Now Here's a Thing

Roadtorque

Has anyone gone through life with a daft thought I'd like to do that,, Well that's me,, over the years of my life on the odd occasion I've had a hankering to try & play a Banjo :shock: Daft idea I know,,,,,,,, Well thats me, daft as a brush,, with no idea what to do or how to play i've just acquired a 5 string Banjo,, So,

coming up to winter months with long wet nights & crap telly, I thought now's the time to have a go :D But don't hold your breath :cheers:

So for the odd banjo player that might be on here,,,,, Any Tips Welcome :D :D :D :D

As you say......beats the crap telly

I learned to play guitar (badly)(blues and rock mostly) a couple of years ago and will get back into soon as the evenings draw in.

I used a CD-based course with accompanying music/tab books and it was a good way to learn at your own pace.

My brother (also a biker) taught himself Ukelele and I think he used quite a bit of on-line stuff so t'internet might be a good place to start.

Sounds like something I would do, especially when comes to music, must of had around 6 guitars and I still cant play it. Need more patience! hehe. Banjo looks like fun too, misses would probs kill me if bought something else that will end up in the cupboard but hey ho life is for trying new things, ebay here I come! Good luck, maybe post a vid after a few weeks?

I use a program called GuitarPro for my guitar playing....but I notice it can also do Banjo. Just loaded Duelling Banjo's onto it....and it's pretty good. There are loads of GuitarPro files on t'internet and they are normally just a few KB and they load into GuitarPro and it basically plays the song while displaying the TAB. It's pretty powerful as you can loop sections, speed up or more importantly slow sections down, and it can also display the fingering on a fretboard.

I think they do a demo version of the program that you can use for a short period of time to see how you get on with it.

Good Luck

Bob

BTW.....my guitar is seeing a bit more action now the nights are drawing in.... 8-)

While over in Ireland we had several gig sessions in the local pub. The traditional Irish folk music really does it for me and I got a hankering for the penny whistle/flute (whatever they call it). My thoughts were, when I come back next year I`ll be able to join in. I brought a starter kit, whistle, tape, instruction book, the works. Got home and started to blow down the thing. It sounded like a strangled bloody cat being castrated (which the neighbours confirmed) so I gave up.

Keep at it mate, you`ll be great at next years rally.

Good for you RT - should keep you busy!! :D

Also think Kirsty here can play one, should have a word with her see what she thinks for tips etc :)

That's Revs (username) :D Hasn't she only just started learning too Paul? :?

While over in Ireland we had several gig sessions in the local pub. The traditional Irish folk music really does it for me and I got a hankering for the penny whistle/flute (whatever they call it). My thoughts were, when I come back next year I`ll be able to join in. I brought a starter kit, whistle, tape, instruction book, the works. Got home and started to blow down the thing. It sounded like a strangled bloody cat being castrated (which the neighbours confirmed) so I gave up.

Keep at it mate, you`ll be great at next years rally.

I may be wrong but, I think a Ban Jo (why? What did he do?) has strings and does not need to be blew through!

:up:

I would absolutely LOVE to be able to play the fiddle, but due to arthritic fingers not sure if I can :( - but won't know till I try!

I self taught myself on guitar, got a random urge to learn the harmonica... so i did!

I'd like a banjo!

On the topic of "i'd like to do that"

Apparantly, if you put a light bulb in your mouth you can't get it back out?

I'm sure it's just me on this... but ever noticed how the hoover pipe is about the same size to cover your eye...

Hmmm such stupidity!