Anyone know what this is?

peepae

Posted (edited)

This is inside my BMW F800GS and it’s plugged in into the port at the front…

I turned the dial and clicked the button but other than it flickering sometimes, nothings happening.

i thought it’d might be part of the Scottoiler but it seems those only work with displays (which I also do not have)

IMG_3110.jpeg

IMG_3111.jpeg

Edited by peepae

3 minutes ago, peepae said:

This is inside my BMW F800GS and it’s plugged in into the port at the front…

I turned the dial and clicked the button but other than it flickering sometimes, nothings happening.

i thought it’d might be part of the Scottoiler but it seems those only work with displays (which I also do not have)

person I bought it from is not replying 

IMG_3110.jpeg

IMG_3111.jpeg

1980's Atari joystick? 

Other than that I'm stumped. 

27 minutes ago, Stu said:

What port is it plugged in to? 

Got it now, I had to take out the battery and fairings but it's attached  to an automatic chain oiler on the bike.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, peepae said:

Got it now, I had to take out the battery and fairings but it's attached  to an automatic chain oiler on the bike.

And probably cost 100s. Never ceases to amaze me what people will do or pay to avoid what is for me a 2 minute task. And then will act shocked and horrified when something goes wrong, because they never noticed anything in the early stages. Because they have some gadget that means they never need to look.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Gerontious said:

And probably cost 100s. Never ceases to amaze me what people will do or pay to avoid what is for me a 2 minute task. And then will act shocked and horrified when something goes wrong, because they never noticed anything in the early stages. Because they have some gadget that means they never need to look.

I am unfortunately going to use it now too because it’s already on there 😂

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Gerontious said:

But it's their money to spend on whatever they like so it doesn't matter does it 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
57 minutes ago, Stu said:

But it's their money to spend on whatever they like so it doesn't matter does it 

nope. It’s not my money. I’ll continue to do what I do. Look after the chain in my bike and check it over every time I do so and hopefully not have any of the wholly avoidable problems I alluded to.

I remember once. Maybe not on this forum a fella saying. I knew it had an oiler when I bought the bike, but didn’t know it needed refilling!! 

Edited by Gerontious
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 19/05/2024 at 19:57, Stu said:

true if it only affects them but the poor bugger who buys the bike and has to work on it afterwards.

finds some unusual random crap thing attached to it trying to working out what and why, then wonder what else have they done to this bike in the pursuit of cheapness...as in this case?

my mech often finds problem bikes are down to "shite" being attached also with questionable methods.

Automatic chain oilers..... What a waste of time. I'm yet to find anyone that's managed to work out the dark art of getting them to work correctly and be able to trust them. 

I'll stick with my spraying a bit on myself every few hundred miles. 

• Confused 1

I had a Scottoiler on my previous bike - the one with the electric pump. It worked a treat, just fit and forget. When I got the MV, I wanted to fit another, but there's just no space under the seat, so I went for a motion activated one from Tuturo. I never got it to work satisfactorily so after three years with it, I've taken it off the bike. Now I have the problem of how to oil the chain when I go away next week.