Boots? Are they necessary?

was looking at the streetburners myself. just bought dainese leathers with armour right down front of calf so looks like i'll have to get short boots. was worried about lack of protection though, as para points out.

and the black n silver pumas are niiiiice

another problem with wearing standard everyday footwear (boots etc) is the heel aspect unless they are flat soled as most general boots have an arched base with a raised heel and these can cause issues with the pegs as it will not allow you to sit your foot easily if you need it to be forward that inch to get the lever/pedal easy

pair of akito touring boot about £39

dont rossi and simonchelli both wear short boots because they have those long armoured dainese leathers?it looks like it anyway

yeah i've noticed that, with rossi anyway. thought he was just wearing leathers over normal boots. didn't think about short boots

think as has just been said that Rossi wears his leathers ove his boots!

On Topic again tho....

Get some proper bike boots, stick your school shoes in ya bag!

Also if you are planning on riding ya 50 off road at all (no idea if it'll be upto the task by the way???) you would be a fool not to wear proper bike boots, a guy I know off another forum (his mate is a member on here) had to get airlifted to hospital after snapping his leg wearing the wrong sort of boots and he WAS wearing bike boots, imagine what your foot would look like after your shoe got ripped off and your leg snapped with ya foot flailing in the wind.... Not nice at all. No boot however good or expensive will stop all injuries, I just think its better to wear the proper kit.

Upto you at the end of the day, and its not just a safety issue... Your shoes will get trounced riding a bike as the gear lever will destroy the top of your left shoe, it'll also be uncomfortable and your ankles will get cold and be prone to knocks etc

Just go and buy some boots. I dropped my Duke on my right ankle a while ago, the ankle protector on the boot stopped my ankle being crushed by the engine. It hurt for weeks afterwards and I can't imagine what the damage would have been if I didn't have my boots on.

50 or thou it'll still hurt coming off

but look like a twonk with em on a 50 :lol:

50cc and boots ive done 7months without them and ok if i come of it will hurt but u arent going fast anyway

hmm didnt you come off before though ??????

and ffs Wear a decent set of boots as even the weight of a ped or larger bike dragging your foot down the road will severly screw your chances of riding a bike ever again if not in decent boots

Right this following video is very graphic so please if of a sensitive nature do not view and please Mods do not embed

this is what happens when not wearing decent footwear on a bike

VERY GRAPHIC!!! I am not squeemish at all and this even made me wince!!! Do not click unless you are prepared to see serious foot injuries!!! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Ga4Seb3GNHM

as for not going fast enough what about the car that hist you that is doing say 50mph and you allegedly doing 30mph that is an impact of 80mph is that not fast enough ??????

That particular injury is known as "de-gloving" because the skin is peeled off the foot just like a glove being taken off.

This is why I recommended strong boots with ankle protection.

you'll be doing your cbt on a ped right? not a geared bike?

Nope, I'll be doing it on my brand new Generic Trigger X :(

If you're willing to spend the cash on looking flash, but not being safe...

Then I hope you don't have to find out how un-cool it is getting crippled when you hit the road.

Edited by dex

50 or thou it'll still hurt coming off

but look like a twonk with em on a 50 :lol:

50cc and boots ive done 7months without them and ok if i come of it will hurt but u arent going fast anyway

hmm didnt you come off before though ??????

and ffs Wear a decent set of boots as even the weight of a ped or larger bike dragging your foot down the road will severly screw your chances of riding a bike ever again if not in decent boots

Right this following video is very graphic so please if of a sensitive nature do not view and please Mods do not embed

this is what happens when not wearing decent footwear on a bike

VERY GRAPHIC!!! I am not squeemish at all and this even made me wince!!! Do not click unless you are prepared to see serious foot injuries!!! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Ga4Seb3GNHM

as for not going fast enough what about the car that hist you that is doing say 50mph and you allegedly doing 30mph that is an impact of 80mph is that not fast enough ??????

im still awaiting Harry's response to this .....

looks like when darth vader takes his helmet off in the star wars film :lol: not pleasnt. as i was saying i was talking about mopeds that shouldnt do more than 30mph. which is still dangerous but with my big bike i would never leave the house in anything less than boots. i have a pair of astar tech 4's for dirt biking and i def wouldnt wear trainers. but i kno people that have had nasty accidents. but i wear my catipiller boots most of the time.

im just gonna go throw up quickly :lol:

just quickly tim where did u find that vid? bit worried about u know :lol:

bloody hell! i don't even want to know how painful that was.

never seen a de-gloved foot before, only fingers and hands.

giving me the willies just thinking about it.

and it doesn't just happen to nameless guys in photos - if my brother hadn't been wearing his boots when his front wheel locked earlier this year his rear brake peg would have gone straight through his foot at the ankle. only thing that stopped it was the titanium plate in his corsa's, which is now bent to hell

looks like when darth vader takes his helmet off in the star wars film :lol: not pleasnt. as i was saying i was talking about mopeds that shouldnt do more than 30mph. which is still dangerous but with my big bike i would never leave the house in anything less than boots. i have a pair of astar tech 4's for dirt biking and i def wouldnt wear trainers. but i kno people that have had nasty accidents. but i wear my catipiller boots most of the time.

im just gonna go throw up quickly :lol:

just quickly tim where did u find that vid? bit worried about u know :lol:

as i say even though a ped may only do 30mph its the combined speed thjat will make it more severe

i just typed in motorcycle accident no boots into google and that is with safe search on

there is an american accident report analysis that gives details of an accident of someone on a bike that was wearing bike boots that got crushed between the bike and a concrete pillar and the boot's sole actually buckled due to the impact

http://www.msf-usa.org/imsc/proceedings ... omThem.pdf read the last case report

Proper boots are a must.

Nike air - £100

Average bike boot £50-100

If you come off in nike air you willn't be wearing trainers again as you will need specially made shoes or a prosthetic foot!

have a look at bike boots as well and you will notice an extra bit of protection where the gear change sits, trainers or shoes dont have this and you will wear through a pair of trainers very quick changing gear alot (I think when I was young and daft my trainers lasted about a month before they wore through the top with all the changing gear round town on a 125) Trainers or shoes on a bike is not big or clever as I said I was young and stupid!!!!