Fuel Addidtives - Any Good?

Guest Sean

I Work in a Petrol Station at some Services on the M5 and on the shelf in the shop there's numerous things such as 'Redex Fuel System Cleaner', Nitrox Hot Shot', 'Octane Boost' etc etc

All of them Claim they can do different things for your engine such as better fuel economy, increase power etc etc you get the idea.

I was thinking about trying one.

Have any of you guys ever tried one?

If so, are they any good? Worth the Money?

Help Muchly Appreciated!

Guest nastro azzurro

TBH..... its all in the mind......... They aint all they are cracked up or claim to be......

Yes i have used them..... Bike and car........ But you think it makes a difference but they dont. Tests have been run on 5th gear too to prove this scientifically....

TBH..... its all in the mind......... They aint all they are cracked up or claim to be......

Yes i have used them..... Bike and car........ But you think it makes a difference but they dont. Tests have been run on 5th gear too to prove this scientifically....

Performance Bikes magazine did a test once too, they came to the same conclusion, all are a waste of time. I also remember them saying that Shell and Esso etc..... are huge companies and they have large R&D departments, if they could invent an additive that makes their petrol better than all the others, then they'd do it and advertise it!

Performance Bikes magazine did a test once too, they came to the same conclusion, all are a waste of time. I also remember them saying that Shell and Esso etc..... are huge companies and they have large R&D departments, if they could invent an additive that makes their petrol better than all the others, then they'd do it and advertise it!

:stupid:

Guest nastro azzurro
Can it really keep your carb clean, or your spark plug!?

Surely if your engine's running right, the spark plug shouldn't dirty too bad anyway?

We have a winner!!!!!!!

In short don't bother wasting your money..... :D

• 2 weeks later...

I just got a bike that had been sitting for a while. Engine was running, er, choppy is the first word that springs to mind, going up and down in revs at idle and so on. The carb float also kept sticking (requiring the highly technical 'bash with a hammer' to stop fuel flooding out of it).

Anyway, I put a bottle of injector cleaner in the tank and it has solved both problems.

The value of using them on a working engine may be questionable, but it seems to fix some problems with knackered ones!

When I got my Bandit, it was sorn for over 3 years. The engine ran OK but was up and down occasionally and seemed to lack power over higher revs. The mechanic asked me to get to pour half a bottle of redex (red) and fill the tank with petrol. Job done. It cleaned out the muck and the performance was very much noticeable.

So, if you have a proper running machine and think these additives will boost the power, you will find that they wont. However, if you have a machine that has been sitting for a while or is underperforming due to some shit that has been built up in the fuel system, then by all means use them (I would recommend redex) as they can significantly clean out and flush the system and cause the bike to run and perform better.

Its basically like taking aspirin if you don't have a headache. It will have no effect but if you do have a headache then aspirin will cure it.