<t>Do you use your brakes in corners</t>  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use your brakes in corners

• Never
    • only if entry was too fast
    • only if a hazard become apparent
    • Both the above
    • Other and explain why

Ok hands up those of you who brake in corners.

before you answer think carefully about why you brake in corners.....

I now use my brakes quite if not very often in corners....

Discuss.......

Elf

I brake before a corner and accelerate slightly through it because it gives maximum grip, IMO braking IN a corner cant be too safe regarding back tyre slippage, same reason you should never downshift in a corner.

i did an advanced bike handleing course over here in the USA. was a real eye opener.

i now do the same as korben does but also use the front very slightly (i have combined breaking on the wing) the front brake loads up the suspension just slightly and holds the suspension in a more stable manner the rear irons out any snatch from the engine if you change the acceleration in both pos and neg....

So small changes in either braking or acceration can be made without upsetting the suspension and allowing greater grip or traction to change direction for any reason.

amazing how many racers use method and its very hard to master....

Nigel

Of course i have broke in corners before,like you say,hazard or run in to fast.

As a rule i try not to brake at all in a corner.The rear if anything.

You see the pros breaking right to the apex.I fear the front washing out.

Brake hard into corner, then ease up before the apex, off the brakes gently mind you, dont just let go, itll unsettle the front.

Feather, or drag the rear in slow corners, dampens down any engine or throttle activity, so less likely to spin the wheel etc.

If a corner tightens or a hazzard approaches mid bend, Ill try to stand the bike up and brake HARD(if time and space allows) otherwise, gently, then turn in deep letting the brake off.

Non of the above in the wet, I ride like a wuss in the rain, and am still alive because of this.

:wink:

Braking or accelerating Will upset the balance of the bike and put extra forces on the tyres in different directions, Thus reducing the grip needed for the corner.

I try to get the correct entry speed and gear take the corner at a constant speed and when the limiting point opens up then accelerate out of the corner.

If i need to brake in a corner for whatever reason its normally gently on the rear.

if you are on the limit of grip then braking would push you over the edge but I will stand hanging if anyone on here rides at that level on the road.

if you do your barmy.

as long as you are progressive you can carry loads of braking into the corner .you can do it right up to the apex and chasing new nimble, light bikes i find i have to brake harder and later.

im nowhere near the limits of grip on my tyres. Basically the bike has always and probably will always be better than i am.

trailing the rear is a good way of making the bike more stable, i do it a lot on the DRZ but the gixer is so stable....its old....that it doesnt need any rear 99% of the time

i would say 85% of time don't brake in corner, other time might drag back brake to steady bike, even drag front to stand bike up if i'm brave, certainly no heavy braking in mid corner though :lol:

not a thing for new riders to be trying

This is how good my CBT was - I never knew until this thread that it made a difference if you brake on a corner or not...

What school did you go with mate?

I don't wanna start naming names to be honest, but between now and when I get my bike, I'm reading as much as I can!

This is how good my CBT was - I never knew until this thread that it made a difference if you brake on a corner or not...

What school did you go with mate?

I don't wanna start naming names to be honest, but between now and when I get my bike, I'm reading as much as I can!

No worries mate, I understand.

I went with Shires myself. I would recommend them to anyone. Very helpful, very friendly and taught me a lot!!

http://www.shiresmt.com/

just think of it like a push bike, if you over brake the rear it will skid and you will lose control.

the rear gets unloaded as you brake , weight moves forward, and so you find a little rear brake can easily lock up the rear tyre.

like rolla said ...brake carefully in the wet or a heavy right foot will see the back overtaking you .

was out on Tuesday and went in to a corner too fast, pulled on the front brake, it felt awful like I was going to lose the front end. :shock:

bet that was fun :shock:

i try never to break in corners will always do my breaking first and if im a little hot i will pull in the clutch for some extra engine breaking usually does the trick.