riding a cruiser style, need some advice

markhicko

Hey guys bare in mind that its only a 125 but if you do a quick google of lexmoto arizona you'll see that its quite a cruiser style bike. I'm having trouble wrestling it around corners yet the guy a bought it from (whom is a friend) said he could maneuver it like a push bike no problem.

I find myself almost crossing the other side of the road when turning left out of a junction. I was already aware that cruisers were designed to go in straight lines and are the worst bikes for corners but im not talking country lanes and tight turns im talking low speed around town stuff, i just find it impossible to point in the right direction. Bare in mind that I've only been riding a week. I did my CBT on a Honda CG125 which was much more forgiving and of course my trainer taught me how to handle that specific bike which doesn't help much.

A guy i know who rides mentioned that he had to change is riding style when going on cruisers and said he didn't lean with the bike when banking instead he stuck his hips out but tried to keep his body upright. I haven't tried it yet because i dont really know the guy well enough to know if he's talking from his nether regions.

Even if you guys point me in the direction of some good sites/vids on handling, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

I have never ridden a cruiser so can't offer any specific advice but as a starting point make sure you are looking where you want to go and the bike will follow. Chances are if the bike isn't going where you want to go you will start looking where the bike is actually going, especially if you think it is going to hit something (known as target fixation). It can difficult to concentrate on looking where the bike is going particularly if you are stressed or worried.

I agree with Gayle, look at where you want to go and no matter the style of bike it will go there so long as you 'go' with the lean and do not resist the way the bike moves.

Cruisers have longer wheelbases than sports bikes....so they tend to be a bit slower to turn in. As you are new to riding you may want to check a few things with the bike first.......and I'd start with the tyre pressures....if the tyres are a bit soft it can make the turning sluggish and the bike will not necessarily go where you are pointing it..... :wink: Also just check the head bearings....just in case they've got a flat or tight spot in the straight position as this can make turning a bit harder too. Give yourself a bit of time to get used to the bike and I'm sure you will adapt your riding to suit this particular bike.

Good Luck...... 8-)

Also, when you hear about people saying cruisers don't do corners, don't get too paranoid, people are comparing them to sports bikes that get thrown around on the bends, at normal cruising speeds, they will go round corners just as well as any other bike, as long as nothing is wrong with them.

no reason why you cant corner on a 125 cruiser.. i had a marauder, which has quite a long wheelbase...probably tougher than cornering on a sporty 125, but it can lean in if you trust it... get the pressures right , and learn to lean it in...forget anything youve been told , apart from sensible stuff like look where you want the bike to go.

i actually spent an entire night in a carpark practising figures of 8 on mine at one point lol....just get out there and do it

I have never ridden a cruiser so can't offer any specific advice but as a starting point make sure you are looking where you want to go and the bike will follow. Chances are if the bike isn't going where you want to go you will start looking where the bike is actually going, especially if you think it is going to hit something (known as target fixation). It can difficult to concentrate on looking where the bike is going particularly if you are stressed or worried.

I would say this is the problem too. You are thinking about the fact it (in your mind) wont turn, so you start to look at the centre line/other side of the road, all of a sudden you are over there! Ooops...

Happens all the time with people on CBT or DAS, and it's a mindset thing.

Cornering is more about what you do with your head and eyes than anything else.

Turn you head and keep your eyes on that vanishing point of the bend (where the two kerbs meet in the distance).

Remember - Slow in, fast out. Knock a bit more off for the cruiser, go in slower and give it time to turn (like Tango said).

As that vanishing point starts to move in front of you and open up you know the bend is straightening so you can start to wind on the power.

Guest Swagman

I have a cruiser and I have a Fazer 1000 I find no difference to how I ride them they are just motorcycles, the cruiser is easier to ride slower than the Fazer because the centre of gravity is lower, I would say it is your inexperience and thinking they wont corner that is the problem, i can stay with my daughter on her ZX10 up to about 80mph with the cruiser so they do corner to a certain extent, I think you just need more practice so go out and ride. :D

Thanks for the advice guys. Things seem to be getting better in time. Awesome vid but is it me or the whole time manoeuvres the bike he seems to keep his upper body upright?

• 2 months later...

While riding cuisers , In addition to the steps mentioned above you have to keep this few simple and easy steps in mind:

1.You can use the back brake again

2.You need to think about steering again

3.Cornering lines are more important, not less

4.Tuck your cuffs in

• 2 months later...

i had this issue on my kawasaki eliminator 125 cruiser. aptly solved when it went to a garage and he found my handle bars were done up too tight causing it to be stiff.

Might be worth having a check of that.

As well as the Fireblade, I have a Yamaha 1300 Midnight Star and the handling is excellent. Like Tango said, checkout your bike for defects. "Handlebars too tight" I assume means you can't turn quick enough. This sugests overtightened or knackered steering head bearings. Get em checked, NOW! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Go find an empty car park and practice your turns. listen to the great advice everyone has already said.

One thing i remember practicing many years ago was turning the bike on full lock. its a bit tricky to start with but it trains you to balance the steering with the throttle and brake. essential skill if you ever get a sports bike with limited turning circle.