Interesting Motorbike insurance quotes

Posted (edited)

Hi Guys

As im currently in the market for a motorbikle iv been getting as lot of Insurance quotes which make for interesting reading and i was wondering if those more knowledgable than myself on the subject of what factors make up an insurance quote may be able to expain some of thes quotes i have had recently.

im 60 years of age and have had motorbikes pretty much continuously since i was 16 years old, and have held a full bike and car licence since i was 17, up until 5 years ago i had full protected no claims bonus for 10 plus years, then due to finacial reasons i took a break from vehice ownership for the last 5 years.

Im trying to get my head around why a CB125 is considerbly more expensive to insure than a VX800 and why a sinnis single cylinder 20bhp 250 is more expensive to insure that a Honda Hornet or a Suzuki Bandit which are far more powerful and fast bikes. and why would a GS500 cost more to insure than a Honda Hornet ?

Does anyone know if you dont make a claim how many years is it before you insurance starts to drop considerably ?

Eventually i want to get more modern bike in the 1000cc 140bhp or more area but curently i can afford but refuse to pay what the insurance companies are asking as most will cost me between 4 to £600 to insure at least but i really need to get the insurance cost to reduce considerably...I dont think i have ever previously paid more than £200 a year for motorbike insurance regardless of the age, CC or BHP of the Bike.

my own concusion (wether right or wrong) is regardless of BHP the age of the bike relates to how much you are going to pay for insurance, as the 125 and 250 bikes are the most modern so i can only assume that i can insure an 80 Plus BHP bike much cheaper than an 11bhp or 20bhp bike because of how new or old they however that does not seem logical to me at all

CB125.png

Sinnis 250cc single.png

GS500.png

Honda Hornet.png

650 bandit.png

VX800.png

Edited by Comus1964

Insurance has largely shot up in price over the last few years. When I changed my bike in December from a Multistrada to a Guzzi V100S  my premium went up to just under £500. Had been £300 for the Multistrada. Smaller bikes are moreoften stolen I think.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I think a considerable part of the cost of insuring motorcycles is theft cover.

I have never had a car stolen but had 3 motorcycles stolen.

The sort round here who would steal a bike want it for riding around on for fun, they want a small bike like a 125, they simply wouldn't know what to do with a big bike.

Having said that, my Hornet is garaged, chained to a ground anchor, disk alarm fitted and a camera connected to my phone 24/7.

Garage is pretty secure too.

My 3 Third party fire and theft cover after a 30 year lay off was £104 quid.

Edited by Geordie Oldie
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Geordie Oldie said:

The sort round here who would steal a bike want it for riding around on for fun, they want a small bike like a 125, they simply wouldn't know what to do with a big bike.

Having said that, my Hornet is garaged, chained to a ground anchor, disk alarm fitted and a camera connected to my phone 24/7.

I think this is pretty much the answer.

125s are stolen more and wrecked, rarely recovered or broken for parts. When I bought mine from dealer they advised against data dots/tags (in fact have actually stopped doing it on 125s) as they are stolen to wreck by wee ar*eholes. 

Another factor is lower capacity bikes tend to be ridden by younger, inexperienced riders so more likely to be claimed on for crashes. 

• Like 1

£190 a year ?? 

I'll take that any day thanks. Mine is nearer £1000.

Hoping that after the first year it'll come down a good amount. But not holding my breath.

• Thanks 1

On 05/05/2024 at 12:43, S-Westerly said:

Insurance has largely shot up in price over the last few years. When I changed my bike in December from a Multistrada to a Guzzi V100S  my premium went up to just under £500. Had been £300 for the Multistrada. Smaller bikes are moreoften stolen I think.

I guess that makes sense..however im lucky enough to live in a place with private parking well away from a main road which just happens to be overlooked by CCTV, so that should significantly positivly effect my insurance premium but £250 for a 125 in laughable...not that i even planned on  buying a 125..one thing i have noticed is that the newer the bike the higher the premium so im guessing you premium has shot up perhaps the Guzzi is maybe higher BHP or a newer model

On 06/05/2024 at 20:13, peatear said:

£190 a year ?? 

I'll take that any day thanks. Mine is nearer £1000.

Hoping that after the first year it'll come down a good amount. But not holding my breath.

Ouch that is painful however.... i can see that you Bike is a 2011 model...i kept well away from newer bikes as the premiums were in the £800 to £1000m catagory... I looked at a 10 year old CBR1000 with low milage and that was like a grand to insure yet a 20 year old model with similar milage was nearer £550.00 the way i look at it im happy to ride a 650 for a couple of yerars until the insurance premums go down and then hopefully insure a 1000cc or similar for the same price.. oh and regarding the VX800 for £190 you have to take into consideration the age of the bike (1994) the BHP (60) and my age (60) unfortunately i got beaten to the post on that one

• Like 1

On 05/05/2024 at 17:14, Geordie Oldie said:

Yes i agree with what you say i also have had a couple of motorbikes stolen but never a car, and all the bikes stolen have been smaller capacity bikes...the one that still makes me sick is I had a minter Suzuki X7 Stolen and the theifs dumped it in as field and set it on fire..I cant afford to buy another one

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, Comus1964 said:

Yes i agree with what you say i also have had a couple of motorbikes stolen but never a car, and all the bikes stolen have been smaller capacity bikes...the one that still makes me sick is I had a minter Suzuki X7 Stolen and the theifs dumped it in as field and set it on fire..I cant afford to buy another one

Honda 50 cub, stolen recovered but wrecked, Yamaha RD 250 never heard of again and it wasn't insured, Honda 750 SOHC K7,  engine turned up in someone else's frame but way after the insurance had paid out, he had bought it from a very well known breaker local to me.

On 05/05/2024 at 17:14, Geordie Oldie said:

Any links to the camera setup? 

Not your specific one but what you use.. 

8 hours ago, muldoon74 said:

Any links to the camera setup? 

Not your specific one but what you use.. 

I am struggling to copy a link from the Amazon app, but mine is very similar to this

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Security-Cameras-Wireless-Outdoor-Tracking/dp/B0D2KGF8BY

But there is so much choice out there. Mine doesn't always ping my phone when it's triggered so I need to work out why, I have also had to turn down the sensitivity at night as flys were triggering it. I do find it reassuring when I am out and about I can check she is still ok.