Who's been out in the rain?

Anton17

<t>Have you been riding in the rain lately?</t>  

86 members have voted

1. 1. Have you been riding in the rain lately?

• I have
    • I have not

Just a curious question. I've just gotten back from work tonight and both my leathers and I are absolutely soaked through, not to mention the bike. It really is pissing it down out there and there's nothing I can do about leaving it outside for work. I will get on the bike whatever the weather to get to work and it does get pretty hard when biking home at 12 at night in the pouring rain but it's got to be done. I haven't noticed any problems apart from being aware of white lines, road markings, manhole covers and big puddles just so a silly mistake doesn't happen (touch wood) but it's mostly just wet and cold. The wind has been picking up lately and have felt myself swaying from it in places - not a nice feeling.

So have you been out in the rain (maybe in it at night?) lately or are you waiting for clearer skies?

I havnt got a bike yet but i can honnestly say that i dont think i will be a winter biker :D i'll stick to the good weather :D

Aye i spose ill get caught out in a downpour once in a while, but i sure as shit, wont be going out intentionally in it.

I don't have a commute, but I do sod off all 'round the country most weekends (staying at home's so boring!). If it's raining, tough!

As for leathers in the rain, just go for textiles :thumb:

Edited by Pete

Commute to Uni in all weathers.

Country roads, so have to be careful of cowpats n tractor-mud in t rain haha!

Not so fussed about the rain since I got my water-proof textile trousers, it's no longer uncomfortable.

I ride all year, we live in a country where it rains alot so if you dont like getting wet or its outside your comfort zone then dont get a bike!

I would also suggest if you dont ride in the rain much best to get out when it does rain for a little practice!

Commute South Wales to Bristol whatever the weather, Skin is waterproof.

I do snow too !

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a189/MMadmac/Image009_edited.jpg

The bike at work

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a189/MMadmac/Image010_edited.jpg

Home and parked up view from garage

Jesus christ! Is the snow particularly slippy? I remember riding my push bike in the snow as a kid of christmas day, haha!

I also ride in all weather, before i got my car (which i only had for around two months) i rode my push bike everywhere.

A simple waterproof oversuit does the job :)

I ride all year round, and the wet is a tad 'interesting' with the knobblies on :shock: I've got to be careful because a few times when getting the power down I've had the back wheel spinning up a few times :shock: :shock:

An the grates that are on the roads? Why oh why do they put them on the road just where we turn? Junctions, bends and turns! Does my head in!! :evil:

Unless you need it to commute or get caught out in the rain i dont see the point.To me the bike is all about fun.Braking,leaning and acceleration and theres non to be had in the wet.Youve just goto titter about avoiding manhole covers,grates,white lines,leaves while wasting fuel,tyres,time,mileage before next service the crap spraying up all over your visor then when you get back freezing and wet youve goto spend the next 3hrs getting the crud off your bike.

Dry days only for me now.Dont care if its cold just no water.

i havent been out since september :lol: :lol:

Buy a winter hack like a 250 and go wizzing out... Its great, you can drop em and you dont feel too bad about it :D

I dont ride the horrible storms as last time it almost put me under a car. Thankfully I stopped 3 feet behind the car but nonetheless it wasnt a fun experience I would happily repeat :thumb:

To me the bike is all about fun.Braking,leaning and acceleration and theres non to be had in the wet.

yeah there is but each to there own :wink: , dont go out in shit storm if I dont have to but if your caught out in it so what, theres plenty of grip to be had from the right tyres and would have missed out on a lot of good fun days if i'd dodged the rain and stayed at home!

Thing about fast riding in the rain, it makes you realise how much faster you could actually go in the dry :lol:

I ride to work, but since it's only 1 mile away I will generally take a longer 20-30 mile route, even in the rain. If I'm gonna get wet I may as well do it properly right?

The rain has never bothered me much. Of course, I am a little more cautious but it's not a problem with the right kit. Cold is the same really. The only thing I don't like so much is the wind and that's what brought me in today. I don't know I can stand it tomorrow though so I may well be out in it regardless.

Cleaning the bike in a tiny garage or out in this weather could be an issue though...

Rode from Worcester to Bristol yesterday in what was the worst storm of the year so far...horrific...soaked to the skin despite layers and waterproofs...but the heated grips saved the day and made it bearable..the spray from the HGVs on the M5 was scary stuff as it cut visibility to a few yards..cold weather riding is ok but combined with rain its a friggin nightmare... :cry:

I would also suggest if you dont ride in the rain much best to get out when it does rain for a little practice!

Definitely, I purposely went out in the rain on several occasions to get some experience. It barely changes but you have to just take it easier and be aware of every road surface that could trip you up.

High wind is worse than rain anyday!!

+1 on that T! I hate it especially the gusty stuff, coming back from Hull getting off the ferry earlier on this year it was awful :cry: no fun fully loaded and two up.