Probably a stupid question!

Not a stupid question at all mate.

I do clean my gloves and use leather conditioner as it keeps them nice and supple.

Oh ok cool. Will do that tonight then :)

Not sure why but i thought gloves would be different.

Cheers :D

Stu

Can you come and do mine Stu, mine are covered in bug shite and road crap. :lol: :lol:

Wish I could have your dedication to kit, it may last a bit longer

Lol, just hope it lasts! Just hate putting it on with dead flys and crud all over it. Prob a bit of OCD!

Stu

cleaning gear???? think i only done that once when i bought it lol and its lasted nearly 7 years so not sure it would have made a diff. then again i dont go quick enough to catch flies :booty:

Brought some of the "Leather Miracle" they temp you with at the show to do my boots. It does leathers as well so I`m going to give them a going over to see if it does live up to it`s name of making them "shower proof". We`ll see.

It will even get rid of some marks on my three piece suite, hopefully.

Ive never cleaned my leathers either :oops: apart from washed my hien gericke goretex jacket (stupid i know) ooooops was covered in crap on the shoulders, and mud right up the back. wrecked it tho. its not waterproof anymore :cry: :cry:

My other textile jacket I wash all the time cos it's light blue, and i've wrecked that too... hey ho lol live and learn, but in my case i never learn..............

i bet you used fabric conditioner??

get some nikwax wash in treatment and it will make them waterproof again :wink:

as for cleaning leathers ive done it once or twice :lol:

a bike mag did a test on used leathers ones that had been cleaned and leather conditioners used and ones that hadnt and the ones that had been looked after scored better points in the tests :shock:

:lol: :lol:

typical woman :up:

the fabric conditioner ruins the waterproofy bit :lol:

get some nik wash and try it most camping shops do it you need the wash in waterproofer :)

I wouldn't condition the leather after every ride, it will probs do more damage then good. Kirsty why dont you take your trousers back to HG and get a replacement on their warranty?

I wouldn't condition the leather after every ride, it will probs do more damage then good. Kirsty why dont you take your trousers back to HG and get a replacement on their warranty?

Really, how can it damage the leathers?

Stu

Stu

Something to do with natural oils or something aswell ( the science was explained to me, but i fell asleep listening to it so cant remember) as well as the fact the conditioner attracts dirt.

Cleaning leathers? WTF? Don't think I've ever done such a thing!

Me neither, and mine are 8 years old now :lol:

Quel surprise...lol

I do mine every twelve months or so :D

Stu

Something to do with natural oils or something aswell ( the science was explained to me, but i fell asleep listening to it so cant remember) as well as the fact the conditioner attracts dirt.

actually cleaning your leathers and using a leather feed is miles better then anything else its been tried and tested

a bike mag did tests on leathers that had been not looked after and leathers that had and the leathers that had been looked after scored better points

If you do it too often (and I mean a lot) then there is a chance of the leather becomming too supple / soft, and if you come off, you may find that the arm of the jacket has just fallen away. The stiching will pull through the leather. :?

Personaly I use clear dubin on my jacket once every 3/4 weeks, (mainly because I enjoy the smell and shine it gives them) but I will give them a clean up after every big run. (say 90 miles to the coast, etc). I hate having bugs on them or my bikeys :cry:

Thanks for raising the issue about cleaning/treating gloves though, i'd done it once but wasn't sure I was meant to. :)

If you do it too often (and I mean a lot) then there is a chance of the leather becomming too supple / soft, and if you come off, you may find that the arm of the jacket has just fallen away. The stiching will pull through the leather. :?

Personaly I use clear dubin on my jacket once every 3/4 weeks, (mainly because I enjoy the smell and shine it gives them) but I will give them a clean up after every big run. (say 90 miles to the coast, etc). I hate having bugs on them or my bikeys :cry:

Thanks for raising the issue about cleaning/treating gloves though, i'd done it once but wasn't sure I was meant to. :)

Glad I could help :0)

I do mine when there are loads of bugs on them... Simples. Part of the leathers are White and I want to keep them that way. Just want to loom after them. They cost me enough! Also don't want to wait ages and find the dirt/bugs are near impossible to get off.

Stu

Stu

actually cleaning your leathers and using a leather feed is miles better then anything else its been tried and tested

a bike mag did tests on leathers that had been not looked after and leathers that had and the leathers that had been looked after scored better points

http://www.essortment.com/leather-care-tips-60367.html

"

Cleaning

"To clean a leather item, first choose a cleaner that will help preserve the natural lubricating oils instead of stripping them."

"Leather conditioners are meant for occasional use."

Stuno1 - i reckon once your honeymoon period is over with your leathers, you won't even clean them again :mrgreen: i reckon your white patches, will soon be grey patches after about 6 months of riding

the only thing i remember reading somewhere (in a bike mag), was at the end of every season (i'm guessing once a year), clean down your leathers with some baby wipes, and then apply a leather feed.

Interesting thread though, as i've just got a new leather jacket.

Stuno1 - i reckon once your honeymoon period is over with your leathers, you won't even clean them again :mrgreen: i reckon your white patches, will soon be grey patches after about 6 months of riding

the only thing i remember reading somewhere (in a bike mag), was at the end of every season (i'm guessing once a year), clean down your leathers with some baby wipes, and then apply a leather feed.

Interesting thread though, as i've just got a new leather jacket.

Lol...i hope not...I am usually pretty good with stuff like this. You should have seen my old cars and my bike at the moment. Always clean :0)

I use 'Meguiars Gold Class leather cleaner and conditioner' whcih having read that link appears to be spot on. Happy days.

Product descrtiption:

This luxurious, pH balanced one-step treatment safely cleans and protects fine leather without using harmful or harsh solvents. Mild cleaners provide a safe cleaning action without stripping nutrients or protection. Special oils moisturize and condition leather so it remains rich and supple without adding artificial slickness.

well if you stick to it after every ride, then i'll be impressed!

give us an update in a few months time...

Lol will do. It is only when I get loads of bugs on it so usually every 2-3 rides at most. I am sure you are right and the novelty will no doubt wear off!

Stu