False representation by the media.

PhatDad

Hey ya'll,

Thought I'd share a video with you all as an example of what the media has a habit of doing and the reason why I feel the country is turning the way it is. Although it's an american news clip the same stuff happens over here and has been happening for many years. I even recall the comedy series 'Drop the dead donkey' doing similar things so that goes a long way back. I've been told I'm not supporting our troops before and that i'm too politically correct etc but I'd like to think it's because I can see through the shit reported by the media. I showed this clip to my wife who is like some of you on here and telling me I'm too PC etc and it really shocked her. All I ask is that after watching this you take it into account whenever you read the newspaper or watch the news on tv from now on.

http://www.wimp.com/misquoteschild/

I rarely believe what the media say, they do seem to conveniently leave out important details which skews the story. Often manipulating events to their political alignment's agenda...or so it seems :)

that they do.

They also seem to overreact to a lot of things, like about the F1 moving to sky, a facebook group has been made and fans are "fuming". I went on that page, and its full of people saying it shouldnt be moved, but noone is "fuming". At the very most they are slightly aggravated. It does annoy me sometimes how they mis-represent the truth or over-react to things

I think alot less people would "support the troops" (note the inverted commas for those that need them pointing out) if they didn't get the sanitised news from the beeb etc. I've seen tonnes of pictures of men/women/babies with hollow heads, split scalp flapping, and chunks of brain mush scattered behind them. Dismembered bodies, guts spilling out, etc. The same goes for the soldiers we spend our taxes on to send there. For every death you hear on the news 10 soldiers lose a limb.

What the news doesn't say/show is as bad as what they twist. Good news is that more and more people are learning not to rely on the mainstream western news for anything they might consider 'reality'. The recent Murdoch situation shows how politicians will bend to the media's will under such power that the media holds.

Don't be a sheep. Baaaaa.

Don't believe a word the media say anyway, I have been misquoted more than correctly quoted.

As for FB pages there are several out there talking about the route for UK Forces repatriations being through the 'back door', even when proven wrong by people who have been involved in the planning still pedal their poison.

The forum I run has recently been quoted in the press. It was in Manchester after a light aircraft came down shortly after take off and landed on part of two houses. It was reported on my forum shortly after and loads of posts went up. The newspaper quoted a post from an "Expert" from our forum. The "Expert" has not got a licence and wants to fly gliders although he knows a few things about flying he was far from an "expert". The press didn't know this until it all came out on the forum, they just posted "facts" from a reputable forum although the facts were just what one person thought.

I don't understand what that American clip has to do with the OP's choice not to support our troops?

I've tried to be the devils advocate on some threads and ended up, despite explaining I support the troops just not the cause of the war, as being a non supporter etc.

I was posting the video on this thread to try and show how the media/papers that a lot of peoples opinions are based on are misleading them.

I don't understand what that American clip has to do with the OP's choice not to support our troops?

I've tried to be the devils advocate on some threads and ended up, despite explaining I support the troops just not the cause of the war, as being a non supporter etc.

I was posting the video on this thread to try and show how the media/papers that a lot of peoples opinions are based on are misleading them.

Aha. Comprendo.

You need to wap out some Charlie Brooker clips. :D

What's new?

What are you/can you do about it?

Nothing.

Except don't read or listen too mass media outlets.

Simple isn't it..

No point whining about it on a motorbike forum

BB

Because it annoys me the same way people get annoyed at insurance type rip offs etc. It also annoys me that I see and speak to people on a daily basis who do read and watch this guff and believe every word of it giving them a flawed and uninformed opinion on loads of topics that I have to listen too when they in turn whine about the state of the country.

I also posted it on the general thread rather than biker thread as I thought we were able to speak about non bike related stuff on here but it appears not.

Just like the government, tell the story in a certain way that works for them. Its what they do to sell sell sell. But its unfortunately a bias that will always exist. The only way to know what actually happened is to be either involved, witness it or speak to someone who was one of those.

Like the gov trying to say we dont pay a lot for petrol tax. Its one of the higher in europe and compared with the rest of the world its massively high. They dont lie, but they tell it from a perspective that is factual but overall mis-information. The media will tell a story from the best angle in their eyes, they speculate off small comments and try to publish it as shocking fact. So we may as well leave them to it as to my eyes more and more people are becoming wise to it :thumb:

Just like the government, tell the story in a certain way that works for them. Its what they do to sell sell sell. But its unfortunately a bias that will always exist. The only way to know what actually happened is to be either involved, witness it or speak to someone who was one of those.

'fraid I'll have to disagree with you there, Foz. If you get someone's account of what happened you get their story from their viewpoint and with a natural bias to themselves. See the other thread about "unsafe" overtaking, biker says it was fine, car driver says it was unsafe and on a corner etc. Both were there, both were involved, two completely opposing opinions :)

Eyewitness accounts are notoriously unreliable and inadmissible in a court of law.

I thought about personal bias but they dont go for the profitable angle (unless they tried to be the hero) so I agree there is deffo bias there. But it remains that the account of what actually happened is told more straight forward than the way a newspaper will tell it I think. Also depends on the story I spose as well...

No one is a reliable source in that case meaning where do we go as the media is just another source! :lol:

I thought about personal bias but they dont go for the profitable angle (unless they tried to be the hero) so I agree there is deffo bias there. But it remains that the account of what actually happened is told more straight forward than the way a newspaper will tell it I think. Also depends on the story I spose as well...

No one is a reliable source in that case meaning where do we go as the media is just another source! :lol:

Report the facts. 'Reports are in that there has been a shooting on a small island in Norway. Well will bring you more facts as we receive them and will not attempt to fill the next hour with conjecture.'

'We have received a new report that the gunman was using a rifle. Here we have an expert in firearms. What rifle could the gunman be using?

The gun laws in Norway are quite strict and only three types of rifle are available. These are the H&K.... etc'

So removing the wilder speculation basically that you find in the media?

I take it this follows the reporting of hard facts of the situation then and tell it as a facts list. Thats the only way I see bias being avoided entirely.

So removing the wilder speculation basically that you find in the media?

I take it this follows the reporting of hard facts of the situation then and tell it as a facts list. Thats the only way I see bias being avoided entirely.

Yeah, when i switch on news 24 i want to know what's happening such as the rioting etc. I don't want to hear crap. Look at that teacher that lived in the flat below the woman that was murdered. He's had to go to court and get a pay out from the papers who published his details as though he was the murderer when he wasn't. Despite the pay out he received and the apology people now have an opinion of him, fair enough he's no killer but the papers also said he's a bit creepy and the kids at school said stuff about him that wasn't kind so they steer clear of him affecting his life. Cold hard facts is what we need. We can also get rid of this following and reporting shite uninteresting details about celebrities.