Lefties Or Righties?

Fozzie

<t>Do You Prefer Left Or Right Hand Bends?</t>  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Do You Prefer Left Or Right Hand Bends?

• Left
    • Right
    • Both!

I have noticed lately that people are saying they cant do left hand turns but they can do right hand turns well... And Vise versa. I have never had problems with cornering either way. My favourite bend is a right bend where I dip it low and my favourite route is coming down the cat and fiddle and dipping it low into the lefties.

So I was wondering what the rest of you are like... How many others are like me and dont mind left or right. And how many of you have a preference :)

But why do you prefer left or right? Whats the deciding factor with it. Is your bikes weight off balance, is it because you do a lot more righties/lefties than the other.

I probably have a slight preference for right hand bends. I feel a strange sensation of comfort as I lean off the right hand side. I noticed this last night tootling around. Even though my right foot is still nackered I was in a weird comfort zone. I dont get it with left hand corners unless its sweeping and I get a good speed up going through it. I find it very strange in deed so whats everyone elses story? :mrgreen:

I definetly feel more comfy doing lefters, I think for two reasons.

1. It feels like my top half is never going to be in oncoming traffic as I am leaning away from the center. On right handers theres this annoying tendancy to start moving right in the lane which I conciously have to overwrite.

2. My one and only crash was being too enthusiastic on a right hander so I think there is phycological stuff in my head from that crash that says 'right hander uh oh, be careful this hurt last time'.

Both..

Equally as comfortable but agree with ML, Only proper accident was on a left but on a right i worry about my head donking a badly placed Car.. :lol:

Both..

but on a right i worry about my head donking a badly placed Car.. :lol:

Can't say im worried about my head donking a car, more worried of it completley taking my head off! :lol:

:stupid: one of the first things I was told about when doing my cbt was of a guy going around a right hand bend and leaning to far and getting decapitated by a lorry. Great confidence boost! I still love both though I'm more confident at leaning over in the lefts.

:stupid: one of the first things I was told about when doing my cbt was of a guy going around a right hand bend and leaning to far and getting decapitated by a lorry.

Sounds like your cbt guy needs to learn a bit of markiting... Your suppose to tell you're customers the thing you're selling is great, not that it will cut you're head off! :lol:

Not a fan of right handers for the same reason as everyone, the position your body is in and the on coming traffic!

But with regards to tight bends or slow riding I hate going left!

I basically prefer straight lines! :lol: That was a joke! :wink:

If you ride the 'sight' line and not the line taught by CBT/DAS or the racing line then you have no fear of the oncoming traffic as you're wheels are close to the left hand gutter and your head is near the centre of the lane and not the centre of the road.

If you ride the 'sight' line and not the line taught by CBT/DAS or the racing line then you have no fear of the oncoming traffic as you're wheels are close to the left hand gutter and your head is near the centre of the lane and not the centre of the road.

I know where you're comming from, but (for me) when doing rights, the bike naturally stays in the center and I have to make a concious effort to move the bike to the left while leaning and it just aint quite as comfy... On lefts I find that I just lean and it all feels fine, its just that little bit of extra work for me on rights...

In practical riding I like lefts best, camber's in yer favour and no trucks to decapitate you. I find the old 'see your death' of the oncoming a bit off-putting when doing right handers but the difference isn't that much, just have to pay a bit more attention to road positioning on the right hand bends.

In an ideal scenario, say a private road with the right camber on every corner I don't think I'd find any difference.

I know where you're comming from, but (for me) when doing rights, the bike naturally stays in the center and I have to make a concious effort to move the bike to the left while leaning and it just aint quite as comfy... On lefts I find that I just lean and it all feels fine, its just that little bit of extra work for me on rights...

Do you mean you're placing yourself to the left of the lane on approach to the corner and you end up drifting to the middle?

Do you mean you're placing yourself to the left of the lane on approach to the corner and you end up drifting to the middle?

Yeh kind of,

Ill go for the turn, then the bike will start sort of comming in to the middle and then ill have to actually stand it up a bit to move back out.... But I dont ever get it with lefts.

Now that i've typed it out and read it, its pretty much me being a bit dodgy at cornering aint it.

I opted for both but i probably have a slight preference for one way or the other, left being im left handed and right because im right handed for virtually everything else :lol: So im not sure, hence the both option!

I dont honestly believe the poll on both.Not many people are ambidextrous.Yes i can negotiate each comfortably but i do prefer lefts like the majority of right handed people.

Only person here who prefers rights, dont know why but I feel more confident and can definatley lean the bike further on right bends I think its to do with the fact you do alot more of them, as obviously all roundabouts you lean to the right!!!!!

Definitely prefer left, although I can negotiate right handers quite well too. Lefts always feel more flowing and smooth, I don't need to think about the majority of left handers, where as I always seem to put a bit of thought into rights.

through safety i prefer right hand bends and do take them better but for some reason the left of my tyre gets more use towards the edge

all those who are saying left cos they dont like the thought that the oncoming traffic could hit their heads, your not in the right area of the road,

but look at it this way, take a tumble on the right hander and all you do is slide off the road into the hedge/gutter/field

Slide off the road on a left hander and you slide across the road into the lorry/car/bike/hedge/gutter/field

think i will stick to my right handers :)

Definately prefer rights than lefts. Plenty of roundabout knee down practice (on my more sportier ex. bikes I should add) I think sways me to say that.

through safety i prefer right hand bends and do take them better but for some reason the left of my tyre gets more use towards the edge

all those who are saying left cos they dont like the thought that the oncoming traffic could hit their heads, your not in the right area of the road,

but look at it this way, take a tumble on the right hander and all you do is slide off the road into the hedge/gutter/field

Slide off the road on a left hander and you slide across the road into the lorry/car/bike/hedge/gutter/field

think i will stick to my right handers :)

Yuuup!!

This is why im warey of Lefts, My accident had me looking up into the grill of an oncoming Volvo.. Thankfully he stopped in time but i remeber thinking "Huh.. This is going to hurt!"

Yeh kind of,

Ill go for the turn, then the bike will start sort of comming in to the middle and then ill have to actually stand it up a bit to move back out.... But I dont ever get it with lefts.

I get exactly the same thing!