Not safe to ride in the rain.

nman1

Apparently, according to some woman in a mini this morning, It`s un-safe to be riding a bike in this weather.

The situation is this. Dark and raining on trip into work. Happily riding along amd get blinded from the mirrors cus a car is so close to my rear end all I can see is the headlights filling the mirrors. I flick my brake lever gently, so as not to slow my speed but indicate I would like the car to back off. No such luck, it still sticks on my tail end. Next step, I flick the brake and put on my hazzards, all to no avail. Next I gain some distance and the car catches up so I do all the above and hand signal to move back. Again no luck. We then reach a set of traffic lights and this woman in a mini winds down here window and starts to have a pop at me, stating it`s un-safe for motorbike to be out on the road in this weather. I politely told her to sod off and keep her feckin distance in future then it would be safe. We had a right old barney, then the lights turned grteen and she turned left.

What do you lot do to get people to back off. I know the one about pulling over and letting them pass, but on the road I travel on this would be more dangerous than continuing. Speeding up is not and option cus the road is mostly 40 and 50mph.

Guest philgale

slow down to 20 then gun it away, you will accelerate a lot quicker and it will take the car a while to catch you back up...

failing that turn round and tell them to feck off, done that before :lol: worked quite well

she's right you know. its not safe to ride a bike in this weather. but its probably even less safe to pull up to a biker and tell him this with the window down.

if it was a nice day i would say wobble the bike and look unstable which slows them down. not advisable on a wet road though. otherwise if you can't pull over or let them past then depending on what type of mirrors you have the next best thing would be to pull them in.

Work out where to move your mirror so you blind the guy behind with their own headlights

I do this in the car, I need to just be able to see the outside edge of the passenger headrest, works remarkably well.

Guest philgale
Work out where to move your mirror so you blind the guy behind with their own headlights

I do this in the car, I need to just be able to see the outside edge of the passenger headrest, works remarkably well.

excellent idea :lol:

Not too sure I`d want to blind a bloke behind me in a cage. Could have disastrous effects should I need to pull up quick sharp

If looking behind me doesnt work then i just slow right down to piss them off even more. Its dangerous tho, dont get me wrong.

In truth theres not much you can do....i like the idea about a gun :)

OK.

Carry a rag/duster in your pocket with some (accidental) gravel which would appear to have got trapped in it by 'mistake' - pull out rag/duster to clean your mirror.......

Most cars would back off if they were being peppered by gravel (accidently falling from your rag/duster).

Otherwise, slow right down then away again.

:up:

OK.

Carry a rag/duster in your pocket with some (accidental) gravel which would appear to have got trapped in it by 'mistake' - pull out rag/duster to clean your mirror.......

Most cars would back off if they were being peppered by gravel (accidently falling from your rag/duster).

Otherwise, slow right down then away again.

:up:

This is good!

I was going to say drop banana skins behind you :)

Most likey just get done for littering tho

What every you do, becareful she is in a metal box you are on a bike. Not worth risking your like for some stupid woman in a car.

+1

And slow right down and ride right in the middle of the road, then when safe to do so, get off the bike scream high murder at them in non English scare the hell out of them, get back on the bike and ride off

What every you do, becareful she is in a metal box you are on a bike. Not worth risking your like for some stupid woman in a car.

As opposed to them driving up your arse and risking your life anyway ?

Have lots of tissues in your pocket, and just start lobbing them at their windscreen.

Or just give them the finger.

I will let em past me one way or another. If you pull up to the very edge of your lane they should get past but if you cant do that just stop slowly right in the middle of the road and then turn around and tell em you aint going anywhere till u back off.

If they do overtake then you can pass them at the next que and carry on safe

Cheers peeps, lots of things to try next time it happens.

I`ve have tried slowing down to the speed limit and all some have done is get closer, egging you to move on faster.

As for a "U" turn on that road Gareth...no chance.

What I will try is pulling into a driveway, let them pass, and then give it full on with the headlights. :twisted:

Not for the bike to turn around or id be going back home. I meant turn around so Im looking at them and then calmly say " Im goign to set off again now and if you dont give me some space then I wont be polite next time"

Next time I do as u just said, let me get passed one way or another then use your full beam on em! Or even re ajust the mirror when u filter past at the lights :) (re ajust with my boot!)

As opposed to them driving up your arse and risking your life anyway ?

Have lots of tissues in your pocket, and just start lobbing them at their windscreen.

Or just give them the finger.

Yeah I'm not risking my life for them, if I'm riding at a speed I'm happy with and the are up my tail I'll happily slow down and let them past, as I said I'm not risking my life to prove I'm faster!

I hate it when they do that..................

I just go slower and slower until they overtake or back off

what I would like to do is wire some halogens into a backpack with a 12v battery and wire it into my headlight flash button :twisted:

I'm another one who would slow right down to 20mph or less, then put main beams on if/when they get past. I do this in the car too when something is driving on my rear bumper :evil: