Drain Plug

adams

5852_123723341680_511886680_2733977_4078014_n.jpg.dc44690e2c070a38f63ec783470dc847.jpg5852_123723346680_511886680_2733978_8050967_n.jpg.f2fb955b4e6c1759d5d33fbf38296613.jpg5852_123723351680_511886680_2733979_5547953_n.jpg.140067e73ac79ebff4f6adab8d2d5873.jpg

Hey Guys,

I've had my Suzuki for a week and a bit now, been cleaning her up etc (previous owner didn't love her much) - but I've only just noticed this ( I know I should have looked before buying) but the Bolt head is shot. I've got a replacement coming in the post, but my socket set won't grip the bolt head! - I'm not particularly practical at stuff like this, and don't want to wreck the bike, so an idiot's explanation would be appreciated!

whats the bike,

and if you undo the 3 bolts around would it remove the plate so you get get a better job at it..

just a thought, need more info on bike first..

It's a Suzuki RV125 K5 (sometimes known as a Van Van) - I could take the plate off, but I don't have a huge Socket Wrench (that's not an innuendo) and I'm worries that I'll shred the heads of the plate bolts like the previous owner did!

It's a Suzuki RV125 K5 (sometimes known as a Van Van) - I could take the plate off, but I don't have a huge Socket Wrench (that's not an innuendo) and I'm worries that I'll shred the heads of the plate bolts like the previous owner did!

take it to one of the smaller garages, there rates /hour are cheaper with the new sump plug, and get them to change it and the oil, get a quote first though..

again if you PM jixerman, he may have the tool for the job, or recommend a garage, tell him WF sent you, then he can give me greif..

cheers, for taking the plate off, will a normal spanner be enough to undo the bolts, or will I need to use a socket set? Sorry for the stupid questions, I'm not that practical at all!

both would work, but a sockets easier as you can leave it over the nut and the rachet does the work, also can get more leveredge with a nice long socket bar..

think I've solved the problem, Didn't realise that the bolt was one of those types with like a built in washer, and so I think there is a deposit of c*rp built up around it, blitzed it with WD and a bit of chain cleaner, hopefully it'll get rid of all the stuff stuck to it, then come out nice and easy!

getting the engine hot might help, might loosen things up with a bit of heat

Not TOO hot through, that will be hot oil all over your hand..might wnat the precaution of some thick rubber gloves, not the type that will melt..

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: Bloody BOLT! - tried to get it out , bolt head gave up and I managed to tear a bit of skin off my hand... The bast*rd is horribly lodged in! - I put enough oil into the top to make sure the engine keeps running ok, but it's annoying the hell out of me

As mentioned before take your new bolt down to a local small garage and ask for a quote to do an oil change,

they have a better range of tools than you, then its done, and should be easier next time round, sometimes you have to let the mechs look at it..

• 3 weeks later...