Cage problem Ford Focus Zetec 1.8 TDI

NearOn

Obviously this is a bike forum and normally never mention my cage lol, but tonight in the freezing cold, it would not start. All the dash lights come on, and headlights etc, the coil light goes off after a few secs as per normal. Then go to start and is trying to turn over but doesn't sound like it is firing.

It was near Empty line so i went and got some fuel and topped it up, so is now a bit above the E which is normally more than enough. I know very little about car mechanics, but im guessing it might be spark plugs if isnt firing as def turning over.

Any help be much appreciated, cheers!

if it's a diesel it hasn't got spark plugs! :lol:

diesels don't like the cold!

if you turn the key, wait for the

heater plug light to go out

then turn it off and back on and do it again

it might start.

if you,ve run out of fuel you might have an air lock

in the fuel and it will need bleeding

The glowlight going off only means one thing - the light works! Most dieselcars have a seperate ecu for glowplug control which can go wrong.

Easiest way to check glowplugs are getting power is to turn dash on/off a few times (make sure you finish on off!) and then feel the end of the glows - they work on resistance and so the end of them will be slightly warm.

Also it takes a lot of oomph to start a diesel so make sure the battery is fully charged.

if it's a diesel it hasn't got spark plugs! :lol:

diesels don't like the cold!

if you turn the key, wait for the

heater plug light to go out

then turn it off and back on and do it again

it might start.

if you,ve run out of fuel you might have an air lock

in the fuel and it will need bleeding

Mine seems fine if you let the glow plugs get warm, infact even if I dont let em warm up it seems to start fine.

Just make sure that I give it a good start over if I cut it off a little early it does struggle.

lol shows how much I know

I always wait for the heater plug light to go out, (looks like a coil), but tonight didnt start once tried it after that went out. I did notice at one point the heater plug flashed a few times but that was after I kept trying to start it constantly Ill go out now and give it another go like advised above.

I have no idea where to check if glowplugs are getting warm

Im pretty sure didnt run out of fuel, as have driven it quite a few times with it right on the empty line, but maybe could be that.

p.s battery was fine according to a test thing I have, but lights got dimmer the more I tried it earlier.

1. you need to be sure your battery is good and strong for turning the engine over

2 worthwhile pre heating a couple of times before trying to start in this cold weather

3 be sure you topped it up with diesel

4 sometimes water in an online fuel filter can freeze in these conditions

if all else fails try a spray of some 'Easy start' in the air filter then turn it over

Cheers for all the advice, I am now thinking is the battery and wasnt strong enough as I have just been out and kept key in position so it kept turning over, however the wuring started to slow after 10 secs or so and then just turned into clicking with the dash lights and headlights flashing.

when the glow plug light goes out on the dash board the plugs are still heating up if you listen quietly you will hear a relay click about 5 to 10 seconds after the light goes out try starting then as the glow plugs should be at highest temp at that point

No one around to help, and been meaning to buy a new battery for a while so bought one, still doesnt start though, mobile mechanic during the week it is I reckon, unless anyone around in Norwich area that could help? cheers

My old Landi would not start below -5 unless you warmed the engine up with a heater first.

For a Focus 1.8TDI I would say first point of call is Batt, then glow plugs then scrap yard if neither of them are the problem.

had exactly the same problem yesterday, 1.8TDCi sitting in cold for 3 days, put on the battery booster, started first time. Keep it running for a good half hour to re-charge the battery. Had no issues since (started it about 5 times). My turbo does seem to be whining a little more than normal though....

Wish mine had of started with the new battery, mate at work has suggested heating the engine up with a heater to see if that does it, if that fails then def have to get a mechanic out as glow plugs I have no clue where to start with them.

sounds like glow plugs to me now you have them get em changed and see how it goes

be carefull though as they can break easily and its head removal to get them out its best starting the engine to warm it up before removal

lol good suggestions, think ill just get the new glow plugs fitted, hopefully tomorrow, and fingers crossed it will burst into life! Then I best check if the Fazer starts after a week sat in this crap weather!

Update, but not a good one

Well its still not working, has had new glow plugs, glow plug relay fuse changed, they are def heating up, mechanic thinks might be fuel pump as there is fuel in the engine but when turn it over, none is coming through the pipe, anyways tried 4 different garages in my area, all turned the work away as too busy and now winding down for xmas, best I could get was a garage who will pick it up tomorrow and then have it done by 3rd Jan. Just need ice to feck off and can use the bike! Proper crap few days!

ok, i had this with a mondeo diesel! ( same engine)

there are several, in-line, fuel filters.

one or more of them is probably blocked

so, if your fuel pump is weak, it will struggle

to push the fuel through, especially when the

diesel is cold as it goes thick and gloopy :lol:

ok, i had this with a mondeo diesel! ( same engine)

there are several, in-line, fuel filters.

one or more of them is probably blocked

so, if your fuel pump is weak, it will struggle

to push the fuel through, especially when the

diesel is cold as it goes thick and gloopy :lol:

Is that something a novice like me can check? I am getting pretty fed up of it now, so probs just gonna let garage crack on with it whenever they can.