New tyre time

Pete

My rear tyre's nearly ready for the bin and I'm looking at which one to get next. Currently I have a Pirelli Diablo Strada fitted and it's been OK. However when my uncle popped round the other day on his new bike I took a look at his Bridgestones and they were really, really warm and felt sticky to the touch! I couldn't believe it, a tyre that actually sticks to your finger.

So what're people's opinions? I do quite a lot of mile munching so want something that will last, but also want something a bit stickier than the Pirelli that I already have. I'm looking to spend between £80 - £100. Oh and my tyre size is 150/70 ZR17 69W.

I used to have Bridgestones 017 and 020s (lower the number the stickier it is) but wears out quicker.

But at the moment i have Michelin Road Pilot2 which i find sticky enough for what i need and last for ever on the motorway without squaring off.

Its a personal choice at the end of the day

Ive got the bridgestone battlax - i want to say bt021 but not sure.

It has been fantastic in all conditions and I have easily covered 6000 miles on varied roads and weathers and it is now only starting to wear a bit quicker - maybe another 1.5k left in it, fingers crossed!

They are also not really showing signs of squaring off too much, even after a non stop 400mile motorway munch on tuesday.

I also understand the sticky feeling - it took the paint of my workshop floor....

My previous was a bridgestone BT020. They've been discontinued now and the BT021 has taken over. Don't know how old the last one was but I got about 5k out of it mostly motorway riding

I had a bridgestone BT014 on my KTM and it lasted around 1500 - 2000miles (really wasnt counting) but it was pushed to the limits all them time! lol. i done 5 or 6 trackdays on it and alot of road miles and it got hot when used and you could see the rubber starting to build up at the edges from hard cornering. i never had any issues with it and thought it was excelent!

now i have a BT016 on the rear and i done a trackday at rowrah and as the day went on I got faster and faster and was cornering harder and i dont think it go as hot as the 014 did but still... it's never let go on the track and road :D

My rear tyre's nearly ready for the bin and I'm looking at which one to get next. Currently I have a Pirelli Diablo Strada fitted and it's been OK. However when my uncle popped round the other day on his new bike I took a look at his Bridgestones and they were really, really warm and felt sticky to the touch! I couldn't believe it, a tyre that actually sticks to your finger.

So what're people's opinions? I do quite a lot of mile munching so want something that will last, but also want something a bit stickier than the Pirelli that I already have. I'm looking to spend between £80 - £100. Oh and my tyre size is 150/70 ZR17 69W.

the stickier the tyre, the lower the mile munching..

i'm trying Maxxis Supermaxx at the moment..

the're not a great track day tyre, as they aren't as sticky as say the BT14, but for general riding they're performing OK, no lack of feel, or grip..

and thats comparing to Michelins (fitted to the GSX), Bridgestones (Fitted to the Bandit6)

reviews here http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/Produ ... -approval/

MAX1107017.jpg.b7fb37f84ff68fec340b49293c634bbd.jpg

Just put a set of Michelin Road Pilots on the Fazer, they are superb. Havn't had Michelin for about 10 years, lost confidence in them, but these are superb. Had been running Pirrelli Corsa's but these are much better, especially in the wet

Michelin 2ct pilot are a great tyre.Sticky enough to knee down and hard wearing done about 5000 quite hard miles.

The pilot powers if you want something stickier.I'm trying one on the front at the moment just to gain that extra confidence in the front.

People think the stickier the better problem is you cant get them to the optimum temperature even on a fast road ride and they tear up in about 1500 mile.If you ride any motorway theyll square off.The Diablo have a triple compound i personally think theyre too soft.

Go for the 2ct itll be 500 mile before you loose the bobbles :)

Cheers folks, some good reading ahead of me there then! I'm liking the sound of the Michelins, particularly Fazer Pete's comment about them being better than the Pirellis. Frankie I'll take a look at the Maxxis Supermaxx, how do you fair when cornering with them?

j4ff I think my Diablos are single compound which is why I don't have a huge amount of confidence in them. I've had them for nearly 9,000 miles though so they've had a good life as the rear is just coming to an end and the front is still going strong. I'm considering dual compound for extra grip in the bends but also want something that'll do 5,000 miles +.

I have pilot power 2ct's on the blade just changes the front after 6000+miles and ther rear which was on the bike when I got it I did over 5000 miles on and in no way do I ride conservativly so they do last!!!

i'm trying Maxxis Supermaxx at the moment..

Many thanks for that! I will be needing some new tyres at some point (although not for a few K's yet).

And after some rummaging through Google, I found a place that does a pair of 120/60 + 160/60 for £95! Clicky: http://www.thefastone.co.uk/products.asp?cat=117

Perfect for me on a budget :)

I have pilot power 2ct's on the blade just changes the front after 6000+miles and ther rear which was on the bike when I got it I did over 5000 miles on and in no way do I ride conservativly so they do last!!!

Cheers Techno, I'll see if they do them in my size! They sound just the ticket.

XmisterIS I almost got excited about that site, but they don't do my size :( !!

Lol! Weird size is probably right! My rear is (rear tyre...) 150/70-ZR17 69W, but for that price I'd certainly be happy to go for the front one in the bundle as well! My front tyre size is 120/70-ZR17 58W.

Just wondering but these Maxxis Supermaxx tyres don't seem to be dual compound, or am I mistaken? I guess it's not of huge importance as I never get my knee down anyway but would be nice to have the confidence boost in the twisties.

i've not had a problem scratching with them, and on our run out to knott end the bike was being thrown about a bit..

needless to say, when i need a new back tyre, i'll be getting a Maxxis..

I think if I can find the Maxxis at a good price for my bike I'll give them a shot. I've been reading other reviews about them and people are very impressed but one thing that does come up a lot is that they seem to take a long time to get any heat into them and people forget and end up slipping a bit. Can't really grumble at that kind of price though!

I think if I can find the Maxxis at a good price for my bike I'll give them a shot. I've been reading other reviews about them and people are very impressed but one thing that does come up a lot is that they seem to take a long time to get any heat into them and people forget and end up slipping a bit. Can't really grumble at that kind of price though!

i've had no problems, i think it depends on how hard you ride...

Another vote for the Michie Pilot Road 2's.

I've had two set sets of BT 021's on my CBR6 and since putting the PR2's on (nearly 4k ago) I can safely say that I won't be going back to Bridgestone. Don't get me wrong. The BT021's are a good long lasting tyre. I've found the PR's to be better and having done 4k on them so far look like they will last at least as long as the BStone's

IMO there is lots more feel from the PR's than the BStone. I found the BStone's will tram badly and pull you into the slightest crack or depression in the road. I must have got used to it 'cos when I put the PR's on I noticed I'd tense up when expecting the tram to happen. :lol: The PR are really smooth over stuff like that. The grip levels are spot on for the road too.

Brilliant in the wet.

Overall, much more confidence inspiring than the BStone's. I can't comment on any other make, as they're the only ones I have experience of.

I think once you try a tyre and find that your happy with it you tend to stick with it, but I agree the michellins are bril in the wet, and I would also say the first mod anyone should do to a bike is get it on some decent rubber!

Pilot Road 2s are looking impressive! Have anyone heard of or tried out the Continental Road Attack tyres? I haven't read a bad thing about them elsewhere, but they seem to be a less used tyre than say the PRs or the BT021...