Leathers -vs- textiles

I have RST Rift textiles. 2 piece that zips together.

(along with original armour, additional Knox back armour, and Forcefield back protector)

I was thinking of maybe getting the equivalent gear in leather for the summer, so it is cooler etc.

However, I was wondering, for road use (i.e. not stupid top speeds like on a track), how much better would leathers be than textiles? I know people say it's better, but by how much? Assuming a very bad case and someone comes off at 100 or something ...

Also, I was wondering how much cooler and more practical they are

Can someone try and quantify, in a make for make comparison (i.e. RST Rift leathers/textiles)

e.g.

Leathers would be around 20% cooler, and 50% more protective ?????

Has anyone come off at high speed with textiles? (slide, not impact) How did they do?

Thanks

Have a look here mate.

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=16313

Leathers can be hotter especially when not moving, impossible to filter or stopped for a drink. In colder weather though you get cold quick!!

Leather protects better in a crash. They don't wear out as quick.

Don't have textiles myself, although hoping to this year. At the moment though I prefer to have leathers.

I would say they are (Abrasive Test) about 20% - 30% better than motorbike textiles.

This gap is closing though as textile technology moves forward. Kevlar is proving to be very good in textile clothing.

its all about the fit aswell.

for months i have had an RST leather 2 piece, was nice, then i bought a Hein Gericke leather 2 piece from ebay (just cos it was cheap) and oh my the fit is amazing, albeit it is tight when worn but i think thats how leather is supposed to be ie. tight but its very comfortable.

i have textiles for colder weather and leathers for warmer days.

suppose its what you feel comfortable in really, pop long to local hein or j+s to try some on.

Korben - thanks

20-30% is the sort of answer I expected

Fit is hard for me (body builder and only 5'8"), but RST seemed about right fit

I know differences, just wanted someone to quantify

Thanks to both of you :P

after wearing leathers i feel naked wearing textiles.

Have more confidence covered in cow hide.Can get warm with sun bleeting on your back.Great in the summer with a breaze going through the vented areas(about 90% of mine.Tea bag esque :lol: )

Abrasion resistance will be considerably more meters down the road with leathers.

after wearing leathers i feel naked wearing textiles.

Have more confidence covered in cow hide.Can get warm with sun bleeting on your back.Great in the summer with a breaze going through the vented areas(about 90% of mine.Tea bag esque :lol: )

Abrasion resistance will be considerably more meters down the road with leathers.

Wore my textiles for the first time today and prefer leather.

Yes they are warm, more waterproof than leathers,

have useful pockets but the general concensus was that I looked like a fekin bike instructor :shock: :shock:

off to sunny Doncaster next sat to get me some nice all black leathers (that fit around the bum :wink: )

And Colin hun u stick with your leather fettish~ it's done u no harm so far :lol:

I wear both (no not at the same time - textile for winter, leather for summer).

My biggest tip for anyone wearing either is get a good undersuit (like EDZ), they are not to expensive when compared with what you are spending and they make a hell of a difference in both winter or summer, in summer they wick the sweat away from your skin keeping you cooler. They also make getting those leathers off much easier after a hot sweaty ride :shock:

However if you are stuck with textile, there are some good modern ones with either lots of vents, or even mesh jackets (feildsheer mach1 and I know Alpinestars do one as well). I have a Mach1 jacket to wear round town in the summer with my bike jeans and its great, its like wearing a teeshirt on the bike only with far more protection!!!

i prefer textiles! depends what and how you ride.

i find textiles cooler than leathers, with the quilt liners removed

textiles much easier to live with and much less restrictive when on the bike.