contact lens wearer

Guest bellgica

I am short sighted and I wear glasses usually. Recently invested in some contact lenses, thinking this would be more practical on the bike. But now I hear that there can be problems with the lenses drying out due to the vents in the helmet. Is this true?

What is best - dried out contacts or steamed up glasses??

Print this picture out and stick it on your bike somewhere. Whenever your eyes dry up take a quick peek and that should bring tears to your eyes. Problem solved.

http://playgirlmag.files.wordpress.com/2008/05/kick_in_the_balls_2005-04-13.jpg?w=192&h=300

Print this picture out and stick it on your bike somewhere. Whenever your eyes dry up take a quick peek and that should bring tears to your eyes. Problem solved.

http://playgirlmag.files.wordpress.com/2008/05/kick_in_the_balls_2005-04-13.jpg?w=192&h=300

nah....i wouldn't be able to see for laughing :lol:

Guest nastro azzurro

As a lense wearer myself i have no problems while on the bike. In fact its easier on the lensed eyes while on the bike as i get more air to my face/Eyes...... 8-)

always ride in my lenses, and take a couple of extra pairs with me in case of insect infiltration when i have my visor open. they dry a little bit but that's nothing compared to the better field of vision, comfort, etc. not had a problem so far 8-)

My eyesight is marginal legal in that I don't have to wear glasses to drive - but I prefer to as i see more clearly. On a bike in a full-face, the glasses are a nightmare - they don't fit properly, get squashed into my head and ears causing pain, and unless i keep the visor up they mist up almost instantly.

I worse my new Shoei with pinlock the other day for the first time when my B-in-law took me pillion on his Harley - and it was a revelation - I saw so much better than I did battling with foggy glasses under a visor - that i really wished i hadn't bothered to wear them before.

As for contacts, I find it hard enough to put eyedrops in... :shock: but i might have to give it a go.

Guest Mr Miller

I'm with The Jade One here! - Better field of vision!

I'm sent lenses that I wear for two weeks then bin - well comfy, no dryness issues and nay bother under t'lid!

My Shoei has little gaps in the pads for the arms of your specs to fit into. I have tried wearing me specs in the lid, in the comfort of the house - but I don't think it was for me!

Horses for courses, of course!!!

Edited by Mr Miller

I've got contacts for occasional use - I only need specs for driving/distance but I don't feel comfortable wearing them on a bike. Maybe because I don't wear them regularly.

I bought a Shoei lid because of the fit with my specs. Tried others (cheaper!) before buying but as said, Shoei have a little gap where specs go.

Don't have a problem with specs steaming up, only visor! :roll: :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Personally I love my contact lenses - there's no risk of them sitting at an awkward angle so when you glance at your clocks it's all a blur! Also my glasses mist up a treat - and anti-fog sprays just don't work for me! You should be fine with lenses - if you do start getting dry eyes, experiment with different solutions that's what I did.

I was offered lenses but due to my prescription I would have different focal lengths in each eye!

I decided it sounded too dangerous - look left, all clear - look right, blizzard!

I was offered lenses but due to my prescription I would have different focal lengths in each eye!

I decided it sounded too dangerous - look left, all clear - look right, blizzard!

i have a different prescription for each eye... but both work fine same as i did for glasses...

I just started using contacts the other day, had first ride on the bike wearing them yesterday.

WHAT A DIFFERENCE!

I have much better peripheral vision, and I can finally ride with the visor all the way down. Perviously it made my glasses steam up if i closed the visor..not a problem in summer but it's cold now!

Finally I can ride to work and still have a warm face at the other end of the journey :D

I use Day and Night lenses which I put in and forget for a month...

As with all lenses it takes time for your eyes to become accustomed to them but now I have no problems with dry eyes...

You can sleep in the ones I use so plenty of air gets to your eyes which means they don't play up at all...

You can wear these lenses like normal ones if you wish but its surprising how comfortable they feel once you get used to them and now I rarely wear my glasses... Maybe for a couple of hours when I change them each month...

The other alternative is to get your eyes lasered....

No glasses no lenses and perfect vision...

if I was 20 years younger i would have mine lasered....

My Shoei has channel for glasses, however only one of the four pairs of glasses I own fit comfortably. I've also found that glasses fog up very quickly. For both those reasons I switched back to contact lenses. Initially trialled daily disposables, now on monthlies.

Daily disposables are good for times where you may be out and wish to bin them without having to mess about with fluids etc, but in terms of comfort, they'll always dry out sooner as their make up is about 70% water, so they tend to sap more tears from your eyes.

Fortnightlies are comfortable, however I find that when you get close to the end of your second week they feel like they need to come out sooner in the day than they normally would. The other drawback with fortnightlies, is that you must clean them with saline solution which is a total faff.

Monthlies are the most comfortable I've tried. Their make-up is only around 30% water, therefore they do not dry your eyes out anywhere near as much as the two previous types. For cleaning, it's peroxide solution in a tub for 6 hours. The time being the draw back, but the ease of cleaning is fantastic. Pop lenses in cage/lid, fill tub, screw cage/lid on.

I would recommend contacts over glasses for motorbike riding, any day of the week. I always carry a spare pair of disposable in case of emergency.

Although this won't help you, our local Specsavers let you try out different lenses on a trial basis until you get something that suits you. You have a three month check-up and your eyes are re-tested. Any shift in sight, you lenses can be changed, which I think makes them far better than glasses. My prescription has changed twice since having glasses made. I'm currently wearing Ciba Vision monthly lenses and couldn't recommend them more.

I wear glasses 24/7 and do find it very annoying when on the bike in cold/wet weather. I have tried contacts several times in the past and never quite got on with them (torics). I finally decided to have another go and my new contacts should arrive mid-week... can't wait to try them out on the bike... being able to see my speedo without tilting my head down too much will be nice!

• 1 month later...

On a related note, I just switched to using Daysoft UV lenses, £4.99 a box (of 32) direct from the manufacturers so basically a tenner for a months supply..cheaper than the ones I was getting from D&A! More comfortable too!

So I will be getting these all the time now. Not posting thier web address as it might be considered spam, so you'll just have to google it :P