Boots? Are they necessary?

Proper boots are a must.

Nike air - £100

Average bike boot £50-100

If you come off in nike air you willn't be wearing trainers again as you will need specially made shoes or a prosthetic foot!

have a look at bike boots as well and you will notice an extra bit of protection where the gear change sits, trainers or shoes dont have this and you will wear through a pair of trainers very quick changing gear alot (I think when I was young and daft my trainers lasted about a month before they wore through the top with all the changing gear round town on a 125) Trainers or shoes on a bike is not big or clever as I said I was young and stupid!!!!

that is also the difference between a chav and a normal person. so by the sounds of it there are no down sides

these look like nike air but are better

http://www.cbxmanmotorcycles.com/Motorcycle-Apparel/Alpinestars-Motorcycle-Shoes/3405-00-AlpineStars-One-O-One-Motorcycle-Shoes.jpg

http://www.motorcycletoystore.com/sport/images/uploads/alpine_octane_shoe.jpg

may get those white ones at the nec 8-)

but i am on a moped with my feat in front so it would maybe look abit odd. but i like those astar street ones. dno how high they come up though

yes feet in front when riding but in an incident they could be anywhere to the side, on the floor ,under the bike being dragged along , up in between rear wheel spinning and the frame , inbetween the bike and the car that just pulled out and t-boned you,

longer boots also allow you to add an extra protection factor with Trousers that in the event of an incident they give more protection ( where trousers are pulled up your leg by friction as they slide along the ground ) either with them tucked inside or on the outside you have those extra inches of lower leg protection available

Buy some boots!

My Uncle grazed past a car bumper at slow speeds and actually ripped his calf muscle off. He wasn't wearing his boots as he was just moving his bike to his new house. A month in hospital, physio and skin grafts later..........

If he's had boots on he might have just had a nasty bruise!

I agree that you should wear boots in the interest of safety... but I cant see why people say you need boots otherwise you will hurt your foot changing gear :S I did my CBT in a pair of trainers because there was no definition of "sensible footwear" on the CBT school's leaflet so I just assumed trainers were fine. I didnt have any issues with changing gear on the CBT and haven't had any issues changing gear on my bike now that I've got it. To be honest I have been putting off buying some boots because I feel like they will be way more restrictive and make it harder to change gear :oops:

My instructor gave me worthwhile tip - buy second hand boots. Really is a good tip. Get a second hand pair of Sidi's from eBay for less than 50 quid. Great protection but all of the stiffness has been worn out of then so no problems changing gear, or using the back break on your U turn!!!

My instructor gave me worthwhile tip - buy second hand boots. Really is a good tip. Get a second hand pair of Sidi's from eBay for less than 50 quid. Great protection but all of the stiffness has been worn out of then so no problems changing gear, or using the back break on your U turn!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I did my CBT in some walking boots and wore them until i could afford some proper boots, but bought some Alpinestars with proper protection when i had the money. Felt a bit weird when i first got them but wouldn't wear anything else now.

Why not wear some boots to school and keep your trainers in ur bag or locker or something and change there. A mate came off his bike wearing trainers, was doing 30 at the time and trust me you'd never wear them again if you'd seen his feet afterwards!

Did my CBT and DAS in Parra Boots - nice solid leather things that can be had for buttons! Whilst they aren't as solid as the Sidi Raptors that I wear now they were a hell of a lot more flexible and easy to ride in which was key to learning, whilst at least offering some solidity due to the heavy duty leather construction.

Riding in the Raptors took a fair bit of getting used to after that, but they are grand on the TDM now. What I don't yet know is whether I could ride anything with a more sporty position in em or not! They do look ace though... and I think should be pretty damn protective in a crash too!

I wouldn't go out without a decent pair of boots, I had an accident last October and my foot took the main impact of the car from the left, I had a broken ankle and heal, but the doctors said that if I wasn’t wearing proper boots it would have been a lot worse.

when i first wore boots, i didn't even consider changing gear would feel a bit different (dumb i know)

slight panic but used to them now and so much more comfortable than when i wore trainers...

24 years in the Army.... I don't know any footwear other than boots :lol:

Kool,

But this threads kinda old now and irrelevant

Could people stop posting here please? :)

it may not be to you but to others it may be beneficial information

24 years in the Army.... I don't know any footwear other than boots :lol:

Kool,

But this threads kinda old now and irrelevant

Could people stop posting here please? :)

it may not be to you but to others it may be beneficial information

I agree - as a bright green noob, i need to read all this stuff. It's easier if it's all current, and this thread is only a few weeks old anyway!