How can I loosen helmet?

Went to HG shop in Southampton, tried on EVERY helmet for my missus. And all the XS ones were too big. Shop assistants agreed. Only ones that may have fitted were £300+ Arai ones. Anyway, looking for Lady Shoei or other such makes for smaller heads, with no luck. Then stumbled across an RST Relay XS in local bike shop. Was tight, but fitted. £50. Shop assistant agreed it was a good fit. :cheers:

When we were trying helmets on my missus always said they were tight, even if they were far too big. She doesn't think of safety and wanted a nice looking one, and wanted it loose as it's more confortable :shock: So we couldn't take her guidance on it much. Anyway, the last one she said didn't hurt, and she kept in on for 5 mins, but didn't want to walk aroiund shop in it for 20 mins. She could chew etc ...

Anyway, my missus now complaining that it hurts after 30 mins or so riding. Says too tight on forehead, sides and back and says that she gets headache. She has wore before (for an hour or so) with a hoodie on, and I can get my head in it (I'm an HJC Large). It must have been worn for a total of 6 or 7 hours max.

I want to fix it for her as it'll be a mission to find another. I've taken inserts out and it's far too big, so I thought by squashing them it would help. It can't be that wrong. I know my helmet was much more loose after several days riding. But mine has never hurt ...

So - any magic ways of getting padding down? I was thinking maybe get a football inside, inflate for a day or two inside helmet.

Thanks

That's not a bad idea, never thought of that!

I've heard of some people taking the padding out and using the back of a spoon to gently flatten some of the polystyrene to make it millimetres bigger and they've had no problems. I considered doing it on my Caberg Justissimo when I first got it but after riding with it for a week or so it (or my head :shock: ) have reshaped to be comfy.

If you mash it down loads it would do. I've not tried it myself, but I think the idea is to very gently smooth it down - enough to make it more comfortable to wear but not enough to impede performance in a collision.

Helmets are made to keep your head safe mate..if you go about messing with the poly padding padding you weaking the said helmet..is it worth the risk of killing your wife..i know you said a £300 one was great then again is your wifes life worth £300 :?

Helmets are made to keep your head safe mate..if you go about messing with the poly padding padding you weaking the said helmet..is it worth the risk of killing your wife..i know you said a £300 one was great then again is your wifes life worth £300 :?

This is a very good point to bear in mind, just think what £300 could buy you! Get the spoon out!

I wouldn't mess with the actual poly. that protects her head, especially not with heat, polymers don't like heat (i'm revising for my chemistry A level).

football idea's not a bad one, mine took a while to break in but it's better now.

only safe way is to wear it more, if needs be make her wear it for bout hour every night around the house, will look stupid but atleast she be safe, plus if she is as fussy as she sounds then the words 'tough' and 'luck' spring to mind, and just tell her that if it was her choice of helmet then she wouldnt be getting on the bike. atleast you got her one that is going to do the trick should the crap hit the preverbial

and i know you said no to £300 aria but it is a dam good helmet, i have just proved it by not getting hurt on the head as much as the £120 agv i had the last time. and there are arai out there that are cheeper