the more standard Sony earphones I've got. 

For the helmet fit they seem better than other earphones I've got too. They poke out of the ear canal at an angle where the standard ones are straight. They come out at an angle and seem to hold flat to the ear opening. Anyway they are untested in anger as I only kept the helmet on for a few minutes. The wires go up and over the ear which made is fairly faff free getting the helmet on without a dislodgement.

I'll have to actually go out on the bike for a few hours to see for sure (Shure?). And a proper test would be a day's riding, at which point the standard Sony ones are just painful, but I find even foam plugs give me grief at that point, albeit not on the same level. Brief pain is better than more ringing though.

They are expensive but you can get them second hand (school girl voice: errrrrrr) or even new but opened packet (I'm very trusting) on eBay for half price.

So err yeah, going to try these out when I get a chance. Or I could wear my helmet all day during work just for research purposes, but how would I drink the tea?

• Like 2

Take the db reducing quote with a truck load of salt with those type of products, now without a true accurate measurement of their claim it will only dampen out a very narrow and specific region of frequency while poorer everywhere else.

short of it is musical buds are totally different to motor/industrial which for proper hearing protection on a bike you should be looking at.

wires, plastics, silicone/rubber still transmit the frequency and vibration to you as there is FAR less absorption. Foamy is pretty king for damping. 

• Like 1

I'm not looking for anything fancy or too expensive, just a decent pair with decent sound quality & they stay in your ears. Ones I have just fall out so when I take off my helmet they usually end up on the ground. 

2 hours ago, RideWithStyles said:

Take the db reducing quote with a truck load of salt with those type of products, now without a true accurate measurement of their claim it will only dampen out a very narrow and specific region of frequency while poorer everywhere else.

short of it is musical buds are totally different to motor/industrial which for proper hearing protection on a bike you should be looking at.

wires, plastics, silicone/rubber still transmit the frequency and vibration to you as there is FAR less absorption. Foamy is pretty king for damping. 

Exactly that. Love me some foamy bits in my ears usually. 

These earphones though I mentioned at least don't fall out when you put your hat on without really thinking about it. But, with other types it usually can be done you just need the knack, splay the straps out as wide as you can for the best chance. Stop and adjust. Faff about. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Stevie68 said:

I'm not looking for anything fancy or too expensive, just a decent pair with decent sound quality & they stay in your ears. Ones I have just fall out so when I take off my helmet they usually end up on the ground. 

but realistically you need something to realistically keeo you from getting titinius  cos holy moly it is really shite that you have to live with that only gets worse!! 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, RideWithStyles said:

but realistically you need something to realistically keeo you from getting titinius  cos holy moly it is really shite that you have to live with that only gets worse!! 

I already have titinus from military service, my initial post was just asking for recommendations for a decent set of earbuds that stay in your ear but no one really has helped me I'm none the wiser 🤣

sorry to READ that 🫡 my respect (could of been a possibility in my life and wife) mine was civilian industrial impacted.

depending on how bad it it you definitely don't want it to be worse. to be very honest best foamy (the pink and yellow ones) and speaker and mic is the best route.... 

Edited by RideWithStyles

45 minutes ago, RideWithStyles said:

sorry to READ that 🫡 my respect (could of been a possibility in my life and wife) mine was civilian industrial impacted.

depending on how bad it it you definitely don't want it to be worse. to be very honest best foamy (the pink and yellow ones) and speaker and mic is the best route.... 

They're for listening to music & sat-nav inside helmet, what are u on about? 

7 hours ago, Stevie68 said:

They're for listening to music & sat-nav inside helmet, what are u on about? 

So I think RWS is under the impression that you have a comm's system like Cardo or Sena. 

Then the microphone and speakers fit in the helmet and you can wear foam ear defenders/plugs, but still hear the music very well. 

As for your original post asking which ear buds to wear under your helmet, you'll have little luck without spending a fortune, in which case, you might as well buy a nice Cardo system. 

• Like 2

I spunked the money (£43) for the Shure headphones because I've also got a screaming baby to reckon with, which is much worse than wind noise 😎

• Haha 2

On 25/04/2024 at 18:04, Stevie68 said:

I tried using ear plugs, wired and also bluetooth but could never get comfortable with them. And  I also found they could drop out when taking my helmet off.  My best solution so far, is a bluetooth headset which has a pair of speakers and an extension that doubles up as an on/off switch and a microphone.  The microphone bit I never use but I do like having an on/off switch that I can use with gloved fingers. My music source is an ancient Apple iPod Touch with bluetooth .This sits in a secure zipped pocket.  I can't remember the name of the headset, but I got it from Amazon for about £25.00 so you'll find it'll still be on sale. Or loads like it !

My only criticism is that my old iPod cant pump out enough volume to let me hear it at higher speeds, over 100kph that is.

I would recommend giving that a try, won't cost you much and if you're really dissatisfied Amazon will give you your money back.

• Like 2

Took the plunge & just treated myself to a Cardo packtalk neo mesh. Costly but I think it will be worth going by what u guys are telling me. Thank u all for your help, ride safe 🙏 

• Like 4

I have an integrated sena head set on one helmet, but decided to make my own for the other one for when no group chat is required and I want to listen to music I.e. on the commute. 

my phone mounts on a quadlock so needed to be ‘wireless’.

consists of:

a bluetooth receiver from Amazon

some old headphones I had lying around and

the spare pin lock ear plugs (glued them on as they came off and I got the plugs stuck in my ears with v1 :) )

They’re nice and snug as the ‘buds’ are designed for reducing wind noise, don’t foul the helmet when putting on or removing, great sound quality, and as most of the bits were lying around cost me less than a tenner.

20230609_120304_Original.jpeg

Edited by MDUBZ
  • Like 3