GN125 starter button problem

Ricco1

Sometimes my GN125 turns over and starts starts first time I touch the button. Other times I have to push it several times. The abortive attempts result in nothing happening at all. This used to happen very occasionally but more recently it's happening more often.

Seems that the contact inside the button mechanism might be at fault. Corroded maybe?

I was thinking of squirting some wd40 around the button. Could that cause a problem at all? Otherwise, does anyone know where I might be able to download a manual for this bike (2006 model), so I can take the device apart and have a good look.

Thanks.

it might not be the switch it could be a loose wire somewhere like the starter relay i had a loose wire on my starter relay and everything worked fine except the starter button

could also be a loose connector block

i would start at the switch though and work your way back

get a screw driver and start taking things apart till the switch comes out. that's how I learn.

it is probably the connections in the button as you said and it would be easier getting another one as already said because they are cheap to purchase

Check battery terminals and make sure they are tight......do the lights go down when you hit the button? If so, it could be the battery on the way out....or a loose connection on the battery. Start with the simple stuff....then work from there.... :wink:

Check side stand switch. Can get contaminated with chain lube or general crud. Or decompose due to salt.

WD40 no. Dewatering fluid and light lubricant, try some switch cleaner 8-)

That won't stop it starting it would cause it to cut out when in gear

If it were my bike, i'd take the switch housing off of the handlebars. Have a look at the cables, maybe quirt some isopropyl alcohol cleaner over all the terminals and give them a wipe with some tissue. Maybe also get yourself some dielectrics grease and rub it over all the electrical terminals too. Once you've done all that... Follow the cable ensuring theres no sharp kinks in it. Check everything along the line to the starter motor, maybe your starter relay or starter even perhaps?

old bike or new bike? not familiar with new bikes. if old bike when you hit that button you say nothing happens, is there even a click from the starter or just silence if it gos click at the starter motor you may need to look at the soleniod if new bikes have such things.

It's an 06 model. When I say nothing happens when I push the starter, I mean exactly that. No click, no dimming of neutral light. Just nothing. That led me to think that the problem is with the contact, as at other times, it works perfectly.