Chain Split Link

dreadycraig

They tend to be ok for upto a 125cc, but they do come apart sometimes. With larger bikes I usually fit a new chain and sprockets myself, fit the split link, then ride to the motorbike shop so they can fit a rivet link for me.

a split link can easily fall off

you should join the chain with a rivette miles safer the ends get turned over and the side plate cant come off

ive had split links come off a chain but luckily didnt come apart the side plate stayed where it should :?

Ok...how do you get a new chain on without a split link - you'd have to take the swingarm out surely? I suppose it's not a major inconvenience...

chains arent continouse the have two ends until you fit them to the bike and add a link with a rivette making them continouse :wink:

Got it - I thought a rivet link was called a split link too...

I do have a continuous chain in the garage, not too sure what to do with it.

Trade it in for a blunt knife so you too can castrate basta*ds :P

chains arent continouse the have two ends until you fit them to the bike and add a link with a rivette making them continouse :wink:

continuos chains are common and in fact recomended for some larger bikes.

it is routine to have to remove the swingarm pivot bolt to get the new chain on. having said that, unless you've got the special tools for the swing arm removal, the rivet link is much easier.

just bought a link splitter/riveter to change the chain on my zx9r as it costs £80 for the special kawasaki socket to slacken the swingarm locknut :!: at least with the splitter i can use it on any bike.

I have allways used split link chains on my <--600cc bikes but anything over that i actually prefer the endless(although i have never had a split link fail on me)

As for fitting endless chains,i tend to use a grinder and a center punch to remove links as needed and some mole grips with an old nut on them to squash the new stopper plate onto the chain.

Then a hammer and block to roll the end of the pins.

:D

continuos chains are common and in fact recomended for some larger bikes.

it is routine to have to remove the swingarm pivot bolt to get the new chain on. having said that, unless you've got the special tools for the swing arm removal, the rivet link is much easier.

just bought a link splitter/riveter to change the chain on my zx9r as it costs £80 for the special kawasaki socket to slacken the swingarm locknut :!: at least with the splitter i can use it on any bike.

what joins each side plate of the chain to the next ?

a rivette so its not continouse till you join the two ends together with the rivette which is the same as you doing it yourself with the right tools!

what joins each side plate of the chain to the next ?

a rivette so its not continouse till you join the two ends together with the rivette which is the same as you doing it yourself with the right tools!

you're right that a chain is a series of rivet links but it's the bit about 'the right tools' that makes the difference. if the joints are done by the manufacturer the join will be better quality and the chain is less likely to have a weak point as all links will be the same strength.

i've only ever had one chain fail on me and that was a split link connection on a chain fitted to a VFR750. i didn't realise until it snapped that it was a split link (never looked too closely until i was sat at the side of the raod waiting for the AA man to come along!) i replaced it with a riveted link and that was fine for years.

i don't believe there is a huge difference between an endless and a properly riveted link unless you really thrash the bike or go on track days in which case i'd definately recomend continuous. the spring clip type split links are fine for bikes with less than ~50bhp. having said that, it's the torque that would snap the chain so if in doubt, go with what the manufacturer recomends.

i don't believe there is a huge difference between an endless and a properly riveted link unless you really thrash the bike or go on track days in which case i'd definately recomend continuous.

personally i dont think there is any difference

as the rivette you use is the same quality as the rest of them so no weaker then the rest

you only have to turn the ends of the rivette over to stop the side plate coming off which is a interference fit too so is already tight!!