Speed Limit

Bogof

<t>Are you an 85 or a 15?</t>  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Are you an 85 or a 15?

• I'm an 85 everywhere
    • I'm usually an 85, but can be 15 at times
    • I'm a 15 and proud!

When looking at speed limits, there is a presumption that 85% of drivers will obey, and the lawless 15% won't.

So which are you? 85? 15?

Personally I'm an 85 unless the limit "feels" wrong, then I tend to drift over... which basically means motorways and dual carriageways are a potential problem for me! :wink:

Motorways are where you should stick to the limit. They are so busy, patroled and camera covered and there's temporary restrictions and road repairs. You have to go out late at night to get over the limit for more than a mile or two. Give me a nice b road any day on the bike. 8-)

Yep, much the same here Bogof. On the whole I'll stick to the speed limit but maybe push it a bit whe I think I can get away with it.

However, as you say, I do feel that there are some particularly silly speed limits in force in some places. I appreciate the need for 30mph in residential areas and I know that there are rules governing the speed limit where there are X number of houses/properties fronting onto the road. (or something like that! :lol: ) But around here we have some roads that are long, straight, wide, good visibility & they're restricted to 40mph! Crazy!! IMO it encourages people to break the limit!

I also think the speed limit on motorways should be increased to 80mph and that there should be a minimum speed limit of 60mph for anything other than lorries too!!

I stick to posted speed limits religiously (as in I don't go above but often go below) . Motorways I don't go above 85mph. Quiet A and B roads, I do whatever speed I think is appropriate.

Edited by queen bodecia

I dont tend to pay too close attention to the speed limit, I'll do what I think is safe, usually a tad over 30 on the roads which are wider strighter and with a better view, but even if its a 30 through residential areas with cars on both sides i'll slow down to 25 or less as I dont know when somethings about to jump out on me, but this is nothing to do with what the speed limit is, jsut weather or not I can safely stop in the space I can see.

I will say I dont stick to speed limits, there a joke, there for where the police are and cameras!

I will ride to the conditions and my personel feeling, goes for the car too!

I spent 4 months trying to stick to the limits it was the most vulnerable I have ever felt on a bike, downright dangerous, because people dont stick to the limits!

Oh and them stats are a joke, 85% stick to the limits bollox probably the other way around, what is your source for these numbers?

I would suggest the numbers of offences committed would also point to this being bollox!

Oh and them stats are a joke, 85% stick to the limits bollox probably the other way around, what is your source for these numbers?

I would suggest the numbers of offences committed would also point to this being bollox!

Joke or not, the 85th percentile is used by traffic engineers in determining speed limits on new roads.

Are you suggesting that 15% of motorists have paid £60 for a speeding offence?

I can suggest that yes, do I have proof no, do you have proof to the contrary?

If not then ny statement stands, I dont know of anyone that sticks to the limits and am sorry road engineers use it when determening speed limits, as there bollox I syggest that this also proves the numbers incorrect!

whats a speed limit! :lol:

i will go with what i feel is safe at the time, if its built up i will be careful, things pulling out and stuff, so normal limit

if its on the twisties countrys roads and says 40 i will still do what i think is ok,

always on the lookout for stranger danger also!

Its all about observations, what is possibly behind you and how far ahead you can see as to whether I drift over the speed limit or not.

Also supppose it depends on what size bike your riding :wink: :lol:

I don't personally know anyone that sticks to every speed limit, I certainly don't.

The main road that runs along the top of my street was downgraded from a 40 to a 30, if you do 30 along there, you'll get overtaken / tailgated. That road leads onto a dual carriageway that used to be a 50, it's now a 30 after some idiot decided to run across it in heavy traffic as opposed to using the footbridge, he was knocked down. Because of this persons stupidity, the road is slapped with a ridiculous speed limit (which is quite often enforced with mobile cameras / traffic units) instead of putting a tall fence on the central reserve to discourage any more idiots making a dash for it (as they have done further down that very same road).

It seems that in the eyes of whoever decides these things, the answer to every traffic problem is to lower speed limits.

When I did my advanced driving I was taught the correct use of speed, my instructor was always bleating on about the speed kills adverts, saying 'it should be inappropriate speed kills' whilst telling me to get my foot down.

I will cruise around at speed limit when appropriate

I often accelerate outside of the speed limit when riding alone on a road with no one around. As long as its safe to do so of course. In a residential area I am cruising gently at the limit. If theres anyone im putting at risk i want it just to be myself.

:thumb:

As for those stats, I doubt 85% are lawful. But to the OP your second option in the poll, which is accumulating the most votes I would suggest that applies the most to the driving population. Its a bit too strict, as we all have times when we go over the limit for whatever reason. :)

Its all about observations, what is possibly behind you and how far ahead you can see as to whether I drift over the speed limit or not.

Also supppose it depends on what size bike your riding :wink: :lol:

I haved laughed when being flashed by drivers to warn me of police ahead on a 60mph road, where I can do a mximum of 55mph. But the observations have kept my licence clean for 28 years with cars all capable of over the speed limit.

In the 30's and 40's I'll try to stick to the limits, on the A and B roads I will ride to the safe road conditions and yes sometimes I will go over the limits but not by too much as I need my licence.

the only time i stick to the limits is when im at work its my licence not theirs

when in the car i will add the 10% + 2mph :lol:

bike is a different story it depends on my mood although on the bike 30's and 40's are 90% of the time stuck to

the % are a guestimate and not accurate just incase anyone wants proof :up: :lol:

I can suggest that yes, do I have proof no, do you have proof to the contrary?

If not then ny statement stands, I dont know of anyone that sticks to the limits and am sorry road engineers use it when determening speed limits, as there bollox I syggest that this also proves the numbers incorrect!

Drive at 70mph on the motorway and i will bet my Tax Bill that 85 cars will overtake you before 15 cars queue up behind you.

Same as driving at 30mph

My Company car has a tracker fitted that will flag up in the office if I am speeding!

I will always stick to the lower speed limits (20, 30, 40 & 50) but on motorways and dual carriageways I will sometimes get up to a max of 85 if road and traffic conditions are favourable. Although I do tend to use the cruise control in the car at 70 on motorways. On the bike I also tend to stick to most speed limits at the lower end. I can enjoy my bike without having to ride to the limit and scare myself half to death.

I used to be young once (a lifetime ago....before anyone else says it) and the only points I've had on my license was for 105-110mph on the A13 in Essex on my XS1100 I had when I was in my early 20's. Got it out of my system then!

I don't tut-tut at fast drivers or riders as long as they are not reckless and endanger other people....but I also have no sympathy when they get done for speeding! We all know the rules...and whether we agree with them or not they are not going to go away.

My thoughts only.....some may agree with me...many may not.....c'est la vie!

Bob

In a response to what tango said I will add I dont and wont mock those that want to stay at the limit, some may be screaming get out of the way but Tho sometimes in a rush I may not like it that is there right and it is the law.

I dont go excessivly fast where its obvious I too will sit at 80ish on the mway but out and about in the middle of nowwhere the roads are my race track :lol: But even then 3 figure speeds are rare cos lets be honest we prefer twisties and losing my license is in the back of my mind ...somewhere!

well when it goes from 70 to 40 and you havent been on that road in a while you should follow it. New roundabout gone in poorly signed some idiot ignores the speed limit flips is car on the roundabout paralysing both his rear passengers. His best mates.

I stick to 30 40 50 then push the national speed limit one.